• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Official 5830 Thread!

Soldato
OP
I booted up this morning hoping to get started early as I have lots of work to do, was running super slow and eventually crashed with the same Kernel-Power error.

Looked it up on Google and since last time I looked lots of people have posted about the extra ATI sound driver causing the lockups, so I disabled it so now the only sound device that should be working is the on-board. Seemed to boot faster, who knows if it's mended though...

Associate
Not sounding good. I've had no problems with mine once I disabled all the C-State features of the CPU and did away with overclocking the card completely, but I had similar issues with very slow boot, slow down performance and one or two resets as posted earlier in this thread. I seem to be able to overclock the CPU fine now, but I'm getting a new PSU anyway for the future as I'm going to move this no brand 800W to the media PC.

Are these issues still related to your wiring do you think or did you get that sorted?

Perhaps time to reconsider bothering with crossfire. I've actually read some people going from crossfire back to single GPU setups because they just can't stand the micro stutters and driver issues. Probably worth researching.

Soldato
OP
I don't think my issues were ever the cabling, I think it was driver issues all along. I've removed the extenders I sleeved myself now anyway, I just have the ones I bought pre-sleeved in now.

IMGP2330.jpg

Try looking to see what sound drivers you have and disabling the ATI one, no idea if it has worked for me yet but a few people have found it to work.

EDIT: I'm having second thoughts about CF now, I wouldn't be surprised if it all went wrong again. I fancy adding some nVidia card for Physx actually, but no doubt that'll all go wrong aswell. :p I've read a couple of benchmarks of the 5830 in CF, and it seems that they do indeed beat a 5870 hands down, briefly... Lots of lock ups and instabilitys with 10.2. (Maybe 10.5a has solved it though, trying to find out).

Last edited:
Associate
Wow, really neat looking setup. :)

I know this may sound silly, but do you have that massive speaker right next to your PC? Is it magnetically shielded?

I wouldn't like to run a speaker so close to a PC, but it probably isn't doing any harm.

Also, is your RAM running single channel?

And what is that metal box in front of the PSU.? Just being nosey! :D

Soldato
Got one of these last week for £163.99 (the Sapphire one). It's for the family PC, I was gonna get a 5770 but for not much more I went for the 5830.

Drivers wise I'm on whatever the website listed, which was 10.5 (just check it in CCC).

Clocks wise it's on what Auto-Tune recommended, 865MHz (GPU) and 1020MHz (RAM).

Soldato
OP
Wow, really neat looking setup. :)

I know this may sound silly, but do you have that massive speaker right next to your PC? Is it magnetically shielded?

I wouldn't like to run a speaker so close to a PC, but it probably isn't doing any harm.

Also, is your RAM running single channel?

And what is that metal box in front of the PSU.? Just being nosey! :D

Why thankyou, it's getting there!

I do indeed, actually touching the case, and I have no idea, don't know how to check either?

Nah, the slots are paired as A1 A2 B1 B2, one set are black and the other are blue, I have to use B1 and B2 because my CPU cooler hangs over A1. :p

The metal box in front of the PSU is another PSU! But with no innards, I used it to pack all of the cables inside, there are also three fan controllers in there, and the SATA cables run through there aswell which is super because it means that because I reverse mounted the HDDs, you can't see the SATA cables at all apart from when they come out of the top of the cable tidy PSU.

I think it's look really good, but I don't like the big excess space where the second 5830 should be...

Whoever said that cable management was impossible to get looking good on an Antec 300? :p

Associate
Great work! :)

I would be concerned about interference, vibration and the magnetic field emanating from that speaker. It may not be doing your PC much good. Your hard drive either.

Computer speakers are small and magnetically shileded for a reason, but perhaps it's just me being paranoid.

Soldato
OP
I've had a set that weren't shielded before actually, cheap nastys but they made my old CRT go all funny.

These are going soon enough anyway, they're knackered, going to replace them with something nice. :p

Soldato
OP
I got 16.4k on it with 10.5a, briefly....

I've had 2 lockups this morning already. I've uninstalled the ATI driver, ran driversweeper, and now it's running on the generic garbage that comes with Windows 7 (Aero not allowed).

I going to just use it like this for a couple of days, just to see if it is actually my ATI drivers playing up...

Caporegime
try 10.4 catalyst.

i managed to go for about 4-6 hours of COH yesterday with 10.4 - albeit in 720p not 1080p cos of the underscan not locking on in dx10 problem:/

maybe do some stability in prime95 testing on your cpu overclock maybe in this temp its not as stable as you think.

Soldato
OP
My CPU is at stock settings haha, maxes out at about 50C.

I've heard to many bad things about 10.4 on a 5830 already. If I don't have any trouble running on the generic driver then I'll reinstall Windows with 10.2, seeing as that lasted the longest for me without going wrong.

I just hope that solves it, because god knows what I'll do then! I've got loads of work on at the moment aswell and could really do without all this. :/

Caporegime
well 10.4 was stable enough for me to run coh in dx10 ultra like i say, run 3dmark06 whilst prime95 all 4 cores (still scored over 14k!) so id say, listen to my advice based upon yesterdays testing! i at least think it was 10.4 it was the one from the sapphire initial instal CD!

Soldato
OP
Should have been 10.2 then matey, that was the last driver to officially support the 5830!

If you downloaded through the ATI site it directed you to some specific 5830 drivers, 10.3 worked on them for some people, 10.4 was terrible for most and 10.5a is the only one since 10.2 to officially support it, although there's a few sob stories that can be found at the moment.

Putting 10.2 back on now, then I'll just leave it on all day. I'l try benching it later but it's only frozen on me so far when just using windows normally, so might be related to the new idle clocks. Maybe it scales them in a different way or something, either way I'll test that first.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hmmm I'd be tempted to give it a go if it was officially supported. :/

I'm so tempted now to just reinstall Windows, then do an install of 10.2 with the bare essentials installed and have done with it.

EDIT: I reinstalled 10.2 now, but didn't install the drive for sending sound over HDMI, apparantly that's been giving a few people grief with the 5830.

Last edited:
Caporegime
well i sorted my dx10 underscan issue in COH...

i had to create a custom resolution in catalyst control cen. 1920x1076 (60hz) then go into the game config files and add a new res of 1076 with, and then my game go into settings and change to 1920x1076

voila no underscan full screen but mixxing 4x pixels on the vertical resolution, better that though than having to run at 720p on my 1080p screen!

Back
Top Bottom