Overclockers UK Forums

Overclockers UK Forums (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/index.php)
-   Motors (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Hand brake jammed on? (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18132719)

shifty_uk 5th Apr 2010 09:53

Hand brake jammed on?

Just got up to take the GF to work but the car won't reverse out the drive.

I reversed it last night and heard a clunking noise from the back wheel, pulled into the garage and the hand brake felt somewhat light. Now it just won't reverse out the drive, I've tried easing it out but no matter how hard I try the car won't move! Reverses back to a certain point and the car goes up as if there's something under the back left wheel.

Lopéz 5th Apr 2010 09:56

Is it disc or drum? Certainly sounds like it's jammed on, which makes me think drum brakes and the shoe has possibly come adrift inside the drum.

shifty_uk 5th Apr 2010 09:57

Drum I would imagine. It's a Renault Clio.

squerble 5th Apr 2010 09:57

Isn't a Fiesta by any chance is it?

I had a Fiesta that did this, turns out the brake pad for the handbrake fell off the shoe and jammed in between the drum and the other brake pad.

Lopéz 5th Apr 2010 09:57

Time to get out ze big 'ammer.

Disco Boy 5th Apr 2010 10:03

have you tried going forwards? My girlfriend's drums seize when the car is sat sometimes. They will only release when she moves forwards rather than backwards. She has the problem that she goes onto her drive forwards though :p but it only needs to go a few inches

shifty_uk 5th Apr 2010 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco Boy (Post 16302354)
have you tried going forwards? My girlfriend's drums seize when the car is sat sometimes. They will only release when she moves forwards rather than backwards. She has the problem that she goes onto her drive forwards though :p but it only needs to go a few inches

Can't, there's a wall infront of the car unfortunately. :(

gbradders123 5th Apr 2010 10:10

give the drums a thrash with a big hammer, should ping of then.

Disco Boy 5th Apr 2010 10:12

there isn't even a few inches? :(

shifty_uk 5th Apr 2010 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbradders123 (Post 16302392)
give the drums a thrash with a big hammer, should ping of then.

Looks like it'll have to be this!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco Boy (Post 16302398)
there isn't even a few inches? :(

Yeah, I had roughly just under a metre but it didn't help.

shifty_uk 5th Apr 2010 10:32

Whacking the drum with a mallet failed! I managed to get the car out the drive but the back wheel didn't budge. Drove back into the drive and it appeared to stick on whilst moving forward beyond a certain point.

Just what I needed on Easter Monday!

I'm only 0.1 miles from home, so I doubt the RAC would come out :p

gbradders123 5th Apr 2010 10:38

could be the cable seized, looks like you will have to whip the drum offf then! what apain!

shifty_uk 5th Apr 2010 10:55

Mechanic is either coming tonight or tomorrow. Any ideas what this is going to cost, require and the length of time it's likely to take for any repairs? Tomorrow is our only day off the entire week, I didn't want to leave the car in a workshop all day. :(

Lopéz 5th Apr 2010 11:57

Until the drum cover is off you (and he) won't know anything.

Jonny ///M 5th Apr 2010 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by shifty_uk (Post 16302619)
Mechanic is either coming tonight or tomorrow. Any ideas what this is going to cost, require and the length of time it's likely to take for any repairs? Tomorrow is our only day off the entire week, I didn't want to leave the car in a workshop all day. :(

Who you getting to work on it?

shifty_uk 5th Apr 2010 12:38

Some chap from EK Jonny, recommended by a neighbour. Last garage(in Hillhouse) I took the car to was a joke.

Jonny ///M 5th Apr 2010 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by shifty_uk (Post 16303279)
Some chap from EK Jonny, recommended by a neighbour. Last garage(in Hillhouse) I took the car to was a joke.

Aye good. Was it Falconers garage you used before? He's my neighbour and was shocking last two times my brother used him.

shifty_uk 5th Apr 2010 13:02

Alison Autos(I think?) on Pollock Avenue?

Jonny ///M 5th Apr 2010 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by shifty_uk (Post 16303414)
Alison Autos(I think?) on Pollock Avenue?

Ah right I know that one! I wouldn't like to use that one either ;)

Good luck with getting it fixed anyway. I had fun removing a hub nut and drum before on a Renault :o

shifty_uk 5th Apr 2010 13:23

Aye, never again. Asked me to drop the car off at 9am, then pick it up later that night just to fix a blown bulb he didn't fit properly! Told him where to go and bought a new one myself.

Can't get it off myself, had the tyres changed recently and they've screwed the damn thing on too tight.

barrie0 5th Apr 2010 13:43

Had a similar problem on my sisters 206, the brake lining had come off the shoe! apparently the chap in the car parts shop reckoned it happens a lot.

shifty_uk 5th Apr 2010 17:29

Just an update for some advice:

Mechanic just came out there, he tried and tried but the drum(?) will not budge, apparently he needs to take it to the workshop and grind it off.

He can't do it until Thursday so it looks like I'll have to organise a truck to stick the car on....No idea how much that'll cost? Garage is 5 miles away. Or, I could play dumb and try the RAC, begging them to help me out. Only problem being, as I said, I'm literally just up the road from my house, 0.1 miles according to google maps.

Incredibly gutted, it looks like I'm stuck in the house until Thursday. I don't even want to think about the cost of all this!

silversurfer 5th Apr 2010 17:31

Jack it up onto mcdonalds trays and drag /tow it

Lopéz 5th Apr 2010 17:37

Sounds like whatever has broken inside the drum (handbrake mechanism or the shoe I expect) is now jamming against the drum. Net result, the drum won't come off so he can't get inside to see what's broken and jamming against the drum without cutting the drum off.

Don't the garage have a recovery vehicle to take your car in?

silversurfer 5th Apr 2010 17:46

This can happen with brake disks also, if left on for too long they rust up.
I think a hammer would work there.

Surely a drum can be taken apart and a new one fitted. You just need someone to bring round a big blowtorch in back of a van

Taxi drivers are good people ask about this, mini cab guys who do over 100k a year dont go to main dealers they get it done as cheap as possible. Ask one of them for who does work on the cars

Lopéz 5th Apr 2010 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by silversurfer (Post 16305162)
Surely a drum can be taken apart and a new one fitted. You just need someone to bring round a big blowtorch in back of a van

Occasionally a drum will jam on - you can't lever it off because whatever has jammed inside is only being forced harder against the drum by you trying to force it off - so in those situations, you have to cut the old drum off (usual way is to cut slits in it with a grinder and then hammer and chisel until it splits open) - which of course means you then have to buy a new drum.

Batf1nk 5th Apr 2010 18:10

Sounds like lopez is right to me. Same thing happened to my GF's car a month or so ago. Brake material came away from the backing plate and wedged itself in, locking the brake on.

No need for grinding, hammering, blowtorching(!) or cutting though. A disk/gear puller will have it off in 2 minutes.

http://www.timguydesigns.co.uk/tim/pics/disk-puller.jpg

About £20 from Halfords.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165469

shifty_uk 5th Apr 2010 18:14

I don't understand, the car was absolutely fine last night. I heard the clunk noise as I was leaving work. Came home, parked the car up, all was fine. Jumped back in the car to head out later last night and it reversed out and parked up without any issues.
Quote:

Originally Posted by silversurfer (Post 16305042)
Jack it up onto mcdonalds trays and drag /tow it

Don't think that'll hold up too well on the dual carriageway. :p
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lopéz (Post 16305092)
Don't the garage have a recovery vehicle to take your car in?

Apparently they've never needed to use one.

How much is a new drum likely to cost? I saw Renault Kangoo ones online there for £150 :eek::(:(

shifty_uk 5th Apr 2010 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Batf1nk (Post 16305307)
No need for grinding, hammering, blowtorching(!) or cutting though. A disk/gear puller will have it off in 2 minutes.

http://www.timguydesigns.co.uk/tim/pics/disk-puller.jpg

About £20 from Halfords.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165469

Mechanic had a tool which looked relatively similar to that. Long bar type thing with a level he pulled back and forth.

Batf1nk 5th Apr 2010 18:18

You dont need a new drum. Just new brake shoes that go in the drum.

Its a fairly common problem. New shoes are £20 tops.

EDIT. All you do with that tool is hook the hook bits over the edge of the disk and wind the centre bit in with a spanner/ratchet.

As is rotates it'll pull the disk/hub back.