Anything better than the Panasonic TX-P42S20B for ~£500? TX-P42G20B would be nice but a tad pricey :

Soldato
So i think it's TV upgrade time. I am currently using a Samsung 40" LE40R87BD 720p LCD TV that i've had for years and as much as we've got on i've decided it's time to sell it and move on and get a blu-ray drive for my PC! I'm a first year uni student so would like to spend as little as possible without sacrificing too much quality so for this reason i would really appreciate any recommendations for anything a bit cheaper (although i know that £540 for the S20B is great!), it doesn't necessarily have to be 42" because i am use to a 40".
Right so my basic needs, as i said earlier pretty much just DVDs and blu-rays (as soon as i got some!), i don't have an arial socket in my room so no TV :( I do a lot of gaming on my pc so might use the TV for a bit of gaming every now and then and i might get a Xbox 360 for it as well. That is all i can think of right now....

Any advice would be appreciated :)
Thanks in advance,
Flare

Last edited:
Caporegime
Re-assure yourself that although pricey, your yourself one of the best sets currently on sale at the moment.

Having said that, do you want to change now ?

There are a whole wave of new sets featuring inbuilt Google TV coming.

Sonys first to the market and they look really exciting

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/12/sonys-internet-tv-powered-by-google-tv-first-hands-on/

If that doesnt interest you, go ahead and knock yourself out with the Panasonic :)

Caporegime
Thing is, panasonic and samsung both have their own "Internet TV" thing (amongst others)

but the introduction of Google TV is going to really drive this forwards. Other manufacturers may follow suiit and just build in google TV, others may develop their own systems further to compete

Either way, we're about to see a whole wave of TV with improved networking / internet features.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the info guys :)
That Sony looks great although my first thought was the price. Also, my TV is constantly connected to my PC so would there be any point in waiting for a TV to come out with Google TV built in? Is there a lot of difference between the two Panasonic models i've mentioned? Bear in mind i wont be using it with, Sky HD, Freeview, etc...

Caporegime
G20 Review

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-txp42g20-txp42g20b-20100308169.htm

S20 Review

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p50s20b-tx-p42s20b-20100511647.htm

both highly recommended.

Key differences:

G20 has better black levels (highest contrast ratios) 4 HDMI vs 3 HDMI, PC input, USB slot (can record TV onto USB stick, plug a keyboard in it, play movies & view photos from USB etc..), and it swivels (S20 is fixed) It also has the VIERA CAST system, which is panasonics own version of the google TV type effort

Can view youtube videos, stream on-line media, stream media from your PC etc..

Well worth the extra £100 i say.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom