Applying thermal paste to AMD phenom II X4

Associate
Hi,
stock thermal paste is known to be quite dodgy, plus in the process of trouble shooting i took of the CPU cooler and the paste is disproportionate,
this is the paste i bought

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-002-AK

i've read that AMD cpu chips have the cores in the middle, so a small pea sized amount of the CPU, will spread well as you apply the HSF,
secondly, what can i clean the old thermal paste with? I have some very strong alcohol and distilled water, cant think of what else in my house could do the trick :/

Associate
Hi,
stock thermal paste is known to be quite dodgy, plus in the process of trouble shooting i took of the CPU cooler and the paste is disproportionate,
this is the paste i bought

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-002-AK

i've read that AMD cpu chips have the cores in the middle, so a small pea sized amount of the CPU, will spread well as you apply the HSF,
secondly, what can i clean the old thermal paste with? I have some very strong alcohol and distilled water, cant think of what else in my house could do the trick :/
Not sure if that thermal compound is any good as I haven't used it but I use either Isopropyl alcohol wipes or an alcohol cleaning (supposed to be used for cleaning cuts I think) with toilet paper. It seems to do the trick just fine :D

Also, I prefer the pea sized method too as it takes a lot less time than spreading ;)

Associate
OP
ok i will youtube the pea method, and do you know the % of isopropyl alcohol? I have a rum here, bought when on holiday which is 80%, so basically pure alcohol plus a bit of whatever else is in rum :p
will look for some wipes!

Associate
Errr... the bottom of the heatsink?

Just place a pea sized blob on the centre of the CPU, then push it down with the heatsink when placing it on. Helps to ensure there are no air bubbles.

Soldato
I'd try to avoid using water or anything with water in it, just in case the worst happens. You can get pure (>99%) isopropyl alcohol off the shelf in some hardware and PC shops.

Associate
OP
ok well i used a little of the alcohol on the HSF, hardly any on the CPU, still got some of the CPU to clean, but wondering if the little bit on the side has to be cleaned

Soldato
As the others said, a small blob in the centre of the CPU, then press down the heatsink, twist it abit and it will make an even - air bubble free spread.

You can get isopropyl alcohol from the chemist, I got 600ml for £4.75 - that should last you till your running around with a zimmer frame. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
If it's not making thermal contact, don't worry about it. If it's a horrible mess of paste, wipe it off, but it's the top surface that matters.

Back
Top Bottom