*** Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor @ £447.99 inc VAT ***

Associate
It is worth pointing out that any major problems will be addressed either with replacements from Dell through their warranty or revisions at a later date. All of the new Dell monitors have had issues which have been solved and this is no different being a recent release.

Actually, because the tint problem affects a significant percentage of U2410's, Dell have issued a statement that this problem is "within spec" and will refuse a panel exchange under your warranty if your screen suffers from the tint issue. Read their statement about it here and prepare to rethink your opinions of Dell..

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19302919.aspx

And btw - I had to ask them to change the wording on their response to more reasonable language (which, to their credit, they did) because they claimed a panel exchange would not solve the issue, which I pointed out was untrue. What they meant to say is a panel exchange cannot be guaranteed to solve the issue. Many U2410 panels don't have these colour gradation issues to any noticeable degree, thus if you exchange your panel and get one of them the problem would be solved.. or at least would be if they'd exchange the panel, which they will not. HP, to their credit, WILL still exchange for this issue..

It also remains open to question how much the Adobe/sRGB dither issue will be solved by any A01 revision, and whether it will introduce new issues. The fact that it's even there in the first place (if it's not related to hardware limitations) suggests poor quality control processes are in place at Dell. There is further evidence of this from the fact that they can release drivers for the U2410 which contain a "corrupt" ICM profile which will cause problems in applications like Photoshop. This means they didn't even bother testing it with applications like Photoshop before releasing it..

Associate
PEOPLE? PLEASE GET THIS THROUGH YOUR HEADS... The reason why these monitors have a tint is not because of a defect it's because the monitor is a wide gamut monitor. Every single wide gamut monitor will do this. The only way to avoid this is proper hardware calibration.

You are correct, but are misunderstanding the "tint issue" being discussed. Wide gamut screens will tend to make images look more red (which will tend to show as pink on lighter shades of grey etc). However, when most people discuss the U2410 "tint issue" they are talking about colour gradation.. which is one side of the screen having a noticeably different colour tint from the other, particularly whilst viewing white or grey backgrounds.

An overall screen tint is easily corrected by calibration. It's for this reason that people are probably better referring to the tint issue as "colour gradation", since people like yourself are getting the wrong idea about what the actual problem is. It's not merely tint, but the fact that one side of the screen has a different coloured tint from the other (Typically a green tint on one side and a pink tint on the other).

What complicates things further is that there are different patterns of tint, and different levels of severity ranging from barely noticeable to very obvious., and Dell banked on the fact that they could buy cheap IPS panels from LG because enough "typical consumers" wouldn't notice the issue.

So there is a real hardware issue, which Dell have acknowledged. Unfortunately Dell are also refusing to fix the problem for those who complain.. This is likely because a sizeable percentage of U2410's are affected (although, as said, many U2410's do not have the issue to any noticeable degree).

Last edited:
Associate
But isn't the problem a variation in tint across the screen which calibration will not fix?
Correct. And, since Dell provide no way of adjusting more than the whole screen there is no way to correct for it fully. They would have to provide a way to adjust more than 1 screen zone. The alternative would be to buy panels from LG with tighter tolerances, which would cost them more money. Since the U2410 can sell for almost half the price in the USA that it does in the UK, they're not about to do that.

As a consumer you're left with a random lottery where some panels are very good and some aren't. And if you lose that lottery all you can do is turn down the colour values, where you see gradation/tint, to attempt to minimize it. If the screen has very slight tint this can work well. However screens with more severe tint never look quite right and don't look as good as those free of the issue.

Associate
I knew I should have bought that NEC which was withdrawn.

My trusty NEC20WGX is just tooooooooooooooooo small.

So all things being equal just how much of a gamble is buying one of these?

I am happy to collect monitors until I get a decent one........................................

Associate
I knew I should have bought that NEC which was withdrawn.

My trusty NEC20WGX is just tooooooooooooooooo small.

So all things being equal just how much of a gamble is buying one of these?

I am happy to collect monitors until I get a decent one........................................

I'll be honest, I can't really fauly mine. Colour was a bit off, calibrated with a Spyder3Express and its now fine.

...however, I am not a monitor expert, so there may be faults / failings that I've not noticed or picked up on.

If you are worried and are in my area you are more than welcome to pop over to see it working.

Associate
Following on from my previous queries about this monitor, maybe I can ask a more general question. I am currently looking to upgrade to the Sapphire 5970 along with three comparable monitors to complete Eyefinity setup.

I have choosen 'up to now' the DELL U2410 firstly because I wanted a IPS panel and secondly because I needed the DisplayPort for Eyefinity.

To complete my setup I am looking at purchasing two additional DELL 'G'2410 which are the same size but TN panels.

I suppose its down to applications, I am mainly high-end gaming 'Eyefinity', desktop apps and some home digital photography.

Given the cost saving my question is this: for my requirements should just go with:

3* DELL 'G'2410 (and use the new Sapphire DisplayPort to Dual DVI Adp)
OR
1*DELL U2410 & 2*DELL G2410

Thanks! :D

Last edited:

Xon

Xon

Associate
Following on from my previous queries about this monitor, maybe I can ask a more general question. I am currently looking to upgrade to the Sapphire 5970 along with three comparable monitors to complete Eyefinity setup.

I have choosen 'up to now' the DELL U2410 firstly because I wanted a IPS panel and secondly because I needed the DisplayPort for Eyefinity.

To complete my setup I am looking at purchasing two additional DELL 'G'2410 which are the same size but TN panels.

I suppose its down to applications, I am mainly high-end gaming 'Eyefinity', desktop apps and some home digital photography.

Given the cost saving my question is this: for my requirements should just go with:

3* DELL 'G'2410 (and use the new Sapphire DisplayPort to Dual DVI Adp)
OR
1*DELL U2410 & 2*DELL G2410

Thanks! :D

That's easy... You can't have a U2410 and a G2410 in eyefinity configuration as you need 3 monitors with the same resolution. The U2410 has a native resolution of 1920x1200 and the G2410 has a native res of 1920x1080.

Associate
That's easy... You can't have a U2410 and a G2410 in eyefinity configuration as you need 3 monitors with the same resolution. The U2410 has a native resolution of 1920x1200 and the G2410 has a native res of 1920x1080.

Hi.

Thanks for replying but I think you might be wrong. I did some googlin and found this post:

This is how Eyefinity works, you get three resolutions a multiple of 800x600, 1280x1024, and maximum resolution. Lets assume you have three panels in a 3x1 setup as follows:

[ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ]

1 - 22" 1680x1050
2 - 24" 1920x1200
3 - 22" 1680x1050

Your three Eyefinity resolutions available to you will be:

2400x600, 3840x1024, 5040x1050

Notice that your maximum Eyefinity resolution is 5040x1050 which is 1680*3 x 1050, so Eyefinity will take the lowest maximum resolution from the group and use that as the limit.

So this suggests that I could use the U2410 and the G2410 together, however, during Eyefinity play it would use the resolution from the G2410 across all monitors as that being lower. Namely 5760X1080.

PS apologies if im wrong on this, Im just trying to get it right before I dust down the wallet :p

Last edited:

Xon

Xon

Associate
Hi.

Thanks for replying but I think you might be wrong. I did some googlin and found this post:

So this suggests that I could use the U2410 and the G2410 together, however, during Eyefinity play it would use the resolution from the G2410 across all monitors as that being lower. Namely 5760X1080.

PS apologies if im wrong on this, Im just trying to get it right before I dust down the wallet :p

Yes, you are right it would go to 5760x1080... but you will either get a stretched image on the bigger screen or if you use 1:1 mapping you will get black borders around the image (kind of an extended bezel).

Associate
Yes, you are right it would go to 5760x1080... but you will either get a stretched image on the bigger screen or if you use 1:1 mapping you will get black borders around the image (kind of an extended bezel).

Hmm. Fair enough. Suppose the question is then, what should I go for, I don’t want a stretched screen/bezel. Im also unsure about 3 G2410's as after looking at some other reviews they are not the best. I cannot afford 3 U2410's. Eew dilemma!

Maybe the U2410 and two Samsung SM2433BW 24" (which are also 1920*1200) only thing is, would this look out of place on the desk (different bezels Dell/SamS)?

Associate
If you want to save hassle and eventually, money, just go and buy an Eizo now tbh.

Eizo is not immune to the color tinting/bias issue either unfortunately. Quite sad really when you consider that the monitor sells for $1800 US.:(

To be assured of a perfect panel with Eizo you need to upgrade to their CG243W which costs in excess of $2800 US.:confused:

Read about one sad German customers trials and tribulations with Eizo on prads forums (you need to translate though unless you speak German :p)

Associate
Got my U2410 delivered on Tuesday and it looks amazing :D. It was a complete impulse buy and then seeing this thread after made me pretty damn worried.

The default settings were a bit bright as has been mentioned in a lot of the reviews, but the colours felt natural and looked good with video / photos. I used the colour profile which came with the disk, using TFTCentrals ICC profile gave it a blue tint which I didn't like. Maybe I'm just lucky but more likely because I don't do photography / colour work I won't have the eye for it, but it looks pretty amazing to me!

Maybe I'll get a Spyder Express just to check it out, but for now I'm really happy with it.

Soldato
How does this save hassle?

Well providing you buy one of the Coloredge range, you know it will have been adjusted for a perfect gamma curve and tested at 25 points over the entire panel for uniformity. And knowing some of the extra expense has gone into sourcing the best panels from LG. Saves a lot of hassle if you're continously buying un-tested Dell lemons. Does cost quite a bit more though.

Soldato
Well (like anyone cares!) I decided to pass on the U2410 for now. I did consider ordering it from a slightly more expensive supplier based local to me so it would be easy to return, but then it struck me as crazy to be spending over £440 on something I was expecting to have to send back.

Now very interested to see what the HP ZR24w is going to be like.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom