HP LP2475w, IPS 24" Official Thread! (Now Available from OcUK)

Associate
can't fault it. my opinion is possibly rendered useless by the fact that i've never seen anything like it. i did used to use high end 21" CRT monitors (£600 in 2001... mitsubishi something or other) and the picture quality is almost indistinguishable from those and in some ways better. i may only be saying this though because it's been hammered into me that CRTs of that price of that era are better than TFTs. perhaps these days a £450 TFT is actually better than that.

i've gamed on it and i can say for certain that input lag is not an issue for me because i haven't remotely noticed it- and i would consider myself a bit of a 'twitch gamer' in that i like to be able to shoot people in the face with the desert eagle in counterstrike while they are running round a corner. :D
colours in games are utterly amazing.

i am lost for words and frame of reference- never seen a monitor remotely as good as this, but i will be honest and say that's because i don't know anyone who spends this amount on a monitor and nowhere i've worked has had anything like this.

no faults and no dead pixels, ultra easy to assemble and connect up- took me under 2 minutes.

i do not regret this purchase one bit- so far.

sorry i can't take any more pics, i can't find my tripod for my camera cos i've just moved house. :(

i suppose my feedback has been a load of useless nonsense seeing as i have virtually no experience of using TFTs but what i can say is, the review at tftcentral.co.uk describes it perfectly and the monitor has arrived in one piece and works fine.

one thing i will note- there is a manufacturing/ assembly error in one of the control buttons. the "scan" button is slightly wonky. not good enough but at the same time i can't be bothered to send it back for that, because it's my only monitor and i'd have to do without. if i had another monitor or i was a business user i'd have sent it back straight away.

Thanks for your post C0mdot, you're swaying me back :)

I currently own a Samsung226BW(S)...I consider it a good monitor (it got great reviews in some quarters) and never once regretted the purchase BUT before this I had a top of the range 19" Sony CRT which I hung on to for years after all my m8s had gone LCD...why ? simply because the image quality on that was better than all the LCDs I'd seen. Yes it was MASSIVE, 4:3 and weighed the same as a baby elephant but it looked great !

When I got the Samsung I loved the widescreen and the fact that it was flat but I've never thought it looked as good as my old Sony...good enough (especially for the money I paid) but not as good...

The fact that you seem to appreciate a good CRT and that you play fast action fps games makes your opinion all the more relevant to me and that review on tftcentral looked very impressive too...I may take the plunge afterall :)

Associate
decision time

I'm trying to make a decision as to my new monitor in the next 36 hours. Current favourites are this hp or the NEC wgx3. Although I've been following various threads on here for a while, I'm still not sure whether the HP has any widely prevalent problems. Is the text issue isolated to specific cases or a common problem?

I'll be doing be bit of everything on it, including gaming and some family photo work, a fair bit of coding and web research.

edit... currently use viewsonic vp930 and dell 2407 not wide gamut.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm trying to make a decision as to my new monitor in the next 36 hours. Current favourites are this hp or the NEC wgx3. Although I've been following various threads on here for a while, I'm still not sure whether the HP has any widely prevalent problems. Is the text issue isolated to specific cases or a common problem?

I'll be doing be bit of everything on it, including gaming and some family photo work, a fair bit of coding and web research.

edit... currently use viewsonic vp930 and dell 2407 not wide gamut.

no text issue on mine. what is the text issue, supposedly?

do check out the tftcentral.co.uk review of the HP, it is a good review and i can vouch for it having now used the monitor for over a week. i think they compare it to various monitors, maybe even the NEC one.

Associate
no text issue on mine. what is the text issue, supposedly?
The text issue is a colour fringing when using cleartype. Do a search for 'text' in this thread and there are several posts about it. It's the reason why nightrhyme returned his I think.

As for the NEC, there is only one known one in the wild at the moment ;) so it's a choice between known potential problems that have been serious enough to cause people to return the monitor or a leap into the unknown.

