New DGteam Firmware (DG834GT)

Soldato
1014 is fine for me on the DG834GT, dont have any drops, cant see any bugs and my sync speed is the best its every been. Currently syncing at 15600kbps and my download is about 1.5MB/sec

Im not upgrading to the next one however until they fix the bugs especially with peoples routers being bricked.

Soldato
1014 on a Sky DG834GT working without a hitch.

Has anyone sucessfully upgraded a Sky DG834GT to 1018 here?

I wouldnt bother, 1018 has lots of problems, there have been loads of reports of people bricking their routers because of 1018.

My advice (what im doing) is wait for DGTeam to fix the issue, release an updated firmware, leave it a few weeks and look at reports from other users that have installed it to see if there are any major issues (like there is with 1018)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

It's so annoying that I cannot view the DGTeam forum. The registration questions are pathetic.

Tried upgrading a DG834 v4 to 1018 and it wouldn't stop flashing a red power light. I can only assume this is the "bricking" people refer to, but I was able to restore to the official Netgear firmware with no problems so..

Not sure what to do. I'm still in the window to send it back under the distance selling regulations.. is it really worth the hassle of waiting for the DGTeam to release an update?

Soldato
It's so annoying that I cannot view the DGTeam forum. The registration questions are pathetic.

Tried upgrading a DG834 v4 to 1018 and it wouldn't stop flashing a red power light. I can only assume this is the "bricking" people refer to, but I was able to restore to the official Netgear firmware with no problems so..

Not sure what to do. I'm still in the window to send it back under the distance selling regulations.. is it really worth the hassle of waiting for the DGTeam to release an update?
Why not use one of the `working` firmwares?
Only the last 2 revisions seem to be `broken`:)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Care to host or link to a location where I can download a stable firmware?

Preferrably not their forums as I don't have access :p

(DG834 v4)

Soldato

Do you want me to try to get you an invite?

Associate
Has anyone sucessfully upgraded a Sky DG834GT to 1018 here?

Yeah, after my problem noted earlier on in the thread I successfully upgraded a stock Sky DG834GT via nftp on a different linux live-distro.

I was curious to try Broadcom's 026 driver. My first impression is that the sync is a little lower (for a given time of day). I'm therefore left to evaluate it's stability on my line; making a comparison with 023o at a given sync rate.

Soldato
Yeah, after my problem noted earlier on in the thread I successfully upgraded a stock Sky DG834GT via nftp on a different linux live-distro.

I was curious to try Broadcom's 026 driver. My first impression is that the sync is a little lower (for a given time of day). I'm therefore left to evaluate it's stability on my line; making a comparison with 023o at a given sync rate.
Do you think you could write an idiots guide on how you achieved this?
I am a complete noob at linux and would like to give unbricking my GT one last go(have failed so far)

Associate

When you load the registration page, check the two questions first. If you can't answer them, either from memory or using a quick Google search, then refresh the page to be presented with a different set.

Or, here are some examples:

The unix recovery utility's name: NFTP
DGND3300's Mb ram: 64
The firmware name: DGTeam
Do netgear routers have fan: No
Is DGND3500 gigalan: Yes (I'm assuming no trick questions; model is actually DGN3500).
What colour is DGN2000: Black
Is boxdotnet a dgteam mirror: No
Is megaupload a dgteam mirror: Yes
Is DG834GV5 broadcom chipset: No
Does DGND3300 cost moreorless than 200 dollars: Less
The charlotte nba team: Bobcats
Router's OS type: BusyBox
The morgan actor: Freeman
Tom and: Jerry
Is DG834GV2 ar7 chipset: Yes
Is DGND3500 wifi dual band: No (even though the 'DGND' would suggest it is; see above re: DGND3500 gigalan).
Is DGN2000 usb ready: No
Back to the: Future
The back to the future emmet: Brown
The flavia former top 10 tennis player: Pennetta
What colour is DG834GT: White
Wimbledon the Championships starts in which month: June
The roger of tennis: Federer
The router's brand name: Netgear
What dgteam is: Firmware
The italian's big brother winner: Mauro (or Mauro Marin)
Stan and: Oliver
Ana's surename: Ivanovic
The 1976's men single roland garros winner: Adriano Panatta
What a golden retriever is: Dog

That should help :D

Last edited:
Associate
What the most reliable firmware at the moment for DG834GT, sound like the 1018, works for a few people, but has been bricking loads.

Any suggestions on which previous release to use?

Associate
ANDARIAL said:
Do you think you could write an idiots guide on how you achieved this?
I am a complete noob at linux and would like to give unbricking my GT one last go(have failed so far)
As requested, here is the step-by-step process.

Files required
  • BackTrack Linux Version 4 ISO (bt4-final.iso, 1570 MB). Download here or via torrent.
  • HP Windows Format Utility for USB Drive Key or DiskOnKey (SP27608.exe, 1.97 MB). Download here.
  • UNetbootin Version 442 (unetbootin-windows-442.exe, 4.31 MB). Download via here.
  • nftp Emergency Reflash Tool (nftp.tar.bz2, 6 KB). Download via here using your preferred mirror.
  • DGTeam DG834GT Firmware Version 1018 (DG834GT_V1.03.22_DGTeam_1018.zip, 43.0 MB). Download via here using your preferred mirror.
Procedure
  • Browse through the modem/router config screens and note down any important settings.
  • Unpack the HP utility and run HPUSBFW.exe to format a 2 GB (or greater) USB key to FAT32. Screenshot.
  • Run UNetbootin and install BackTrack to the USB key. Screenshot.
  • Copy nftp and your chosen firmware image file to the USB key root directory. Screenshot.
  • Power off the modem/router for around 30 seconds and disconnect the ADSL cable.
  • Start the modem/router in 'Test Mode' by powering up with reset button on the rear panel depressed. This is confirmed by alternating green Power and orange Test (tick) lights on the front panel.
  • Reboot PC, enter BIOS setup and mark the USB key as the first boot device. Boot BackTrack Live from the USB key.
  • BackTrack will start in a console screen, presenting a root@bt:~# prompt once complete. If you wish, you can further boot KDE (desktop) via the command 'startx' where you will need to load Konsole to issue commands. Screenshot.
  • In your chosen console screen, issue the following commands (note that you can use the Tab key for directory or filename completion). Screenshot.
    Code:
    cd /media/cdrom
    cp nftp.tar.bz2 DG834GT_V1.03.22_DGTeam_1018_eng_adsldrv026.img ~
    cd ~
    tar xvjf nftp.tar.bz2
    ifconfig eth0 up
    ./nftp -u eth0 DG834GT_V1.03.22_DGTeam_1018_eng_adsldrv026.img
  • Follow the on-screen prompt to begin the flash process. Cross your fingers.
  • Once complete, give the modem/router a few seconds to boot then hold the reset button on the rear panel for up to 10 seconds to perform a factory reset. This is confirmed by the orange Test light being illuminated.
  • Boot Windows, point your browser to the modem/router config screen and set it back up.

Note that I already had BackTrack Linux on the USB key and you may well be successful with a smaller distro. I haven't put any more time into figuring out why it didn't work through Puppy Linux.

Soldato
Thanks so much! This worked perfectly! :D

As requested, here is the step-by-step process.

Files required
  • BackTrack Linux Version 4 ISO (bt4-final.iso, 1570 MB). Download here or via torrent.
  • HP Windows Format Utility for USB Drive Key or DiskOnKey (SP27608.exe, 1.97 MB). Download here.
  • UNetbootin Version 442 (unetbootin-windows-442.exe, 4.31 MB). Download via here.
  • nftp Emergency Reflash Tool (nftp.tar.bz2, 6 KB). Download via here using your preferred mirror.
  • DGTeam DG834GT Firmware Version 1018 (DG834GT_V1.03.22_DGTeam_1018.zip, 43.0 MB). Download via here using your preferred mirror.
Procedure
  • Browse through the modem/router config screens and note down any important settings.
  • Unpack the HP utility and run HPUSBFW.exe to format a 2 GB (or greater) USB key to FAT32. Screenshot.
  • Run UNetbootin and install BackTrack to the USB key. Screenshot.
  • Copy nftp and your chosen firmware image file to the USB key root directory. Screenshot.
  • Power off the modem/router for around 30 seconds and disconnect the ADSL cable.
  • Start the modem/router in 'Test Mode' by powering up with reset button on the rear panel depressed. This is confirmed by alternating green Power and orange Test (tick) lights on the front panel.
  • Reboot PC, enter BIOS setup and mark the USB key as the first boot device. Boot BackTrack Live from the USB key.
  • BackTrack will start in a console screen, presenting a root@bt:~# prompt once complete. If you wish, you can further boot KDE (desktop) via the command 'startx' where you will need to load Konsole to issue commands. Screenshot.
  • In your chosen console screen, issue the following commands (note that you can use the Tab key for directory or filename completion). Screenshot.
    Code:
    cd /media/cdrom
    cp nftp.tar.bz2 DG834GT_V1.03.22_DGTeam_1018_eng_adsldrv026.img ~
    cd ~
    tar xvjf nftp.tar.bz2
    ifconfig eth0 up
    ./nftp -u eth0 DG834GT_V1.03.22_DGTeam_1018_eng_adsldrv026.img
  • Follow the on-screen prompt to begin the flash process. Cross your fingers.
  • Once complete, give the modem/router a few seconds to boot then hold the reset button on the rear panel for up to 10 seconds to perform a factory reset. This is confirmed by the orange Test light being illuminated.
  • Boot Windows, point your browser to the modem/router config screen and set it back up.

Note that I already had BackTrack Linux on the USB key and you may well be successful with a smaller distro. I haven't put any more time into figuring out why it didn't work through Puppy Linux.

Soldato
Cheers mate thank you very much for the guide,I really appreciate it.
Will download the appropriate files listed and give my router one last go this weekend(nice clear instructions :) )

I managed to fix my sky branded dg834gt via linux ubuntu ultimate x86 livecd.
it was badly damaged, when the 026 firmware was flashed i ended up with a brick. flashing via GUI.

under the recovery program it was like you wouldnt show any devices and i couldnt even get the router into firmware idle flash state.

my last resort was trying linux method and it worked perfectly.
if you get a magic header error just continue ;)

Soldato

Glad it's not just me that could not register because of that stupid question issue!

Just tried to upgrade mine and have the same issue :( luckily I have the Thomson BeBox to fall back on.........

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom