Do I need to sorn my car?

Soldato
Hi,

I have just purchased a new car which is now on my driveway. I am not able to start using this car until the 28th May due to my current insurer not being willing to insure the new car. So it will spend this time on my drive uninsured, does this mean I have to declare it sorn? If so, how do I do it without the V5 as it has been sent off for the change of ownership.

Associate
Hi,

I have just purchased a new car which is now on my driveway. I am not able to start using this car until the 28th May due to my current insurer not being willing to insure the new car. So it will spend this time on my drive uninsured, does this mean I have to declare it sorn? If so, how do I do it without the V5 as it has been sent off for the change of ownership.

No help with your question at all (I believe it should be SORN but no idea how you'd go about doing it), but... New car? What've you gone for this time Dan? :)

Soldato
OP
Yes it is at the moment, as it needed tax to get it home and I used a day insurance policy to insure it for the day. Just gone to sorn it online and it needs a number from the front of the V5!

Soldato
OP
Hmm been doing a bit of digging on the dvla website, it seems this isn't coming into effect until the end of June 2011. Look on this link.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696

"From the end of June 2011 Insurance Advisory Letters (IAL) will be issued to the registered keepers of uninsured vehicles."

So if I read that correct I should be able to keep it taxed? Plus reading on that page it seems you get a letter first saying what you need to do to, ie sorn or insure etc.

What do others think?

Associate
Hmm been doing a bit of digging on the dvla website, it seems this isn't coming into effect until the end of June 2011. Look on this link.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696

"From the end of June 2011 Insurance Advisory Letters (IAL) will be issued to the registered keepers of uninsured vehicles."

So if I read that correct I should be able to keep it taxed? Plus reading on that page it seems you get a letter first saying what you need to do to, ie sorn or insure etc.

What do others think?

From your link I still think it suggests it needs to be (a) insured or (b) SORN.

If you're the registered keeper of a vehicle, it must be insured at all times.

The only exceptions are:

-if you have made a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) for the vehicle
-vehicles that have been kept off-road since before SORN came into force on 31 January 1998 - unless they are brought back into use

If you don't have insurance then looking at the exceptions it appears making a SORN is the only possibility.

Doing a quick Google for 'Insurance Advisory Letters (IAL)' (as you mentioned) seems to suggest that this is a letter from insurers warning individuals that they appear to be uninsured (and that they face the possibility of being fined if they fail to take action). By my understanding this is only some sort of reminder rather than a valid exception; I guess they're leaving it till the end of June to give people the chance to align themselves with the new law rather than having to send IALs out to everybody on the day of the change. Whether this means that there will be a degree of leniancy until these are out though, I don't know...

Still, this is only my interpretation of what I've read so it'd be interesting to hear from others.

Back
Top Bottom