• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*Official OMG I got my 460 thread*

Associate
Just thought I'd have a play with the card again before I sent it back and was looking for anything else that may be different to the review cards.

And lo and behold, there is.

On the Guru3d review the card shown has a large black heatsink covering the voltage regulators, shown here:

imageview.php

And here in the Techspot review:

o53m2v.jpg

However, the card I received from retail...

2gxl6dv.jpg

No voltage cooling what so ever...

So who knows what else they've changed!

Got my card today and its exactly like yours - crappy black alloy cooler, no heatpipes and no voltage cooling.

I didn't even bother installing it. For that money its going back.

Soldato
Got my card today and its exactly like yours - crappy black alloy cooler, no heatpipes and no voltage cooling.

I didn't even bother installing it. For that money its going back.

The Gigabyte I'm looking at doesn't have vrm coolers, but the heatsink looks a lot better, plus the two fans seem decent.

*EDIT*

Erm. I might be doing Gigabyte a disservice...

GBT460OC1G-07-580x385.jpg

That looks like a heatsink to me!

GBT460OC1G-10-580x385.jpg

What it's covering I'm not sure. Perhaps someone could enlighten me!

Last edited:
Associate
Looks more like a sub £100 card..:eek:

The overall bid quality of the 460 cards looks a bit dodgy, let's hope it's not fail rate central.

I think it's a bit rash to say that, the MSI/Gigabyte/EVGA/reference etc.. cards look great. There are always duff designs in any generation, i got a Gainward 4850 that was absolutely horrible, it had the tackiest shroud you have ever seen, an incredibly loud fan, and the PCI bracket was not installed correctly (and bent lol!). The reference 4850's were actually pretty terrible too.

I got it swapped out for a Powercolor card that had a nice Zalman-type heatsink and that card served me very well and was whisper quiet. You can't generalise an entire line of cards by what one manufacturer does.

Last edited:
Associate
The Gigabyte I'm looking at doesn't have vrm coolers, but the heatsink looks a lot better, plus the two fans seem decent.

Interesting, but I would hazard a guess that the cooler is more efficient and will move more air over the VRM's.

At £189.99 the cooling on the Palit card is pretty awful. Web images on reviews show a different cooler and I can see this basic one having issues further down the line with no room for overclocking.

Soldato
Interesting, but I would hazard a guess that the cooler is more efficient and will move more air over the VRM's.

At £189.99 the cooling on the Palit card is pretty awful. Web images on reviews show a different cooler and I can see this basic one having issues further down the line with no room for overclocking.

I've just done an edit, thoughts?

Soldato
Nvidia finally bring out a decent value card and you guys whine about the red PCB :eek: ;)

Especially funny that the person who complains about the colour doesnt even have a window on his case... I swear some people just look for pointless stuff to whine about :confused:

Associate
Especially funny that the person who complains about the colour doesnt even have a window on his case... I swear some people just look for pointless stuff to whine about :confused:

hehe, you seen it say P180? well yes, no window.. I have been known to be a bit fussy about design, it can add up to the final purchase decision sometimes, but the fact I've ordered it can't mean I'm that bad :p

Soldato
from what i'm reading here, looks like those companys ripped out the heatpipes and vrm sinks and just stuck in a faster and noisier fan for retail? that's really not on imo.

Associate
Also, this is what the fan sounds like:

http://www.3dgameman.com/reviews/1165/palit-gtx-460-sonic-platinum-1gb-gddr5-video-card

Go to 4:55.

Under the normal profile the fan will easily go into the 80% range under heavy load.

Tell me that is 'silent' :rolleyes:

That sounds EXACTLY like my pair of palit 9800GTs with their cruddy fans!
Honestly, EXACTLY. That requires caps. Also, both my 9800gt fans are failing and have been 'clicking' for months when at low speeds :S
Bad sign

I actually did some investigation into the fan company from serial codes on them, the company claims a 1% failure rate (don't have the links etc atm)... well, its been 100% for me :(
I wouldn't be surprised if palit have got stuck in a massive long term supply deal or something

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom