Hand brake jammed on?

Soldato
Just got up to take the GF to work but the car won't reverse out the drive.

I reversed it last night and heard a clunking noise from the back wheel, pulled into the garage and the hand brake felt somewhat light. Now it just won't reverse out the drive, I've tried easing it out but no matter how hard I try the car won't move! Reverses back to a certain point and the car goes up as if there's something under the back left wheel.

Soldato
Isn't a Fiesta by any chance is it?

I had a Fiesta that did this, turns out the brake pad for the handbrake fell off the shoe and jammed in between the drum and the other brake pad.

Soldato
have you tried going forwards? My girlfriend's drums seize when the car is sat sometimes. They will only release when she moves forwards rather than backwards. She has the problem that she goes onto her drive forwards though :p but it only needs to go a few inches

Soldato
OP
have you tried going forwards? My girlfriend's drums seize when the car is sat sometimes. They will only release when she moves forwards rather than backwards. She has the problem that she goes onto her drive forwards though :p but it only needs to go a few inches

Can't, there's a wall infront of the car unfortunately. :(

Soldato
OP
Whacking the drum with a mallet failed! I managed to get the car out the drive but the back wheel didn't budge. Drove back into the drive and it appeared to stick on whilst moving forward beyond a certain point.

Just what I needed on Easter Monday!

I'm only 0.1 miles from home, so I doubt the RAC would come out :p

Soldato
OP
Mechanic is either coming tonight or tomorrow. Any ideas what this is going to cost, require and the length of time it's likely to take for any repairs? Tomorrow is our only day off the entire week, I didn't want to leave the car in a workshop all day. :(

Soldato
Mechanic is either coming tonight or tomorrow. Any ideas what this is going to cost, require and the length of time it's likely to take for any repairs? Tomorrow is our only day off the entire week, I didn't want to leave the car in a workshop all day. :(

Who you getting to work on it?

Soldato
OP
Aye, never again. Asked me to drop the car off at 9am, then pick it up later that night just to fix a blown bulb he didn't fit properly! Told him where to go and bought a new one myself.

Can't get it off myself, had the tyres changed recently and they've screwed the damn thing on too tight.

Back
Top Bottom