Vauxhall Corsa, not liking 1st or 2nd gear anymore :(

Soldato
My lady has have a Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 (2002) and sometimes when we use the low gears its really tough to get it in.... mainly 1st. Only happens in 1st. 2nd and reverse gear. Does anyone know what it could be? I thought clutch/gearbox but it seems strange its only sometimes and only in low gears. Someone said about linkage?

any thoughts welcome

Soldato
I think there fault is with two of the connected moving parts - one is metal, one is plastic so the metal one wears through the plastic bit.

When you get the new linkage make sure you get the updated all metal one

Associate
Hold on, this happened to me roughly a month or so ago. Get the uprated metal gear linkage part from ebay (approx 40quid) then either fit it yourself or get a garage to do it for you. Much cheaper than getting the part from VX, where they sell the whole linkage kit (some of which you don't need according to my local mechanic).

Soldato
Those low prices are for what is called a 'repair kit' but pleasantly comes assembled with the vast majority of the unit, the full linkage kit is well over double the price (£140 RRP +fitting if memory serves) but doesn't come with that much more. a bit odd really that just a couple more bits and the price launches up.

Takes about 40m to do usually.

Thats for the fairly new ones anyway, i cant remember off the top of my head what exact linkages a 02 plate is fitted with.

Soldato
OP
she has taken it to a friend of a friend who reckons he can sort it for free, so not sure what they are doing, could not get it into R this morning. - will let you know what happens

Soldato
OP
Ok so my misses took the car to this nice chap, friend of a friend type thing, he botched something that allowed the her to use the gears and reckons that will hold for a week or two.

She now needs to get that linkage park, VX or some garage are doing the part for £50 or £100 for the full lot, I can’t get ebay at work, but will try there, I would imagine with P&P it’s not that much cheaper and we would have to wait for it?

Back
Top Bottom