Samsung NC10

Soldato
Am i right assuming that a defective new product will be swapped out straight away for a new one? they won't try and shaft me by telling me theyre going to repair the nc10.

Soldato
It was running sluggish in most things, upgraded to 2GB, seems ok. I think there is a lot of samsung rubbish running. Tested it against an advent 4211, about the same speed. One thing the advent did have was a spare sodimm slot, and its webcam seemed a lot more responsive and clearer - anyone know any good/better webcam drivers or software?

Do like the multitouch touchpad - works really nice.

Soldato
has anyone else got a 'patchy' screen?
Mine looks like someone has picked it up by the screen and left pressure marks.

Think You will find they are all a bit like that if You have the wrong colour desktop and the brightness down !
It's basically uneven backlighting

Associate
It was running sluggish in most things, upgraded to 2GB, seems ok. I think there is a lot of samsung rubbish running. Tested it against an advent 4211, about the same speed. One thing the advent did have was a spare sodimm slot, and its webcam seemed a lot more responsive and clearer - anyone know any good/better webcam drivers or software?

Do like the multitouch touchpad - works really nice.
I find it really nippy for such a low power cpu.

720p is a solid 24fps, quake 3 is 40-60fps @ 1024x600, amiga emulation (complex at the best of times) is great, trackmania nations is pretty decent on low.

Could be down to Samsung stuff as you mentioned though, I've cleaned up everything bar the power application in the tray and had a good hoover in hklocalmachine/run, just leaving touchpad and hotkeys etc.

I love the thing, it'll be the envy of the pub providing someone doesn't run off with it :D

Associate
Not sure if this has been asked (sorry if so) but would this laptop be suitable for installing Visual Studio, SQL Server (Express) and also running IIS on?
I know XP Home doesn't come as standard with IIS but you can get it on there can't you....I'd like it to do my work on and wondered if this kind of stuff would kill it.

Soldato
I tried iplayer and it ran fine, speakers are very tinny but i expected that...headphones will be needed for film etc.
Heres a picture of the 2 blotches on my screen, they look worse in real life as theres a slight halo above each of them as well. Not massive damage but enough to be annoying in something i just paid £300 for.

samsungnc10.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Jakus: I've been using tft for years, i know what uneven lighting looks like...this is clearly some form of pressure damage.

Just trying to help you here :p , they are not the best LED backlit panels on the market and all the ones I've seen get a bit uneaven when the backlight is turned right down.
Your best bet if they get funny about a replacement is to just return it under the DSR's

Associate
Just trying to help you here :p , they are not the best LED backlit panels on the market and all the ones I've seen get a bit uneaven when the backlight is turned right down.
Your best bet if they get funny about a replacement is to just return it under the DSR's

Sorry for my blondeness... but what is DSR?

Associate
I tried iplayer and it ran fine, speakers are very tinny but i expected that...headphones will be needed for film etc.
Heres a picture of the 2 blotches on my screen, they look worse in real life as theres a slight halo above each of them as well. Not massive damage but enough to be annoying in something i just paid £300 for.

[snip image]
Looks pretty bad to me, mines completely even with the settings set to lowest brightness. A very tiny( and i mean miniscule) amount of bleed at one of the corners when the entire screens filled with a plain black screen saver, but very very minimal bleeding, and better than 95% of tft's i've used

Soldato
Yeah, i expect a slight 'cloudiness' in a tft from the lighting but your eyes are drawn to these 2 splodges...like eyes looking back out at you. I just hope they send the new one out quick and dont mess me around with a please wait 2 weeks while we look into the matter.

Soldato
Looks pretty bad to me, mines completely even with the settings set to lowest brightness. A very tiny( and i mean miniscule) amount of bleed at one of the corners when the entire screens filled with a plain black screen saver, but very very minimal bleeding, and better than 95% of tft's i've used

No , It's not a Bleed issue it's the 100% opposite ! I don't know how many Led's or grouping Zones they use on the panels but It must be pretty hard to get them all producing the same level of luminance at low settings, So what You see is Darker patches on light colour backgrounds

I guess Samsung has a quality issue that's why the panel goes so bright, to cover these problems
If Your happy with Your NC10's don't go looking for these sort of problems..Life's too short Just enjoy your new Toy ;)

Soldato
I thought leds still went around the edge on cheap panels. anyway i dont think its that, theres a halo around each patch...definitely looks like someone at the factory has handled the screen poorly.

Back
Top Bottom