The Official Motorola Milestone Thread

Caporegime
OP
I found the 2.1 launcher slowed my phone down substantially.

Goddammmm you are right, I removed the launcher now and it's almost smooth as butter in comparison! Get rid of it guys, quick! :eek:

v0n - I take it you need root to get all those apps you mention running? Not to mention that Locale isn't free either :(

Root for underclocking, yup. Easy to do though, i'll do it this weekend.

ALso forget Locale it's $10 and buggy... go for Timerrific instead which is free and works very well. :)

Caporegime
If you want to add a bit of style to your Droid/Milestone: http://www.grafixpressions.com/android.shtml

droidbatdoor.gif

droidscreenstyles.gif

:D

Associate
im stuck between choosing this or the nexus one....

now carphonewarehouse sell the handset only for £400. HOWEVER i work for them and i get 30% of that.... is it worth me getting this for the price ill get it at over the nexus one?

im looking to OC the cpu to 1ghz anyway... only thing is will i get use to the keyboard? ive never had a qwerty keyboard before.... only on a Blackberry..

Caporegime
OP
im stuck between choosing this or the nexus one....

now carphonewarehouse sell the handset only for £400. HOWEVER i work for them and i get 30% of that.... is it worth me getting this for the price ill get it at over the nexus one?

im looking to OC the cpu to 1ghz anyway... only thing is will i get use to the keyboard? ive never had a qwerty keyboard before.... only on a Blackberry..

If you want to OC then dont get the Milestone, it doesnt support it like the US Droid due to Motorola locking down the bootloader. You can only underclock.

As for the other questions, how the heck are we supposed to know if you're gonig to get used to a keyboard or not? :confused:

Soldato
Nexus One 100% if you want to install custom roms, overclock, etc. Milestone is the only Android phone that's locked down, Motorola took their hand, put it in glue then into sand, made a fist then inserted it up every owners arse.

Associate
If you want to OC then dont get the Milestone, it doesnt support it like the US Droid due to Motorola locking down the bootloader. You can only underclock.

As for the other questions, how the heck are we supposed to know if you're gonig to get used to a keyboard or not? :confused:

w00t you can't overclock a uk milestone?

Soldato
Nexus One 100% if you want to install custom roms, overclock, etc. Milestone is the only Android phone that's locked down, Motorola took their hand, put it in glue then into sand, made a fist then inserted it up every owners arse.

You do realise, it is just a phone, right?

Soldato
No. It's a £400 device that we paid good money for and have every right to complain about when we can't use it the way we want. If your logic of "It's just a..." applied to everything then the world would be a very sorry place. :)

True, and I know I'm in the wrong place to argue that overclocking is a pointless persuit, but IMO, overclocking your phone is a step too far :p

I'm all for the "its my phone so I'll use it how I like" - that's the very argument I use against the iPhone, but in this case it doesnt really bother me - the clock speed has been set for a good reason, if the manufacturer thought they could make it faster with no negative conequenses, then they would have done it in the first place

Soldato
I'm not hugely fussed about overclocking but lack of custom roms is the worst part. I am not skilled enough to make my own but the clever people who do, tend to fix bugs, increase performance and stability over what the manufacturer can do! well certainly a hell of a lot quicker anyway!

It's especially annoying when the US Droid is identical bar the Radio hardware, it gets to be fully unlocked and hence becomes the quickest selling Android phone. It comes out in Europe and it gets crippled. The difference between the two? Droid has Google backing, Milestone doesnt, that says to me, Google want Android to be open and free.

Caporegime
OP
True, and I know I'm in the wrong place to argue that overclocking is a pointless persuit, but IMO, overclocking your phone is a step too far :p

I'm all for the "its my phone so I'll use it how I like" - that's the very argument I use against the iPhone, but in this case it doesnt really bother me - the clock speed has been set for a good reason, if the manufacturer thought they could make it faster with no negative conequenses, then they would have done it in the first place

The Cortex is perfectly stable at 800mhz (many have got it to 1000mhz)... that means Flash willl be much smoother (when it arrives) and it should speed up application responsiveness considerably. That matters to anyone who cares about the performance of their phone, I guess.

As for the "if the manufacturer thought they could make it faster with no negative conequenses, then they would have done it in the first place" comments... I don't know whether to lauch or cry at the naievety of that one. :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom