Asus Transformer Pad 300

Soldato
Anyone getting excited about this?

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/ipad-and-tablets/asus-transformer-pad-300-review-50007235/

Basically it is a cheap and slimmed down version of the Transformer Prime. It's plastic construction and 1280x800 IPS panel mean it should be on sale for a more attractive price than the Transformer Prime and the (some time this year released!) Infinity.

Looks like it is to be released in the US this coming Sunday. No word on when it will land in the UK though??

Soldato
All depends on price. Looks good though. If it really is cheap, the real competition is the iPad 2 I would guess, though it might be a while before we see this here.

Man of Honour
I will be holding off due to the countless issues with the Prime. I'm very interested but ASUS need to step up their game and I will never be the first purchaser of their tablets!

Soldato
Pretty excited about this. From what I have read the prime is more than enough on the performance front, with the two drawbacks being the price and the functionality issues of wi-fi and gps on some models.

With hopefully those problems fixed, and certainly a lower price tag, I'm chomping at the bit for one of these.

Does anyone have any clues on a UK release date? There's some pretty attractive looking prices here,
http://www.stuff.tv/news/computers-...ansformer-pad-infinity-700-and-pad-300-pricin
but it looks like they are just derived from other currencies so won't be too reliable, and I'm not sure whether or not that includes the keyboard.

Soldato
Asus has confirmed a rough UK release date of early May, and a price point of £400 for a 32gb version including the keyboard.

https://www.facebook.com/asus.uk

It will only be available in PC World and Currys to order online to begin with, and only the Royal Blue model.

I think at this price point it may just win out for me over an iPad, purely because a 32gb equivalent will cost £480 and you still aren't getting a keyboard or any expandable memory.

Soldato
OP
I was hoping for around the £350 mark. But still not bad I suppose.

Funny seeing all the disgruntled Transformer 1 owners on that FB feed being near enough ignored by Asus. It doesn't exactly enrich me with confidence.

Soldato
I was hoping for around the £350 mark. But still not bad I suppose.

Funny seeing all the disgruntled Transformer 1 owners on that FB feed being near enough ignored by Asus. It doesn't exactly enrich me with confidence.

I know, it doesn't look too good for Asus at all.
It does sound, however, that anyone with decent tech knowledge would be able to solve it by rooting and installing a different ROM.
I know that isn't really the point, but for me it means I'm quite happy.
Besides, I know a few guys still using tf101s and they are still working great

Soldato
OP
I know, it doesn't look too good for Asus at all.
It does sound, however, that anyone with decent tech knowledge would be able to solve it by rooting and installing a different ROM.
I know that isn't really the point, but for me it means I'm quite happy.
Besides, I know a few guys still using tf101s and they are still working great

Same here, I will be installing different ROMs when they are available. It just leaves such a bad taste in the mouth for people that can't or are too scared to do so. Asus need to get their act together though and do so quickly, as each day that goes by without a fix is killing potential buyers of their products.

If its £199 I'm sold.

Edit - £399 bah no chance. Will wait for the Nexus tablet.

£199?! That was very wishful thinking. :p It would have been nice though!

What does annoy me is that they aren't offering the tablet only to begin with, forcing you to splash out on the keyboard. Which costs.. what? Roughly £150? £399 is an awful lot of money to lay down in one lump for a tablet. It would have been nice if they offered the tablet standalone at launch.

I think I'm going to have to pop over to my local Currys to have a play and a proper look at this.

If I do go for one I can see myself selling it in the Summer for the Infinity, if it works! The good thing about the Transformer range of tablets is that they hold their value very well.

Last edited:
Soldato
For a budget tablet the price is totally crazy. The Nexus tab will be trying to eat into the sales of the Kindle Fire and will be priced accordingly, possibly as low as £199, albeit only in a 7" version. It will also be Tegra 3 powered.

I will give this a miss.

Roll on June/July for the Nexus Tablet!!

Soldato
OP
I do agree with you. The UK price is disappointing. Asus seem to have their pricing brackets totally out of whack. I'd be whiling to say the Infinity will be priced at around £500 inc dock. Yet the 300 is being touted as a cut down and somewhat budget tablet using latest components but being sold at a price which is far from budget.

Soldato
For a budget tablet the price is totally crazy. The Nexus tab will be trying to eat into the sales of the Kindle Fire and will be priced accordingly, possibly as low as £199, albeit only in a 7" version. It will also be Tegra 3 powered.

I will give this a miss.

Roll on June/July for the Nexus Tablet!!

But the thing is, it isn't a budget tablet. It is near as dammit the same performance spec as the prime, which is the best specced non (and in some cases including) apple tablet out there.

For me, I don't mind the price as I'd be buying the dock with it anyway, though I agree that it would be much more attractive at £280 without the dock. And when compared with apple again, for the equivalent product it is much, much better bang for buck.

I think the Infinity must surely come in at at least £550? Otherwise where does that leave the tf201?

Soldato
OP
But the thing is, it isn't a budget tablet. It is near as dammit the same performance spec as the prime, which is the best specced non (and in some cases including) apple tablet out there.

For me, I don't mind the price as I'd be buying the dock with it anyway, though I agree that it would be much more attractive at £280 without the dock. And when compared with apple again, for the equivalent product it is much, much better bang for buck.

I think the Infinity must surely come in at at least £550? Otherwise where does that leave the tf201?

You are right internal guts wise it is so close to the prime, it's just that damn dock on release is a problem though which pushes the price up. Especially if you don't want the dock straight away or at all.

Near the £600 mark is ridiculous though for the Infinity. I just can't see people going for it. It is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong I prefer the Android platform over iOS but you can easily build/be on your way to a med/high spec PC for that amount of money. For what tablets are able to do at this moment in time it is an excessive amount of money. If this was a Windows 8 tablet then I might be able to justify the price... but I guess we just speculating with the price of the Infinity.

I'm still not sure what to do really. I need a portable and lightweight flash enabled tablet for work but the options aren't exactly queuing up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom