Where to change copper coins

Soldato
Right-o.. Just spent all morning bagging up 100000s of coins, in total theres 347 quids worth of 1 and 2ps.. should have taken a picture of that on my floor was a right mess :p

do banks still change coppers into cash? or have times changed.

and if not into cash, will they accept them to put the money into my bank account?

Thanks

Soldato
Usually they will only take 3 or 4 bags a day. Have a look in your local supermarkets for a coinsorter machine. It counts it all for you and gives you a voucher you can exchange for cash. The one in my local tesco charges 7p per pound.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Just take them to your bank and ask for it to be deposited into your account. Show them how much you have (assuming you can carry it all!) and they may take you into an office to weigh it by the bag and then issue a deposit notice or something.

Nothing out of the ordinary there, I'm sure banks have handled loads of coins before from 'savers'.

Man of Honour
I've never had a problem paying in bags of coins at Barclays. Mind you they do go into my account. You might be limited to the number you pay in at building societies. You could keep depositing five bags a day until you are done.

Soldato
I thought changing in supermarkets, they give you a reciept that allows you to have money off your next shopping total? AFAIK they dont usually change in to cash for you.

Man of Honour
I thought changing in supermarkets, they give you a reciept that allows you to have money off your next shopping total? AFAIK they dont usually change in to cash for you.

They give you a receipt which you then normally take to the customer service desk and they give you the cash.
I know my local Natwest and Barclays both have the coin deposit machines, I thought I had a good haul the last time I paid my change pot in and got £90 over £300 is some good going.

Wise Guy
Soldato
Round here the supermarket coinstar machines will give you gift certificates to stores (Gap/starbucks/"that jungle site"/etc) with no fee, or cash with a small fee.

Back
Top Bottom