What is most likely to cause high fuel consumption?

Soldato
If you slow down lots you have to speed up lots which uses more fuel. Instead you should look at the road ahead and slow down earlier and more gently in order to keep your momentum up. If you're going 60mph and see some lights that are red a few hundred meters ahead, slowing down to ~30 and rolling up just as they change mean to only have to accelerate from 30-60 again. If you cruise up at 60 and brake harshly and come to a stop then you have to go from 0-60 again which uses more fuel.

Associate
i read aggressive braking as slowing down in less distance than normal

so instead of coming to a "gradual stop", you come to a more abrupt stop. As in your foot is heavier

BTW, shouldnt this be in motors?

Associate
All will increase fuel consumption.

The best bet is to drive at a constant speed of around 45-50mph, in a straight line, for minimum fuel consumption.

Caporegime
How will aggressive breaking use more fuel? lol

Every time you brake you're converting kinetic energy into heat energy (friction on the brakes). The harder you brake the hotter your brakes become, meaning more kinetic energy wasted. A good technique for hyper-mileing is to use the brakes as little as possible, concentrate on the traffic ahead and slow down by lifting your foot off the accelerator early.

Caporegime
B, as explained above.

The rest are rubbish really unless in context.

I.E staying in high gears at 30mph is not a great idea anyway.

Staying above 50 is neccasary on a motorway anyway.

Associate
Driving through towns for 30 miles stopping and starting, uses as much fuel as driving down a motorway for 30 miles, non stop.

But of course if you drove at 100 plus mile an hour who knows which uses more fuel.

Never tested this theory myself.

Soldato
Driving through towns for 30 miles stopping and starting, uses as much fuel as driving down a motorway for 30 miles, non stop.

Err I don't think so. 30 miles on a motorway at a constant speed is going to use considerably less - you are just keeping a constant speed rather than stopping then speeding up again which uses far more fuel, not to mention fuel used whilst stationary.

Back
Top Bottom