[Build Log] The Tesseract. Custom loop with tempered glass and LED touch screen (COMPLETED)

Associate
A few words: I joined OverclockersUK when I started this built for some advice and comments. However the account processing time is took too long. I finished my pc before allowed to post a thread here :D So here it is (with the recorded build log). The build log pictures have quite bad quality (used phone), but the end result ones have better quality (used a proper camera). Though my photography skill sucks.
---------------------- --------------------------
Hi guys, let's get started with my pc building experience: 0,5 PC built.
My current PC was built 6 years ago together with a friend of mine. He did most of the work actually. I did not keep the PC very well maintained, but somehow it survived. It was AMD built, 600e.
RGDqYb2.jpg

I have no DIY exp. I have been studying business my whole life, my work is business related as well. I can assemble IKEAs though :D

This new one I've decided to build on my own. I know I'm inexperience, but I'm very ambitious. I want a solid, well designed and good looking case to house a fully water-cooled rigid tubing beastly (non 4K) PC. I will use my PC for mostly gaming, then some music production and slight video/image editing. I plan to OC both CPU and GPU. Let's see if my build gives enough heat room for some nice and tight OC!

After some research, the IN WIN 909 came up, but as it's not even released yet, and the released price will be at ~450€. I decided not to wait (seems too much for just a case, how ever awesome it is, now I cry every nights having not waited).

OK, let's talk components:
PC
Case: IN WIN 904 Plus
MOBO: Initially ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO, now ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE
PSU: AX 760 80+ Platinum Modular
RAM: 2x 8 GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 CL10
CPU: i7 4790k
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArticStorm (huuuuuuuuge)
SSD: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
HDD: 6 years old 1 TB HDD, seagate something I think :)
Monitor: LG 29UM65-P (overclocked at 75hz) (ill upgrade to 34UM95-P when I have more money)
Fan controller: NZXT Sentry 3

Water cooling components
Radiators: 2 x 140mm Alphacool NexXxos ST30 + 120mm Alphacool NexXxos ST30
Fans: 2x 140mm NOCTUA NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM + 1 x 120mm NOCTUA NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
CPU water block: Alphacool NexXxoS XP³ Light - Acetal Nickel
Pump + reservoir: Alphacool DDC pump Laing Ultra set
Hard tubes and normal tubes
Fittings and adapters
LEDs

Before I began, I did A LOT of research (over the course of 3 months) about the case. I KNEW how difficult it will be to pull of this build basing on my non existing experience. But I'll do it anyway :D

The general plan:
69ZAOFp.jpg

Flow as follow:
Pump + res >> GPU >> 120mmRad >> CPU >> 2x140mmRADs >> Pump + Res
--------------------------------------------
The case arrived, time for admiration and early measurements:
yM43NCq.jpg
Nr8OZOO.jpg
Nothing to do now but wait
--------------------------------------------
Water cooling components arrived
Time for some more early assembling and measuring!
First of all, the combo stack RADs + Fan
I want to do a stack Fan/Rad/Fan/Rad pull/push config at the low right bottom intake of the case.
uCzL15j.jpg
WTFFFF? Really Alphacool? You have to mess the logo up? :'(
DupzKG8.jpg
Looks like it's going to fit!

Now on to the back RAD (this will push the air out)
m8sqexZ.jpg
Initially looks ok
Ran into a major problem here
mwV4nGF.jpg
NWhjYBf.jpg

As you can see, the fitting holes are too close to the MOBO, and 1 were blocked, so I have to change from Fan/Rad to Rad/Fan and put the rad side way to the right for some clearance. But for now I don't have 5cm M3 screws. I'll get some later.

And of course, I forgot to order pump and reservoir :D:D:D:D:D
---------------------------------------------
19.08, UPDATED! :D With pictures working now
Ordered pump and reservoir but they are out of stock, have to wait :(
All other components arrived! Let's assemble what we have!
OEAGAMm.jpg

First MOBO + CPU + Water block, easyyyyyy
Then SSD, RAMs easyyyyyyy
PZPyZJl.jpg

Then GPU, wow this thing is heavy, there's no place for the cane. Screw it, Imma find some other solution later
There is just enough clearance for the stack RADs!!!!!
WAIT A MINUTE!!!
Ct2dDb0.jpg

See them SATA ports and POWER_LED, POWER_SW pins? ( a bit dark)
They completely block any attempt to push the stack RADs into place!!!!!!

Welp, ladies and gentlemen, time for our first compromise: Bye bye ATX Hero, Hello mATX GENE
For that, we will wait!
-------------------------------------------
ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE arrived
Still no pump and res
Much more space now. BUT, 2nd compromise: the MOBO is still blocking the 2nd RAD, we will have to be satisfy with 1 RAD and pull/push fan config :(((((
-------------------------------------------
It is now 4.a.m
I'm too tired to take pictures. Just vomited from newly painted plastics and rubbers. Ate 2 boiled eggs. Vomitted some more.
Cable management is still no where to be found, cables EVERY where, can't close the glass panels.
I'll go to sleep, have to work at 8 a.m tomorrr..... today.

