The Offical Lian Li PC-A05 Owners Discussion/Modding Thread!

Soldato
Nice work guys.:)

Kevin, I like the idea of an intake for the PSU. After my VF900, the fan in my HX520 is the next loudest thing, so perhaps adding a cool-air intake for the PSU will allow its fan to spin slower. I might give it a go too.

I'm looking forward to seeing the fans in place under the rad grill. I'd say 5V is plenty for the Yates, especially as you both have two of them. Don't be afraid of trying them as intakes rather than exhausts, you might find you get better results that way.

Rich - what size drill bit did you use to drill out the HDD bay rivets? I might get rid of mine next time I open her up, as it's only impeding the airflow. I'm suresome of the early A05s had removeable HDD bays as standard, it's annoying that they removed this feature... Are you going to reinsert the HDD bay at all, or just stick the hard drives in a 5.25" bay instead?

Associate
K3v1n take my advice... sell that 150GB Raptor and buy a 320GB Samsung F1... it's just as fast and the difference in speed/vibrations is simply dramatic, about 5x less. I have just swapped my 150GB Raptor for one and can't believe how quick it is... actually faster in almost all situations, and half the price! No to mention when you add the price of that extorionate HD silencer it just becomes a complete and utter unecessary extravegence! :)

Too late, allready bought them and installed. :p

Associate
Nice work guys.:)

Kevin, I like the idea of an intake for the PSU. After my VF900, the fan in my HX520 is the next loudest thing, so perhaps adding a cool-air intake for the PSU will allow its fan to spin slower. I might give it a go too.

Thanks p4radox, my thinking exactly.

I'm looking forward to seeing the fans in place under the rad grill. I'd say 5V is plenty for the Yates, especially as you both have two of them. Don't be afraid of trying them as intakes rather than exhausts, you might find you get better results that way.

Once I get my mobo and cpu I will test to see if having them as intakes makes a difference in temps.

Rich - what size drill bit did you use to drill out the HDD bay rivets? I might get rid of mine next time I open her up, as it's only impeding the airflow. I'm suresome of the early A05s had removeable HDD bays as standard, it's annoying that they removed this feature... Are you going to reinsert the HDD bay at all, or just stick the hard drives in a 5.25" bay instead?

I used size 3 HSS metal drill bit.

Caporegime
OP

Hmm not sure i'd have them as intakes... would impede the airflow going out of the case. I'm actually thinking of having the rear AND the front fan as intakes and using the top fans only as exhaust... would create a lot of positive airflow and ensure cool air is being drawn in both two sides into the case.

Umm I think it may have been 3mm? Not sure really, just chose one that fitted lol. As for the HD cage it's definately going back in, I just needed it removed to change the front fan and to make any future work easier!

Too late, allready bought them and installed. :p

:(

Soldato
Umm I think it may have been 3mm? Not sure really, just chose one that fitted lol. As for the HD cage it's definately going back in, I just needed it removed to change the front fan and to make any future work easier!

You do realise you don't need to drill out the cage to change the front fan right?:p

Good idea with the airflow, sounds like a decent plan.:)

Caporegime
OP
You do realise you don't need to drill out the cage to change the front fan right?:p

Err at the risk of sounding incredibly stupid... I had a good look and couldn't see any way to remove the fac without removing the HD cage as the gap at the bottom was n't big enough for the fan to slide down? I unscrewed the fan and tried it... didn't budge! Care to enlighten me as to how I could have done it?

Oh well I was going to make the HD cage removable anyway so alls well that ends well. :D:p

Associate
Err at the risk of sounding incredibly stupid... I had a good look and couldn't see any way to remove the fac without removing the HD cage as the gap at the bottom was n't big enough for the fan to slide down? I unscrewed the fan and tried it... didn't budge! Care to enlighten me as to how I could have done it?

you have to remove the psu backplate first then slide down the fan :p

Caporegime
OP
you have to remove the psu backplate first then slide down the fan :p

Ahhhhhhhhh LOL... to be fair though I only had a cursory check to see i it would come off, and then seeing as I was going to make it rmeoveable anyway didn't give it another thought. Shows how practical I am. (not). :D

Associate
Does anyone have this case with the following kit running in it (with stock cooling solution):

x3 HDDs
Q6600
8800GTX

How does the case cope with high-end componentry? I'm torn between the A05 and another case and before I make my decision which way to go I'd like to get an idea of how the A05 performs cooling wise.

Cheers

Caporegime
OP
The 8800GTX fits in it no problem, plenty of pics of them in the case in other threads, check out the one on [H] forum I linked in the OP and do a thread search for "GTX". It also fits large heatsinks like the Tuniq and the Ultra Extreme-120.:)

Associate
I'm actually thinking of having the rear AND the front fan as intakes and using the top fans only as exhaust... would create a lot of positive airflow and ensure cool air is being drawn in both two sides into the case.

This sounds like a great idea Richdog, only thing is, it may pull a little warm air in from the psu's exhaust.

I don't think it would be a problem.

I'm definately going to try this.

SMALL UPDATE.

I modded 2 x Yate Loon D12SL-12's, took off stickers, took off the 4 pin molex pass through, braid and heat shrink and new black connector. :)

Also opened up the corners as Yate's are closed coner fans.

3 to go. :p

These fans are very quiet @ 12v.

11.jpg

More pics soon.

Caporegime
OP
Dude those look sweet... did you buy the braiding from the same place as the alu feet? Those feet are sweet too... definately buying some when they come back in stock :)

I have about 8x of these Loons so will be doing what someone on [H] suggested and modding a pass-through cable for 5v to supply both the top exhaust fans, and i will leave the front and back intakes as 7v. I can't see the PSU heat being a problem as my Corsair HX620 barely puts any out anyhow, and I think the front intake is high enough from the PSU to allow the vast majority of it to dissipate effectively.

Oh yeah another question... where did you get those alan key screws from (is that what they're called)?

Associate
No Richdog, I got the braid and heat shrink from the the second place in the email.

Black Heatshrink (For 3-4mm Braiding)
3mm Black Cable Braid / Sleeving

I got the M5 allen/socket cap bolts off ebay.

Search for M5 x 20 BLACK ANODISED ALUMINIUM ALLEN BOLTS 8 PACK.

Back
Top Bottom