Turn pc into a heater

Associate
Hello, I have an 6 month old i7 920 in a HAF 932 Coolermaster case, how can I make it hotter so it gives out more heat? I ask because I want to heat my room up over the winter. There's 3 auxilliary fans, a cpu fan and a sys fan but I would have to manually unplug them to turn them off; I don't know if it's safe for my computer if there are no fans running.

Currently, as I work on it during the day the average system temp is 38C.

Thanks.

Associate
Hello, I have an 6 month old i7 920 in a HAF 932 Coolermaster case, how can I make it hotter so it gives out more heat? I ask because I want to heat my room up over the winter. There's 3 auxilliary fans, a cpu fan and a sys fan but I would have to manually unplug them to turn them off; I don't know if it's safe for my computer if there are no fans running.

Thanks.

People may laugh but to be honest i'm surprised i made it through this crap summer without dehydrating myself to death caused by the heat my computer gives off. It genuinely does heat the whole room up in the winter, toasty warm gamin' for me this winter.

Again, just be prepared to suffer the summer heat

Install 2 X 4870X2's they will be fine for winter heating. You get another bonus of being able to bake flapjacks inside the casing if you use a small aluminium tray ontop of the cards ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Run a folding at home CPU and GPU client in the background, leave the fans on as they'll get the heat out of the case and into the room.

It's an inefficient way of heating a room though, just get an electric heater from wilkos for about £15.

Soldato

Thanks.

If it's anything like my PC, the room heats up as I get later into the evening. With no heating on, I can reach around 25C in my room. It's not that my PC is overheating. System temps are fine. It just outputs a lot of that heat into my room. I don't think you will really need to make it hotter. Taking fans off the components will only damage them. Just let the warm air come out the case, and it should, in theory heat your room.

Soldato
lol, this is frankly hilarious.

First, don't unplug the fans, your £1000+ system really shouldn't be cooked.

But seriously, to heat the room look for something like this this, much better than using your expensive components to create low grade energy.

However, you could overclock your PC and improve the cooling (better PC cooling means better convection heating in your room). If you haven't tried already, most i7 920s can hit 3.8-4GHz with a good cooler such as this. It will give you a nice performance boost and provide the extra heat you are looking for (just ensure it is your room and not the components that see this extra heat). Ideally, you want that CPU to be running at less than 75 degrees @ 100% load.

Associate
If you use some old laundry dryer ducting you can direct the flow of hot air from your pc to your prefered area. You could selotape the ducting to the top of your monitor facing you. This would heat you, the room, plus you'd have a pretty nifty hairdryer thrown in for free :D

Soldato
However, you could overclock your PC and improve the cooling (better PC cooling means better convection heating in your room).

It will give you a nice performance boost and provide the extra heat you are looking for (just ensure it is your room and not the components that see this extra heat). Ideally, you want that CPU to be running at less than 75 degrees @ 100% load.

Exactly what happens with me ^^ My room is very well insulated, so with the windows closes, it heats up quite nicely =)

Components at nice temps, so is my room =D

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies. ;)

If it's anything like my PC, the room heats up as I get later into the evening. With no heating on, I can reach around 25C in my room. It's not that my PC is overheating. System temps are fine. It just outputs a lot of that heat into my room. I don't think you will really need to make it hotter. Taking fans off the components will only damage them. Just let the warm air come out the case, and it should, in theory heat your room.
The HAF 932 case is renowned for keeping components icy damn cool. If I touch the case after it's been on all day it's cold to touch.

The computer definitely heats the room up currently a little bit but when I hear comments like yours it makes me wish mine was like that!

However, you could overclock your PC and improve the cooling (better PC cooling means better convection heating in your room). If you haven't tried already, most i7 920s can hit 3.8-4GHz with a good cooler such as this. It will give you a nice performance boost and provide the extra heat you are looking for (just ensure it is your room and not the components that see this extra heat). Ideally, you want that CPU to be running at less than 75 degrees @ 100% load.
That's a good idea. There's a special cpu cooler in the system if I ever want to overclock it. Currently my cpu is 30C and it's been on since this morning.

Run a folding at home CPU and GPU client in the background, leave the fans on as they'll get the heat out of the case and into the room.

It's an inefficient way of heating a room though, just get an electric heater from wilkos for about £15.
This is the kinda thing I was looking for, I have googled folding at home now. Hopefully there is a way to set it to use like 50% of the computers resources whilst I use the other 50% for my work.

Soldato
no one going to tell him that turning the fans off isn't going to make his computer throw out more heat?

Fans spinning means less heat in the case at the expense of more heat outside the case. You want this, so don't turn the fans off. All cooling methods ever do is move heat away from the components at some efficiency. Phase will make the processor very cold but it certainly won't make the room it's in colder.

Folding at home is a good suggestion. Especially if you run it on a graphics card, my old 280gtx would quite convincingly heat my room when under load. I had the window open all winter (with the radiator off at least)

Soldato
I managed to heat my room last winter with the PC. My flatmate complains my PC used too much electricity. But instead of using my heater to heat my room, I use the PC. Especially now, as the exhaust fans come out the top of my case ^^

Soldato
If you use some old laundry dryer ducting you can direct the flow of hot air from your pc to your prefered area. You could selotape the ducting to the top of your monitor facing you. This would heat you, the room, plus you'd have a pretty nifty hairdryer thrown in for free :D

I'm liking this idea, very ingenious :D

Soldato

Being a complete baldy, I find it is more effective to fasten tubing to my nipples using safety pins (sellotape fails with the heat) so that I can point said tubing at my beard.
Any food caught in my beard is kept warm for later consumption. And it evapourates spit when I slaver (as I do regularly).

Permabanned
Being a complete baldy, I find it is more effective to fasten tubing to my nipples using safety pins (sellotape fails with the heat) so that I can point said tubing at my beard.
Any food caught in my beard is kept warm for later consumption. And it evapourates spit when I slaver (as I do regularly).

LOLwtf?

Associate

:D Laughed out loud.

Back
Top Bottom