ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP AiLifestyle any good?

Soldato
I love my board, dont have any issues with it except it doesnt seem to like OCZ XTC 2 Platinum RAM (Well mine doesnt anyway). Otherwise its a clocking dream :)

Soldato
Was toying with the idea of getting one with 4Gb G.Skill PC8000 CL5 and a E2160, just to tide me over till Penryn.

Im running the same ram with an E6400 @ 3.5ghz (500x7) and this board almost took the fun out of overclocking. Most options are set to auto and it just works. No mess, no fuss :D

Associate
I have this board and I think its excellent, up until I got this board I thought that the AA8XE (Old 925X Chipset) was the best board I ever had but now the P5K-E / Wifi-AP is definitely my favourite.

Its so easy to overclock and its so forgiving when you get too adventurous. Other boards require bios clearing via the cmos jumper if overclocking fails where as this one simply shuts down, does a quick power on then power off and then boots at default settings.

There were a few dodgy bioses between bios 0602 and 1004 for the board where they introduced huge vdrop/vdroop and would not allow disabling of speedstep but all that is fixed now, I am currently using bios 1004 and its pretty much a perfect bios.

Associate
I really confuse about the WIFI-AP part of this mobo--which is described by saler--Network adapter - Marvell Yukon 88E8056 / Realtek 8110SC - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft)---the last word--draft----------does it include this part when buyer want to use it function--I mean 802.11n--really fast as I known?? Any ideas, guys? Cheers!

Soldato
Any do's and don't, hints and tips?
Yup, read the manual and make sure you connect any boot devices to the red SATA ports. It's also ok to connect non-boot devices to the Red ports but not the other way around (i.e don't connect your boot drive to the black ports!).

Apart from that enjoy, its a top board! :)

Last edited:
Associate
There were a few dodgy bioses between bios 0602 and 1004 for the board where they introduced huge vdrop/vdroop and would not allow disabling of speedstep but all that is fixed now, I am currently using bios 1004 and its pretty much a perfect bios.

Really? Cool, I might look at updating the Bios then, have held off going above 0602 in fear of loosing my 3.5Ghz Q6600.

In answer to the OP, yes its an excellent board, I'm really pleased with mine.

Associate
0503 and 0602 gave good vdroop protection, anything above that went a bit pair shaped from what I understand which is why I'm still on 0602. I might try the new bios just to see if I can push my OC any further tbh, if I loose any speed I'l just drop back to 0602.

Associate
A word of warning when updating bios...0602,0603 + 0703 booted ok with Elixir + Geil...BUT when i went to bios 1004 + 1006 then problems came as in not booting....it seems seems where they added mem support to later bios they have fudged up allready working mem as i was lucky to have 2 different sets of memory as tried seperate resulted in no boot...only booted when i mixed the ram:eek:...then flashed back and alls now ok.

Back
Top Bottom