It is now 11.48 p.m
FINALLY!!! Most of the stuffs is done, except for the back rad ( still waiting for the M3 screws, pump and res)

fQNRhr0.jpg
R51NS5D.jpg

gNUYmnQ.jpg
AHA! You thought I forgot about the fan controller, didn't you!

And the back cable management, glass panel closes almost nicely, still have to give some tough love to completely close it though
nCR0X6o.jpg
o3hsja4.jpg
Don't worry, you won't see anything inside without the flash. It's black glass panel ;)

OK let's call it a successful day and go to sleep. Also, let's not forget to support the GPU so it won't crash the whole thing
ZLieuqD.jpg

Good night!
----------------------------------------------------
Alphacool confirmed shipping, should receive the rest of the water cooling components on Friday.
They were generous enough to provide me a free GELID Solutions GC Extreme thermal paste. The funny thing is, I paid before they said it was free because of my delayed shipping, so they add another one for free :D Quite good customer service so far.

It is 11 p.m
Apparently I forgot to plug in the second USB port of the case, AND my fan setup is pushing air out instead of pulling air in. Gotta change those.
DONE
QghwY0c.jpg

I was not satisfied with how the ATX 24 pin power cable looks. So I made an effort of taking everything out and reroute the cable. MUCH better now IMO
hrJKbo9.jpg
znk4KM7.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------

2 more days to go, I'm becoming very impatient.
Let's test my tools if they are can cut and bend the acrylic tubes!

FIGHT 1: Acrylic Tube VS Mini Hack Saw (black banana for scale and political correctness)
N1holVr.jpg

Acrylic Tube 1 - Mini Hack Saw 0. I'll have to get a bigger hack saw from somewhere tomorrow
B5MLId0.jpg

FIGHT 2: Tag team Acrylic Tube + Bending Silicon VS Duct Tape + Gf's Hair dryer
2sOW5oX.jpg

Acrylic Tube + Bending Silicon 0 - Duct Tape + Gf's Hair dryer 1
mxpQYxz.jpg
hQE8XRo.jpg

Not the best bend ever, but no blister or bubble, which is fantastic :D
-------
So fast forward. Apparently I didn't plan well enough for hard tube to fit in this build. So I used normal tubes instead.
One of the 140mm NOCTUA fan died, already sent it back for a replacement.
I added a red rigid LEDs stick on the ceiling of the case.
Originally I wanted to control it with the fan controller, however, it couldn't because of reasons. So I plugged the LEDs to Cha_fan2 port on the Mobo instead. When CPU reaches temp of 55, the red LEDs in the case lights up, keyboard and mouse have game profile with red LEDs; and desktop screen changes automatically to red theme. So basically game mode
When CPU temp drops to 30, everything revert back to UV purple, normal mode

Overclocking and temperature

Overclocking:
CPU: stable at: 4.7 Ghz at 1.285v (I didn't push or try to find the max)
GPU: Default clock at 1026MHz Boost 1114MHz, default memory at 1753MHz. OC to 1276MHz Boost 1364MHz, memory at 1803. Stock voltage

Temperature:
CPU: idle 35 C, max load 75 C
GPU: idle 34 C, max load 63 C

imo this is quite good result consider this case has ****** airflow, also my cable management is not the best. I plan to reroute the tubes after 6 months.
Noise wise, a slight hums when idle, and just a bit louder when gaming. I'm really satisfied with the noise level, probably even better when I get the replacement for the 140mm fan to complete the push/pull setup.

Performance:
I only tested it with Firestrike and got 16610, don't know if this is good or bad for my build: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/8351871
xq1Z0cI.jpg
c4EJVGu.jpg
yj5VJlf.jpg
YtcOVG4.jpg
KCiHriG.jpg
1rCijhr.jpg
VHt3K4g.jpg
ozUBKby.jpg
kQwWCaZ.jpg
ZrUv1G5.jpg
2NPQW9k.jpg
Lqnz39e.jpg
H3n2OKN.jpg
iTpBvXu.jpg
xqcbZOY.jpg
QLKK6s3.jpg
a4maIvT.jpg

Overall I'm happy with the build. It was quite stressful for first timer, but now that I have experienced it. The next one should be much easier and better!
Let me know what you think. Or if you have any question, please ask :D
Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Amazing work for first time water build mate, very impressive. Looks great in situ too. I'm getting a real soft spot for In Win cases...

Associate
OP
Thanks a lot! :D
Have to be honest, I was extremely lucky.
So the pump combo was on top of the PSU fan grill, when putting together the pump+top+reservoir. I forgot the O ring between the pump and the top (it stuck to the detached part of the pump). Having not known that, I plugged it in the pump to the PSU, turned the PSU on just to see if the pump works (no water yet, I just want to see for 0,5 sec that the pump works). But the pump didn't, because I forgot to jump the 24-pin ATX connector.
Of course I didn't know why at the time, I just thought there's something wrong with either the PSU or the pump, so I connected the pump to my old PC's PSU to test, and disconnected the new PSU, then poured water in. BAM! Leaked straight through the pump into the new PSU (unplugged now).
Check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7m83USe2Cw and imagine that on top of a plugged in turned on PSU
I took the video at the time to complain to Alphacool. Then the next morning realized it was my fault :)

Associate
Lol that video is every watercooler's worst nightmare :D Glad you got it sorted.

Love the look of the case, if I could change anything it would be the LED lighting, think with a bit of work it could look epic.

Associate
OP
That night I had a dream in which I was building a PC :D
What would you suggest or have in mind regarding the LED lighting?

Associate
Oh man thats got to be your worst nightmare come true, how are the components doing now? Dried out ok?

You could try rgb lighting in that lovely glass case, iirc there is one option called nzxt hue, or the one I have seen mention more recently is the corsair link one...

Associate
OP
Oh man thats got to be your worst nightmare come true, how are the components doing now? Dried out ok?

You could try rgb lighting in that lovely glass case, iirc there is one option called nzxt hue, or the one I have seen mention more recently is the corsair link one...

Yeah everything was fine, it happened some time ago, now my PC works great. It was only distilled water so I let it dry overnight with some blow dryer action in the morning, and then continued building the PC like nothing ever happened :D
I have an idea of an RGB LED strip of 3-5 LEDs, stick it in the top right corner (top right corner of the MOBO), the light will be directed diagonally giving some ,hopefully, nice lighting. But only if there's a touch screen LED controller to replace the NZXT Sentry 3 (controlling my exhaust fan now, I can turn it off completely during normal usage, if I replace that, ill just stick the back fan to CPU_OPT to mirror the intake fan).
Ill do it after 6-12 months when I maintain the loop. Now gotta enjoy The Witcher 3 :cool:

Associate
OP
Thanks :D Actually it's not that scary as long as you take precautions (not like I did with the pump though :) )
The compression fittings are actually quite good, I was wrestling with them to get them in places where I wanted them to be. Tightened and un-tightened and tightened and un-tightened over and over again. I was pretty sure that some of the O rings would be damaged at the end, and 100% there will be leak somewhere. But there wasn't any. And all the time building, I didn't use any anti-static precaution. Still everything works. Hardware nowadays are tough ;)
The only regret was I didn't remove the original barbs of the GPU from the start (already attached it to the MOBO and realized it's impossible to remove them without taking everything apart, was too lazy for that)

Associate
Wow. In situ it looks so sleek and sexy. I Love how it's dark and clean and respectable when idling or working, but then when the action is on and you're gaming it kicks into that bad ass red build, that's a unique touch. I had no idea that sort of thing could be done, inspiring.

And your cable management looks immaculate to my amateur eye. Finally reading your log was very reassuring to a beginner, that mistakes, changes, and some slightly inadequate planning are not in-surmountable and at the end one can end up with a truly fantastic looking installation (it's no longer just a PC).

Associate
OP
Like your setup, are you a bit of a neat freak? It all looks very tidy around your PC
If you check my old PC's picture, you would find the answer. This time I really tried to clean and tidy things up. New PC and all :)

Sexy new build mate, very nice!!! Only one thing I would do is remove that silver sticker on the top left of the glass.
Thanks! Sticker has long been removed ;)

Really enjoyed your log. Great piece of work.
Thanks a lot! The log could have been more thorough, but some difficulties along the way, and frustration kept me from taking pics and writing :p

Wow. In situ it looks so sleek and sexy. I Love how it's dark and clean and respectable when idling or working, but then when the action is on and you're gaming it kicks into that bad ass red build, that's a unique touch. I had no idea that sort of thing could be done, inspiring.

And your cable management looks immaculate to my amateur eye. Finally reading your log was very reassuring to a beginner, that mistakes, changes, and some slightly inadequate planning are not in-surmountable and at the end one can end up with a truly fantastic looking installation (it's no longer just a PC).
Thanks for the kind words. The lighting thing was improvised after the LEDs strip didn't work with my fan controller :) The solution of auto control it by CPU temperature was much better (though a bit of work around)

And to be honest, I overestimated myself being able to do hard tube, the needed precision and experience combining with such a difficult case for water cooling shattered my hard tube dream :( Though I have plan to revisit it after 6-12 months (loop maintenance). This time with more exp and a ruler :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom