Exclusive! - Porsche 911 Wheel Turbo Wheel - Test Review!

Associate
I would not buy another fanatec product again after the experiance i had with there support department.
I bought one of there Fanatec Speedster 3 Force Shock wheels for an xbox1 at a cost of £100.
A few weeks ago i emailed them for a small part ie a connector that plugs into the xbox controller port.
The answer i got a few days later was we do not supply or sell spare parts even a wiring connector.
So i will stick with a logitech g25.

Permabanned
OP
sorry guys,
I really havnt had time to play with it much yet.

went out sunday, today was in a interview,
and tomorrow off to hopsital for checkup.

I get a chance tomorrow afternoon, I try and sort out some more pics.

I still prefer my G25 though, the pedals look, and feel nicer, thats one of the biggest things with racing games, you need to feel the pedals!

Soldato
I was wondering who actually signed up on http://www.fanatec.com/
awhile back to sign up for a exlusive hands on test to help and review there Porsche 911 Wheel Turbo Wheel before its released?

anyone else get there's???

I have! \o/

But I'm on holiday atm :( :D :p, it's waiting for me back home , they're allowing me to have extra time to test it. :cool:

Permabanned
OP
I have! \o/

But I'm on holiday atm :( :D :p, it's waiting for me back home , they're allowing me to have extra time to test it. :cool:

how did you contact them?
I broke my ends of the metal bars where the gear stick goes, my ends are inside my wheel... really stupidly made that bit.
they just falled off.

not touched it that much now, love my G25 too much.

Soldato
Thread revival!

I got back from my holiday today; and decided to give this baby a whirl.

unpacking process.
DSCF3884.jpg

The main box

DSCF3885.jpg

opening it up

DSCF3886.jpg

the main inner box

DSCF3887.jpg

The quick manual, bars for the shifter and template.

DSCF3888.jpg

seeing the pedals inside

DSCF3889.jpg

the wheel in its bag

DSCF3890.jpg

all of the accessories included, note the two keys, one of which has manuals and drivers on, the other is for the wireless connection, you can differentiate between them by looking at it from the key chain side, as the utilities one has a sticker on saying '1GB DATA'

Installation process.
Because I have Vista the drivers weren't on the memory stick. I went to www.fanatec.com and downloaded the latest version available.
One problem I encountered is that you can only get to the options screens (shown below) by going to control panel > Game Controllers > Porsche Wheel Properties. Which gets a little bit tedious when you want to play around with the options.
Here are some pics of the options screens

Upon initial powering up, I was impressed by the lights on the wheel. (pic) The bottom 4 way joypad controls (pic) the options on the LED and options can be changed in real-time, which is nice.

I tested it on GTR2, and as I don't have a desk, the lap mounting option is a necessity, and it's another great idea that Fanatec has decided to include this in the box as well, as apposed to buying it separately *cough cough Driving Force Pro*, but this leads to another slight problem, it's not really that comfortable to use, and you need to apply some force onto the wheel in order to use it correctly, some padding on the underside of the lap mounts could solve this, or making it smooth, as apposed to the ridges. (pic)
There are lots of little nice touches, wireless, LED screen, grippy underside to pedals (pic) gear shifter implementation, and the template (should you need to make a mounting section)

I will be working on this, updating it and adding thoughts, feel free to ask any questions.

Update 1 :I used it to play RBR (Richard Burns Rally) and the pedals kept slipping away on the floor, I have a fairly deep carpet, but the wheel did work very well in RBR. On the forums the Fanatec people are current discussing/testing a weightier version, which should solve this.
I will be working on this, updating it and adding thoughts, feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited:
Soldato
Visual and material comparison/review with Logitech Driving Force Pro.

DSCF3903.jpg

DSCF3901.jpg

It is actually leather on the wheel. As you can see it is a fair bit bigger than the DFP wheel. Without power you can turn the wheel all the way through 900 degrees, whilst the DFP locks at 180 degrees.

DSCF3905-1.jpg

The pedals are indeed made of metal, the black parts on them are plastic. The accelerator has less resistance than the DFP and equal travel , the DFP has more travel and resistance on the brake, and this is being discussed on the forums, as some people would like more travel on it. A nice touch is the easy remove for the batteries, a white pull cord, which will pop them out.

DSCF3906-1.jpg

The underside of the pedals, is where, currently my main beef with the 911 wheel is, on my carpet it is just too slippy, but as said above, this is being remedied by a weightier pedal set. The DFP wins hands down underneath, as it just doesn't move. The carpet spikes give this one a definite win.

In terms of looks and materials the porsche would do it for me, but is let down by some flaws, which should be resolved, but the wirelessness, adjustable and changeable shifter, good materials and clutch can be it's saving graces.

Last edited:
Soldato
well, I managed to get the thing opened :D

Here it is, the pedals, in all their glory.

DSCF3917.jpg

Note that they all have different mechanisms for working, from left to right, they are accelerator, brake and clutch. A popular mod has been to cut the foam you see in the bottom middle of the picture to increase the brake travel distance.

The wheel itself, I can't open, they use (I believe) hexagonal screw heads, of which I don't have a screwdriver for, unfortunately.

Mot hugely exciting, but interesting, none-the-less. :p

Permabanned
OP
thanks mate :)

least you had the time to compare pics and wheels.

Mine has actually sat back in its box since I played with it.
didnt get on with it, doesnt feel right. (maybe need more time to play with it)

but we got till the 22nd of march now to test. so thats good.

I still love my G25 :p

Soldato
No worries, I don't have a G25, but this does the job very well, and the top bods are listening to what people do and don't like about it, so that shows a good sign of faith, instead of just chucking it out with no regard.

there are various discussions on mods over at www.911wheel.com, also if you want to change stuff.

Thanks to Taurus over here, we are able to show you inside the wheel.

inside_wheel_s.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Exclusive! - Porsche 911 Wheel Turbo Wheel - Test Review

To everybody who bought a g25 wheel you made the right choice.
A friend of mine signed up for the test program for the porche wheel.
As i already have a g25 wheel i was able to compare the two wheels by going around to his place at the weekend.
The porche wheel is very smooth when turning but the pedals and gearshift to me were not a good as the g25s.
The g25 pedals have a different feel on each pedal for the throttle,brake and clutch.
The pressure on the porche pedals felt the same on each pedal apart from the throttle which was a bit lighter to press.
I did not like the two bar mounting of the gearchange assembly either it is not solid enough.
My friend is sending it back to fanatec and getting a g25 after comparing them at my place

Back
Top Bottom