HP 'new' ZR24w

Associate
So after reading through 10 pages :)

Is this the right monitor to get at the current moment?

Bear in mind I am coming from a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2060u which even though it is a few years old still seems to perform admirably. Only problem is that its a huge old lump and I have the itch and cash to replace it ;)

My main uses for the screen will be web browsing, gaming (fast FPS such as BFBC2) and watching a fair bit of video and a little photo editing (I stress a "little").

I have tried TFT panels before (although not at this price point) and have always been disappointed, will this HP do the job?

Many thanks for any help!

Associate
I just got my ZR24w and I like it .... much better than the Dell 2408WFP which was pants for FPS games.

Loaded up CS: Source and BF:BC2 .... played and owned in both games tonight ... did not find much latency or ghosting at all. Its fine for gaming :)

Associate
Is it that noticeable though?

Did you have to specifically 'look' for it before it became noticeable or could you just naturally tell during fast scenes?

I was rushing a lot in CS: Source which is the best test (qucik reflexes, shooting while moving, etc) and didn't notice any latency ... its all subjective though.

I came from a Samsung 226BW which is one of the fastest TN panels around ... moved to a Dell 2408WFP A00 revision which the input lag was very noticeable .... got it switched for a A01 revision and it was still noticeable .... went back to the 226BW for gaming .... got the ZR24w yesterday and played on it all night with CS: Source, BFBC2 and Supreme Commander 2.

I came out satisfied that if there was any latency it was very small and not noticeable while I shooting stuff up. Initially I did have reservations after I hit the buy button but a night's play has removed my doubts.

Input latency is very subjective ..... some people do notice it (in my case it was unbearable on the 2408WFP regardless of revision) .... some others don't.

Since you're moving from CRT to an LCD monitor, you may notice a little latency ..... but an LCD monitor will always be slower in response time than a CRT.

Last edited:
Associate
The colours/ blacks are the only things slightly worrying me - I probably don't need to tbh.

I know the latency, response time etc are good.

Besides I need to connect something up via s-video/composite which will need one of those XX to VGA boxes.

Soldato
Took the plunge and ordered this.

Should take delivery mid week.

Going from a Iiyama Vision Master Pro 413 to the HP ZR24W will be my first personal LCD screen.

Associate
So after reading through 10 pages :)

Is this the right monitor to get at the current moment?

Bear in mind I am coming from a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2060u which even though it is a few years old still seems to perform admirably. Only problem is that its a huge old lump and I have the itch and cash to replace it ;)

My main uses for the screen will be web browsing, gaming (fast FPS such as BFBC2) and watching a fair bit of video and a little photo editing (I stress a "little").

I have tried TFT panels before (although not at this price point) and have always been disappointed, will this HP do the job?

Many thanks for any help!

Well I took the plunge and unfortunately it didn't work out as I had hoped, it has made me appreciate (aesthetics aside) what a stunning monitor my 8 year old CRT still is.

My main bugbear was the "sheen" on the left hand side which many people have reported but also in addition quite noticable bleed on the right, the "sheen" I could live with but the bleed was visible even in quite bright conditions.

All that being said it still knocked spots off other TN based screens I have tried and I would imagine if you hadn't seen better you would be very happy.

Quite disappointed really :/

Associate
Well I took the plunge and unfortunately it didn't work out as I had hoped, it has made me appreciate (aesthetics aside) what a stunning monitor my 8 year old CRT still is.

My main bugbear was the "sheen" on the left hand side which many people have reported but also in addition quite noticable bleed on the right, the "sheen" I could live with but the bleed was visible even in quite bright conditions.

All that being said it still knocked spots off other TN based screens I have tried and I would imagine if you hadn't seen better you would be very happy.

Quite disappointed really :/

Hi there, afraid it hasen't worked out as you hoped. How have you found input lag?

Going from CRT - LCD years back killed me especially when 10, 16ms (and that's what they admit) screens were common...
but due to desk limitations etc. I was forced with the LCD and with newer ones have gotton somewhat 'used' to it especially without seeing my beloved CRT in years.

Not sure if that helps but are you considering returning it?

Associate
Mercurial, I had to turn the brightness way down which may be causing some of your backlight bleed. The default brightness is way too high and I've actually turned it down to 0.

I'm not sure if you managed to read Badass' guides on tftcentral but he's corrected some black and contrast ratios by playing around with the birghtness & contrast settings.

Give those a go and see how you get on with them :)

Associate
Hi there, afraid it hasen't worked out as you hoped. How have you found input lag?

Going from CRT - LCD years back killed me especially when 10, 16ms (and that's what they admit) screens were common...
but due to desk limitations etc. I was forced with the LCD and with newer ones have gotton somewhat 'used' to it especially without seeing my beloved CRT in years.

Not sure if that helps but are you considering returning it?

I am returning it, it would be different if my existing screen was dying or broken, in that case I would perservere and swop out till I got a decent replacement.

I haven't found input lag to be a problem.

Associate
Mercurial, I had to turn the brightness way down which may be causing some of your backlight bleed. The default brightness is way too high and I've actually turned it down to 0.

I'm not sure if you managed to read Badass' guides on tftcentral but he's corrected some black and contrast ratios by playing around with the birghtness & contrast settings.

Give those a go and see how you get on with them :)

I've tried a few settings from this thread and the one over at Hardocp it hasn't made a huge amount of difference.

Glad its worked out for some though :)

Associate
I have to say, I like this monitor overall. It looks great in everything even though I haven't calibrated it properly yet.

Like myself and one or two others have mentioned though, the one major shortcoming is the insane white sheen or 'glare' on the left lower corner. It only seems to be an issue when you sit less than 2 feet or so from the screen (which I have to at the moment due to my desk/room/wall situation). It is only visible in scenes with a lot of black on the left hand side anyway.

Any other situation it's not an issue, or if you sit a fair distance away from it. However if you play a lot of games, like FPS or space sims then this sheen can be a serious distraction. I might be too anal about this as not many people have mentioned this but it is irritating to say the least.

It's probably not something you would even fix with a replacement either, as it seems to be the nature of the display.

Soldato
Finally hooked up my screen yesterday and right out of the box everything was good.

I ran DPT pixel tester and found no dead/lazy pixels. With the screen background solid black I found no noticeable bleed or tint/sheen.

Last edited:
Associate
Damn, I just received my display. No bad pixels etc. but one serious, serious complaint. :mad:

The display makes noise if brightness is not set to 100%. At around 50% the noise is most powerful, but is clearly audible and disturbing at 0% too. It sounds like transformer noise.

Do you guys have similar problem or is my display defect? :confused:

Associate
The display makes noise if brightness is not set to 100%. At around 50% the noise is most powerful, but is clearly audible and disturbing at 0% too. It sounds like transformer noise.

Do you guys have similar problem or is my display defect? :confused:

Quoting myself. Just found this: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...Id=101&prodSeriesId=4101131&prodTypeId=382087

Oh yeah, it seems this is a "feature" common to some (HP) displays. Having a passively cooled computer and/or sensitive ears is a real pain in the ass sometimes, all the other devices seem to make annoying noise.

Edit: reading a thread from silentpcreview.com it seems that most new TFT displays suffer from the same feature: if brightness is not maxed, a whining/humming sound is heard.

Last edited:
Soldato
Minigun, either you have super sensitive hearing or your screen is noisy/defective but I can't hear a thing from mine and I have the brightness set to 5.

Soldato
A few years ago I bought a Samsung display that did the same thing, it's not just him having bat like hearing ...some lcds do buzz, it's the backlight inverters ...and it's extremely annoying.

Back
Top Bottom