• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*Official OMG I got my 460 thread*

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Damn it, missed the citylink guy on my Inno3d. He must have been like a freaking Ninja :mad:

Gotta wait til tomorrow to find out what cooler it is. Hope they redeliver on Saturdays?

They don't.

Give your local Citylink depot a call he might be able to swing back later today with it for you. :)

In other news:

Hilbert@Guru3d said:
Okay guys I have an update. Just got of the phone with Palit.

It seems the sample we received was an enigneering sample and that the final e-tail samples indeed ships without the VRM heatsink.

Several things are being done now:

* Next week we'll receive the final sample and look into the heat / noise level tests again.
* I was very clear about this request: Palit will make a statement likely early next week on what exactly happened and what went wrong.
* A new BIOS is to be released for the Sonic Platinum editions cards that (hopefully) will help out with heat and noise levels

So they acknowledge that we received an early sample that differs from the final product. Hopefully the new BIOS will help out with the noise levels and as soon as it arrives we'll retest the actual final product on heat and noise levels.

So there you have it, the cards reviewed by the sites claiming the card is silent had the extra VRM cooling, and different fan profiles set in the card bios.

Heads up, Just received this emial from Palit's office after I made a complaint,

Dear customer

Please allow me to expain the situation.

About the samples for review had installed the heat sink:
1. It is no need to add a heat sink for those components (MOSFET for power circuit). We had passed the thermal qualification testing for the specification. The NV reference board does not add it too.
2. About the review samples, we modified the BIOS to lower the fan speed under 2D/light 3D operation to get lower fan noise. For those boards, we add a heat sink for MOSFET just for conservative action before we finish new thermal qualification testing based on the new BIOS setting. (It needs time and enough quantities to finish it.)

As for the loud noise:

1. In order to take more care of the thermal design consideration for the new higher performance GPU (GTX 460). We set a safer (more conservative) “FAN CONTROL SCHEME” for the “super over-clocking” GTX 460 board in the first production shipment.

2. To maintain the high quality and low noise design, we modify the BIOS by changing a new “FAN CONTROL SCHEME” for this “super over-clocking” GTX 460 board. And, it is done now. We had implemented the new BIOS for new production.

3. Please follow below steps to check whether you need BIOS update to solve loud noise issue.

1) Please install bundled tool Vtune.

2) After install please run Vtune as administrator privilege.

3) Check Information item(see below picture), if the "VGA BIOS No" doesn't show as N6727 then you need update the BIOS.

4. Attached please find the BIOS, update tool and instruction.

The Bios file they gave me is here, http://dl.dropbox.com/u/240856/gtx460_SonicPT_bios.rar

Last edited:
Soldato
Blimey!

Look at the overclock on this!

gigabyte4601gb.png

Looks like I'll be nabbing one of these bad boys, shame OCUK don't stock them.

Associate
Blimey!

Look at the overclock on this!

gigabyte4601gb.png

Looks like I'll be nabbing one of these bad boys, shame OCUK don't stock them.

I'm sold!

Hope they are around on OCUK in a few months as I might need to get my hands on about er... 8 of them (not all for myself :D). Of course, I still want to hear how MSI and evga fare.
edit: noise though?

What are the chances of other fermi 104 cards coming out soon? They will probably want to clear the 100 chips first because the 104 cards are cheaper to make and will make the 100s less worth getting. Unless they artificially bump the cost of the new 104 cards and/or make less profit on the price-reduced 100s. It may be that they only make 460gtx boards with the 104?

Last edited:
Don't how you guys with the sonics have such high temps, check the review out below, 55c max load and no VRM sink installed.

zzzfj.jpg

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/palit_gtx460_sonic_platinum/17.htm

Idle 24c?, nah, I'm sorry something is wrong there in their tests, either that or they are running it in a fridge, average room temp is around 20/22c so for that gpu to be running at 24c idle is thermodynamically impossible.

Most sites have rated the temp much higher than that.

Last edited:
Soldato
They don't.

Give your local Citylink depot a call he might be able to swing back later today with it for you. :)
Just tried for ages and no ones picking up

I was planning on going out later but I'll have to see if I can pick it up. The local depot is a far distance from me. Not good :(

So what's the new BIOS like lowrider? any improvement?

It's the same one I already have on my card :(, at least they are on the case though now, I presume they will release a new bios soon with better fan management, I reckon they just raised the fan speed in the first batch to play it safe, it's interesting though that say "The NV reference board does not add it too." in reference to the MOSFET heat-sink, I guess if that's the case it not too much of a concern.

Soldato
Idle 24c?, nah, I'm sorry something is wrong there in their tests, either that or they are running it in a fridge, average room temp is around 20/22c so for that gpu to be running at 24c idle is thermodynamically impossible.

Most sites have rated the temp much higher than that.

My card idles at late 20's/early 30's. At the moment it's at 28.

Yup, looks like it's a newer one. Give it a flash and report back :)

Well that definitely changed the bios fan profile, much more tolerable, it now idles the fan @ 40% in windows (silent), on the old bios it would hover around 50/55%, and just tried out Crysis and the max the fan got to was 62% @ 77c so much better, you could hear it but was much improved, I don't really need afterburner to limit my fan now.

Bear in mind also that my ambient temp is 25c which is fairly high.

I used the bios I got in the email from Palit but I'm guessing it's the same as the Guru3D one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom