HP LP2475w, IPS 24" Official Thread! (Now Available from OcUK)

Associate
No complaints so far. I have it hooked up next to my 2407WFP so I'm finally back to dual screens, which is great for coding.

What exactly is the pink/green problem? I have to confess I've not read this monster of a thread. My firmware version is GIG 045 if that's of any significance.

It's when there's a subtle but noticable gradient of greenish to redish in the colours of the screen from left to right. It's very noticeable if you have a gray or white background. And I found it even more noticable when tilting the screen vertically. Maybe because I was less used to that :D

Associate
No I can't say I see anything like that. Comparing the two I notice a different overall tone. The LP2475w seems to have a warmer tint to it than the Dell, but that may just be down to differences in the settings. I've done nothing to the HP monitor apart from dropping the brightness a bit.

Associate
Hi everyone,

I thought I might add my two cents, since I've recently had to struggle through most of the problems mentioned here and I also have some info that no-one else has mentioned yet.

My first HP 2475w had one dead pixel, the bezel LED firmware bug (firmware version GIG045) and a malfunctioning USB hub (ejected devices are not recognised when plugged back in immediately after ejection). My reseller referred me to HP Business Support (although I am a private consumer) and I received a replacement monitor, without having to return the defective one, one day after making the call. Excellent service HP. I was told that the replacement would be a used monitor and that I could test it and choose whether I would like to swop or keep my first one.

This second HP 2475w had one dead pixel, the firmware bug and the malfunctioning USB hub. In the fact dead pixel position was so close to the one on my first monitor, that for a minute I didn't know which one was which anymore. So no luck there. I phoned again and again received a replacement monitor, although I already had two in my possession. Good service once again.

This third HP 2475w was loaded with firmware version GIG068. This version fixes the bezel LED problem and also the malfunctioning USB hub. I also have the feeling that input auto-detection is faster than before. It also has no dead pixels and I cannot detect any green-to-red tint. For the moment, I seem to have struck it lucky and I am happy once again about this purchase. I would highly recommend insisting on receiving this firmware version or later, where at all possible. I have searched for a firmware updater and for this file online, but it does not appear to be publically available.

The overall process for me was a frustrating and unnecessary one and took all the fun out of upgrading to something better. I must admit that I am now satisfied though and that the HP service was uncomplicated, fast and all shipping was at their cost. I will write an update if the monitor should happen to decline after a few hundred backlit hours.

P.S. This is also posted at http://www.trustedreviews.com/displays/review/2009/03/27/HP-LP2475w---24in-H-IPS-Display/comments which has additional valuable information about this topic.

Associate
So I did some input lag testing of my new head unit, following the instructions on this page
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/response_time.php

Shutter speed was 1/320

The strange thing is it seemed like there is no input lag at all on this monitor, according to the pictures I took.

It's hard to tell what's on the CRT since it appeared very dark on the photo, but still I think you can make out the digits of the clock :)

Pic 1
Pic 2

This is hardware version GIG111 and Firmware GIG068
Anyone feel like verifying this? Or is there any better way to test input lag, maybe the test itself is flawed, maybe I did it wrong?

The CRT had a refresh rate of 60Hz.

Associate
After a few months' wait I've decided to pitch for the LP2475w again. I hear the green-to-pink tinting has been resolved, which formed the basis of my original complaint for this model (I've been through two, previously). I've been wanting a dual monitor setup for a while now, and this seems like a good way to compliment my Benq FP241w.

More news to follow. Hopefully it'll be third time lucky.

Associate
First one I got was a January 2009 Edition ... it had the tinting problem. Returned it.

The one I am using now is from October, it also has the problem but I just stopped caring since the IQ is great regardless of the problem!

Would be lovely if it was fixed though since it's noticeable in excel :)

Associate
I agree. I've grown to miss certain features of the HP since opting for the BenQ, such as:

-Faster response times and (marginally) superior input lag.
-Quck, versatile and efficient OSD controls. The BenQ takes 2 seconds between each input; very frustrating business!
-Great interpolation, leaving few rough edges with lower resolution inputs. I'd often let the LP2475w handle upscaling for 360 games (which are usually native 720p), whereas it's hit and miss for the FP241w.

I think the difference can be summarized like this: the BenQ offers above average performance for the money (and in the context of today's LCD standards), while the more recent HP panel is simply excellent in almost every regard, despite being set back by minor quirks.

If the unit I receive does suffer from the tinting defect(?), at least I'll have the BenQ to fall back on for any white-screen business (ie. web browsing and word docs). It's never really very apparent during games or DVD's.

Last edited:
Associate
It's set to arrive tomorrow. Can't wait.

Also, it has been confirmed that Windows 7 features wide gamut support for all displays, including extended sRGB and 48-bit scRGB. This is great news for people who were starting to tire of applying individual colour profiles to every program in Vista/XP.

Associate
It arrived. This is the third LP2475W I've made an order for, with the last two being returned around October 2008 due to a variety of small quibbles.

Anyway, the result: no dead pixels, but a prevalent green-to-pink shift. I half expected to put up with this, and seeing it here, once again, proves to me that trying for another probably won't yield better results. I'm reminded of how good the colours are on this display, and look forward to Windows 7's support for the wide gamut. Minor uniformity troubles are a minor concession, given its performance in other areas. This time, it's a keeper.

Associate
Anyway, the result: no dead pixels, but a prevalent green-to-pink shift. I half expected to put up with this, and seeing it here, once again, proves to me that trying for another probably won't yield better results. I'm reminded of how good the colours are on this display, and look forward to Windows 7's support for the wide gamut. Minor uniformity troubles are a minor concession, given its performance in other areas. This time, it's a keeper.
I'm still of the opinion that *all* these monitors are affected by the green/pink tint, maybe to a varying degree, and some people are just better able to pick up on it than others... any chance you could report back after you've clocked up a few hundred backlight hours, and let us know if it's improved over time?

AFAIK only philjohn has reported any improvement, and I think most people would rather not wait until beyond the DSRs return period before deciding it wasn't going to go away and they couldn't live with it (no point in an HP warranty exchange if the replacement has the same problem).

Associate
I'm still of the opinion that *all* these monitors are affected by the green/pink tint, maybe to a varying degree, and some people are just better able to pick up on it than others... any chance you could report back after you've clocked up a few hundred backlight hours, and let us know if it's improved over time?

AFAIK only philjohn has reported any improvement, and I think most people would rather not wait until beyond the DSRs return period before deciding it wasn't going to go away and they couldn't live with it (no point in an HP warranty exchange if the replacement has the same problem).

My first LP2475W had the green/pink tint, and it was VERY obvious. Didn't need macro photos of the LCD matrix, or color temperature measure to spot the difference. However, I got it replaced with a new head unit. It is at about 170 bg hours atm and I can honestly say it has NO green/pink tint at all! I haven't had the chance to check the actual color temperature but I can't spot any difference with the naked eye, and I sat a good long while checking it. I also took a few close up macro photos to see in a photo editor if there was any difference. Now obviously this is not the most accurate method since ambient light, or how the light fractures differently through the camera lens from not having the same exact angle, will affect the tint of the photo taken with this rather inexpensive digital camera. I think though that it is accurate enough to confirm what my naked eye is seeing as no color difference from left to right!

This might be a refurbished head unit I got as a replacement, with a different (but same model) panel, or different power converters for the back light (read somewhere that DC offset from these might be causing this tint, no source though sorry) but the sticker says GIG 111 and the menu says firmware GIG 068. Old one had same HW version but FW GIG045. Both assembled in Czech.

Anyway... no tint. Not even the slightest.. it has abit worse black lvl though than my previous one; it "shines" a bit more in the dark, but just a tiny bit.

EDIT: might add that my previous head unit got returned at over 200h bg usage, and no improvement at all on the red/green tint issue.

Associate
No problem; I'll report back once I've clocked a triple figure number. It's not going back at any point, so I can keep an eye on it indefinitely. It's also working in tandem with a fairly uniform BenQ FP241W (S-PVA), which makes comparison that much easier.

Currently, however, I can say with conviction that the tinting effect remains, although in this instance you'd need to look hard for it (and on very particular tones of whites and greys too). I'm certain people without prior knowledge of this so-called" feature" would be entirely ignorant to it.

Based on anecdotal evidence, I'll agree that almost every LP2475W is subject to this, but to varying degrees. It'll be interesting to see if it diminishes over time though, and one would have to ask the question: why?

Associate
Ah well. It's not a big enough problem. I have a few questions though...

Do any LP2475w owners here notice the following?

- Much, or any, backlight bleed (in a darkened room on a black background).
-That the screen darkens images by default, and needs a bump up on the Nvidia brightness control to avoid crushing blacks. For example, I couldn't see the number "1" on the image below at first, even at the highest brightness/contrast settings (on the monitor):

Brightness2.jpg

It's perfect now I've made the correction, but the same fix can't be applied to non-PC inputs. This is proving problematic for the PS3 in particular, which offers either a "Full" or "Limited" RGB setting when playing games. The former seems to crush blacks, while the latter noticably saturates the image, making black screens too light. There must be a workaround for this via the monitor settings...

Last edited:
Associate
I can see 1 using firefox with colour management enabled. I can also see 1 opening the picture in windows preview, and opening it using GIMP (setting gimp to use the monitor profile windows loaded)

However, I can only see from 2 using IE or Safari (beta 4) why these two doesn't use my monitor profile is a mystery to me. Makes me think there are more software not using the monitor profile, probably games too. How do I know if DirectX or OpenGL is taking the monitor profile into use?

Associate
IRT Bazza: Sorry, I've rehosted it. It should work now.

If black calibration is normal, the first number should be faintly visible.

Like Bobbo, I could only see 2 onwards without any colour management. No alterations to the monitor itself (that I've found anyway) can allow you to see that number, which is a little confusing. It's nice to know it's not just my unit though!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom