• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5850 Boot Problem

Associate
Mine does this too, I turn on the computer card fan goes fast screen goes on standby, then computer loads normaly but the card works fine didn't think anything of it.

Associate
I've got the Sapphire 5770 which is doing the same (upgraded from BFG 8800GTS).

Motherboard is Asus P5NE-SLI, PSU OCZ 600w Stealth and CPU is Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 3.06ghz.

I also had bizarre problem of BIOS not detecting correct CPU speed until i updated from 1403 to 1404 revision. But this hasn't altered the annoying fait of fans whirring before BIOS will post.

Associate
Im still hoping to find a solution, rather than ask for a refund!

Well I'll share my experience as I've been through "hell" then came out the other end, bear with me:
- asus p5q-deluxe, using an old Nvidia 8800GTS
- PSU SilverstoneTech Olympia 750, 12V 60A on one common rail
- got my ASUS 5850
- now the 8800 has only one 6 pin socket, as we all know the 5850 has 2
- out of my PSU there are 2 x PCI-E power cables each with 2 x 6 pin plugs daisy-chained
- I installed one plug from each power cable to the power sockets of my 5850 (thinking some sort of power redundancy, don't like daisy chain, 2 cables better than one, whatever..)
- power-on PC, fan starts spinning at 100%, image nada
- tried re-seating the card, check everything again and again to no avail

Now the good part:
- gave up and decided to put the 8800GTS back in
- I connected one PCI-E power cable, power-on PC and ... you've guessed no image!
- only then I started to sweat
- tried checking everything a few times, no change
- tried another PCI-E slot, same
- thinking I've ruined my motherboard I went up to the loft and dusted off one old PCI card, now that worked!
- then it hit me, RTFM
- got the PSU brochure and discovered the PCI-E power cables, though labelled the same, on the other side of the label is was a small "A" on one and a "B" on the other; each was meant to power up a different card, if only one cable needed then use cable "A"
- of course my 8800GTS was now fed by cable "B", swapped that for cable "A" and voila - it worked
- finally put my 5850 back, used cable "A" with both plugs and it worked
- added my 8800GTS into the other PCI-E slot on the motherboard fed by cable "B" and that worked too.

At the end I removed the 8800GTS, left the 5850 on cable A - gaming hapilly since :)

I'm not saying this is anyone else's case I thought I'd share what happened to me maybe it helps others.

Associate
Nice, I will dig out my PSU documents tonight.

Although, my 8800GTX which went faulty, was also powered of the 2 PCI-E power connectors.

Associate
Just revisiting this post to see if anyone has found a solution to the boot problems.

I still get the cold boot issue almost EVERY TIME. If I hear the fans at 100% for longer than a few seconds without it slowing down, then I know its not going to boot and I have to power down and start again.

Begining to bug me a bit now.

Associate
Picked up Asus 5770 (egg cooler) got same problem with the cold boot

Spec

Intel Core 2 DUO E6600
Asus P5N-E SLi nForce 650
4gb of Corsair TwinX XMS2
Corsair HX520W

Shame seems to be no solution as of yet :(

Associate
hi,

My XFX 8800 ultra died playing BF BC2 beta (note: theres a thread on game forum listing many killed 88xx GPUs). Got a XFX 5850 XXX from OcUK.

I have the boot problem. Power on - wait 10 seconds - Posts - everything fine.

I have raised a ticket with XFX. They have not heard of this problem!?. Not too bothered will replace rest in a few months.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Abit Infinity FP-IN9 SLI
OCZ 4Gb DDR2 PC2-6400
Seasonic 500w S12-500 SLi Silent PSU

Suprised there is nothing on AMD forums. There is about no boot issue.

Associate
Suprised so few have had this problem.

I changed my bios settings. Only CPU fan speeds and the PC would not boot at all! 5 x Bios Resets later PC came back to life. Removing DVD / HD drives made no difference. Working fine now. Not sure how.

Associate
Mines been working perfect now for a couple of months since flashing my mobo to the latest revision.

I suggest you try the same.

My mobo is a Asus P5n-e-sli deluxe

Associate
The issue is down to using this card with a Nvidia Chipset.

I had and cured the issue when I changed Motherboards, from Abit Infinity FP-IN9 SLI to whats in my sig!

Associate
A friend bought a 5850 and on his Foxcon board it was really flakey and he was getting really bad fps in COD:MW2.

He bought an Asus P5Q pro turbo to find it won't boot, he then tried an old X1800 gfx card and it boots....strange. He then tried the 5850 in another pc and it booted first time, so then i said it could be the psu (Antec 850w quatro) but maybe the gfx card just doesn't like his mobo, or more like 80% of the mobo's out there.

Back
Top Bottom