Associate
OP
The text:
As I wrote earlier I don't believe my HP speciement was in any way faulty.
When I returned it I actually asked the retail store to test the monitor for this text issue I experienced. They later replyed that they had tested my monitor against a demo HP 2475 and found no text problem on either.
So I still think that it's is just a question of how suseptable one is to the way text is represented on the HP.
If it has any bearing my gfx is a ATI HD4870

Soldato
The text:
As I wrote earlier I don't believe my HP speciement was in any way faulty.
When I returned it I actually asked the retail store to test the monitor for this text issue I experienced. They later replyed that they had tested my monitor against a demo HP 2475 and found no text problem on either.
So I still think that it's is just a question of how suseptable one is to the way text is represented on the HP.
If it has any bearing my gfx is a ATI HD4870

I highly doubt they actually plugged it in and tested it, they probably just fobbed you off saying they did. I know I'm susceptible to fringing on text as this was one of the problems on the Dell 2408, I also know that my HP doesn't do it, and I'll post the pic again just in case people are worried:

text.png

I must add, this is after running the cleartype tuner app and selecting one of the settings, plus having the OSD set to tone down the reds considerably (using the calibrated profile posted pages and pages back).

Associate
I am about to move from my trusty Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454, for a nice 24" LCD. I am interested in the HP LP2475, after the countless problem with the Dell 2408.

What I'm not sure of is the 6ms (G2G) and 12ms on/off response time. Are these values considered high? I'm hoping to use it with my XBox 360 (over HDMI) and don't want any ghosting, but at the same time I don't want a TN due to the lack of good colour reproduction.

My main usage of it will be for Blu-Ray movies in 1080p, has anyone tried it over the HDMI port?

Do the 2 DVI-I ports both have HDCP support?

Any further advice you may have would be most appreciated :)

Last edited:
Associate
Full set of colour aware software

Hi All

I've been watching this thread for a while (as a new LP2475w owner) and I created an account here mainly to thank all of you for all your advices :) and to give you in exchange a bunch of my observation and solutions I managed to find on the Internet.

1. Overall summary: If I knew what 'Wide Gamut' & 'adobe RGB' means in advance I would not buy this LCD. But there are only 2 disadvantages of this monitor:
a) unrealistic colours. Don't believe anyone saying that it can be compensated by adjusting contrast or 4th red slide control in HP display assistant. Also hardware colour calibration won't solve anything without proper software supporting colour management. You may be less sensitive to wrong colour which doesn't mean they are correct.
b) White glow. I'm not sure if I use the right terminology. What I can see is that black is never black when I watch dark scenes in moves. Maybe my settings are not proper, maybe I'm just used to CRT monitors? (I used calibration ICC profile + OSD settings posted here: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=12526623&postcount=302). Anyway, glow is not very disturbing)
All the rest I absolutely admire. It is really good monitor.

2. Text Issue: I have no text issue in FireFox, Windows, Office etc. I do have text issue only in Internet Explorer (disturbing) and Adobe Reader (not very disturbing). Maybe something to play with clear type in IE? Don't know, I don't use IE so not a problem for me.

3. Colour Aware software:
a) FireFox3. 'About:config' solution didn't work, but Colour Management add-on works perfect (with ICC loaded). I've seen many opinions that colour management in FF doesn't work for thumbnails, icons, text and so on. It works for everything and I see clear difference between FF and IE.
b) Photo Shop 2: I had to play with settings such as Color Settings and Convert to Profile (under 'Edit' in main menu) but now it is perfect (I see proper colors and other people using sRGB monitors can see the same colors watching my pictures on the internet)
c) Fast Picture Viewer: free image viewer with full color management. Convert sRGB to aRGB without any difficulties (and this is actually very nice , fast tool). All you need to do is to load your ICC to it (Menu -> Display... -> Enable Color Management... -> Override target profile).
d) The last is the best: Move Player (DVD/Divx) with full conversion from any gamut to any other gamut!!!. This is Media Player Classic (Home Cinema edition) + DirectX 9. This is the most difficult part but it is nicely explained here:
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=723315
This trick was invented here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=912720&page
(the later in the thread the more scientific it becomes. To hard for me. :)
The clue of this trick is color matrix. In both above links there in another link to excel tool which can recalculate color coordinates of your monitor to matrix which should be pasted to code in a player (I took these coordinates from this link: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=12526623&postcount=302 , there is a link to .rar with ICC and word document, on second page there is a picture and color coordinates are named there as 'phosphores (CIExy)'). Sounds complicated but it is not that bad.

It took me 1 week to find these all but now I finally satisfied wide gamut LCD owner. :cool:

I hope it helps!
Bye

Associate
Just discovered FF colour management myself (calibrated with eye-one). Very interesting. Test - load FF, IE and your windows photo viewer with the same image. Result - FF and photo viewer image look identical to me. IE image is radically different.

Soldato
Just discovered FF colour management myself (calibrated with eye-one). Very interesting. Test - load FF, IE and your windows photo viewer with the same image. Result - FF and photo viewer image look identical to me. IE image is radically different.

Yup, hopefully Microsoft has started getting more of the core OS colour managed for windows 7.

If using Aero (and hence compositing everything via the graphics card) surely it wouldn't be impossible for them to bung on a colour management shader for programs that don't colour manage natively?

Associate
Regarding my questions above. I found that the US version of the HP site mentions HDCP for the HDMI port for the L2475w, but still nothing on the DVI-D ports.

Being a new comer to LCD displays (overwhelmed by all the different panel types frankly), I'm utterly confused as to what to believe.

Anyone who has one, can they confirm it has HDCP on all the digital ports? If so I'll be putting in an order :)

The main reason I want to know is that I plan on upgrading my PC with a blu-ray player, and want to make sure i get the full 1080p experience

Associate
Regarding my questions above. I found that the US version of the HP site mentions HDCP for the HDMI port for the L2475w, but still nothing on the DVI-D ports.

Being a new comer to LCD displays (overwhelmed by all the different panel types frankly), I'm utterly confused as to what to believe.

Anyone who has one, can they confirm it has HDCP on all the digital ports? If so I'll be putting in an order :)

The main reason I want to know is that I plan on upgrading my PC with a blu-ray player, and want to make sure i get the full 1080p experience

Both DVI Ports support HDCP. Not tested HDMI.

Associate
Both DVI Ports support HDCP. Not tested HDMI.

Many thanks for answering my question cman, much appreciated. If the HDMI is the same I will be extremely pleased and get my order in sharpish :)

The most annoying thing is that HP should have this extremely important information on the product details to remove the uncertainty

~Hawk

Associate
Thanks qbson !!!

That URL you posted "http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=723315" explains the wide gamut problems nicely, now I finally understand.

It's a huge shame that (according to the tftcentral review) that the "sRGB simulation mode" that comes with this monitor doesn't seem to work properly...if it did then we'd have the best of both worlds and I would definitely be purchasing this monitor, alas, until wide gammut is fully supported I don't see how this is a viable purchase for me.

I'm quite stunned that all wide gammut monitors don't come with a decent "sRGB mode" as well...they should be physically more than capable since the colour range is smaller.

*SOB* the hunt for a decent 24" monitor continues then...

Associate
check this
philips 240PW9
http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...U_CONSUMER/LCD-widescreen-monitor+240PW9EB-00
Same Panel as the HP, cheaper (less connections) less trouble!
240PW9EB_00-GAL-global

Thanx for your opinion c0mdot.

I though have to say that the look of the philips attracts me more. Will it be for sale in europe soon? It may also have lower input lag.

I think I will await comments on this one.

http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...U_CONSUMER/LCD-widescreen-monitor+240PW9EB-00

btw I started a topic about this monitor a week ago.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17931969

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom