Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Nice to hear it's all working jung! Are you using Freenas and three 2TB drives in Raid5?

I've ordered two 2TB drives but wanted to go Raid5 in the future so pretty much same setup. Have you had experience with linux in the past or just read around on it? Would be great if you could post any links that you've followed or a quick run-through of what you've done as it's pretty much what I'm after!

Associate
Nice to hear it's all working jung! Are you using Freenas and three 2TB drives in Raid5?

Aye, but in a vmware environment.

I've ordered two 2TB drives but wanted to go Raid5 in the future so pretty much same setup. Have you had experience with linux in the past or just read around on it? Would be great if you could post any links that you've followed or a quick run-through of what you've done as it's pretty much what I'm after!

FreeNAS really is a piece of ****, boot from the CD, choose to install it onto the 160GB drive and your pretty much good to go straight out of the box. Playing around with the RAID config from within the GUI just takes some time to get your head around if you not done it before but a few hours will give you a working system (initiation and formatting does take some time though!). I've not followed any one particular guide but a mix of many but google really is your friend and this thread is pretty helpful too.

Only difference between our setups is FreeNAS is running from inside vmware, you don't get direct access to the disks so you need a bit of fudging this thread is good for that:

http://blog.davidwarburton.net/2010/10/25/rdm-mapping-of-local-sata-storage-for-esxi/

I've not had chance to test how this actually works in anger but I will do this weekend as girlfriend is away so I've got some peace and quiet :)

Associate
Ok, network drive mapped to my windows machine, reporting 5.45TB useable space.

I had to switch around my setup a few times so it's having to recover the 4th drive again (another 13+ hours!) but, fingers crossed it's working.

Last thing left will be checking it's performing fast enough, and trying to get those samba transfer speeds up. If all seems well tomorrow, I'll post up a guide for anyone else that's interested.

Associate
Ok, formatting is a little screwed up, but meh, it should be pretty readable. Basically I've written exactly what I wished existed when I started this whole thing. Hope it helps someone!

Building initial USB key

Note, you must use the desktop one, you can't use the alternate or server version (you need live cd functionality)
  • open the usb installer
  • select the correct desktop build you have downloaded, and select that iso.
  • select your pen drive.
  • select the persistant option, and select a casper partition (2GB is plenty)
  • allow this to build
  • Once built, stick this into your server (any usb slot)

Booting up

• The server should boot this usb stick with no changes to bios (assuming nothing else bootable is present of course)
  • select run from this usb
  • You should now be at the ubuntu desktop

Configure enviroment

First off, you need to fix a missing link that will prevent the system from being able to update itself correctly.

open a terminal and enter the following:

Code:
ln -s /cdrom/casper/vmlinuz /vmlinuz

note I found this didn't work unless I first deleted the existing /vmlinuz directory.

• Now, we're able to add/remove the packages we need to get this going.
  • We don't need the installed dmraid packages, and they will screw around with the drives at boot time, making it impossible for the program we want to use to function. Either from the package manager or synaptic remove dmraid, and libdmraid.
  • We need mdadm to control our raid array, so install that package in the same manner.

Setting up the drives

Now, here I admit I'm a little hazy, as I tried lots of things and generally faffed around until it worked.

All I think you need to do is make primary partitions on all of your drives, and mdadm can handle the rest. You can do this with gparted, cfdisk fdisk etc, whichever you are happiest with. You can set the 'raid' flag too, but I don't think that actually prevents it from working otherwise.

Assuming you have 4 drives in the bays like I do, what you want to end up with is sda1,sdb1,sdc1,sdd1. You can verify this from console by typing this:

Code:
sudo fdisk -l

Assuming this is all correct, it's time to assemble the array using mdadm.

Setting up raid with adadm

For a raid5 raid volume spanning all 4 disks, you'd type the following:

Code:
mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=5 --raid-devices=4 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1

Check you're getting what you want:

Code:
sudo mdadm --query --detail /dev/md0

Refer to this document if you need other options: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=408461

It should now get to work building the array. You can monitor progress from the console:

Code:
watch cat /proc/mdstat

If you're building an array like mine, expect it to take *Forever* (13 + hours)

But, we still need to set a few more things up, and you can do that while it's building.

I'm not sure if you need this, but to be on the safe side, you can use a script to put the details of your raid setup into mdadm.conf

Code:
sudo /usr/share/mdadm/mkconf

After a short delay, this should write the required lines into the file (you will be able to see the lines it adds on the console)

Basic Samba setup

We are going to want samba to share things to the pc, so we need to install these packages:

samba
libpam-smbpass

I will expand this later if anyone wants it, but samba is pretty straight forward and well documented. The easiest way to kick it off is actually through the gui, navigate to your mount point for the device, right click, propeties, and go to sharing and this will generaly set it up for you. Note that I still had issues until went into the console and put in the password again for the samba user (even though there's some stuff that's meant to link them together)

Code:
smbpasswd
(follow instructions)

it should appear as a share from a windows machine, and accept that login.

Obviously there's lots of stuff you can do here, way beyond the scope of this guide to just getting it going.

Remote SSH

you are also likely to want to be able to remotely access the machine using ssh. By default, it's not included in

the live cd install, so add it:

Code:
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install openssh-server

You can now access the machine across the network.

Formatting the array

I think you need to wait until the array is built (could be wrong!) before you can add a filesystem:
Code:
mkfs -t ext3 /dev/md0

note ext3 is the filesystem, you may want to read around if you aren't sure which one you want. This will take a fair while, but not as long as it did to build the array.

Mounting the array

now we need this new raid volume to be mounted somewhere. I'm sure linux experts will have suggestions, but I just

stuck it in /mnt/storage like so:
Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/storage
sudo mount /dev/md0 /mnt/storage

you will most likely want this folder owned by the ubuntu user rather than root:
Code:
sudo chown -R ubuntu:users /mnt/storage/

Now we want to make this auto mount each time you boot the machine. This means adding a line to the fstab, but before we can do that we need to make one more change. By default the live cd wipes the fstab on each boot, which isn't very useful. To prevent that, enter the following from console:

Code:
sudo chmod -x /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/casper-bottom/12fstab

Code:
sudo update-initramfs -u

(the second one can take a little while, don't panic)

now we need to edit the fstab to include our new mount point

Code:
gksudo gedit /etc/fstab

for mine I added:

Code:
/dev/md0 /mnt/storage reiserfs defaults 0 3

Consult here for what you may need : http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

Success?

This is as far as I've got, I still need to work on improving smb performance and some other tweaks. However hopefully this saves you lots and lots of time I wasted to get this to work.

Last edited:
Associate
Annoyingly, I don't have a decent way to check atm, I'm back home at my parents and I don't have a way to connect two machines via a decent wired connection/switch so I'm over wifi. I'm able to stream stuff to this laptop fine, but I know that historically (and earlier in this thread I think!) the default samba speed is pretty poor and needs messing with.

EDIT:

Finally managed to run this, annoyingly you can't do it *after* there's a fs on there, which I'd noticed that before! I've got nothing to compare this to, so I don't know how right/wrong it is:

Last edited:

k3v

k3v

Associate
Thanks for the instructions, im still deciding on what OS to use in mine.
excuse the noob question but are you runnung ubuntu off of the usb pen drive or does it install to a hard drive?

Associate
Thanks for the instructions, im still deciding on what OS to use in mine.
excuse the noob question but are you runnung ubuntu off of the usb pen drive or does it install to a hard drive?

It is running entirely off the usb pen drive, as the 4 drives in the caddies are all part of the raid 5 array.

If you do end up trying it following those instructions, do let me know if anything isn't clear, I've written them as much for myself in 6 months time when I forget how the hell I made it work :p

k3v

k3v

Associate
Thanks for clearing that up, i wasnt sure if you had moved the supplied hard drive to the optical bay or not.
Im currently using unraid as a trial, but i dont think im gonna stick with it, ideally i want something that will give me remote access to download files on my hard drive on a remote computer with no additional software on it i.e. internet explorer. Can ubuntu desktop allow me to do this? One last noob question, why didnt you use the server version of ubuntu?

Soldato
Finally managed to run this, annoyingly you can't do it *after* there's a fs on there, which I'd noticed that before! I've got nothing to compare this to, so I don't know how right/wrong it is:

That looks pretty good to me, might think of using Ubuntu rather than Win2K8 then. How easy is it to add another drive into the raid.

My only reservation about using raid in Ubuntu is if your install corrupts, do you lose your array? Or is the config data about it stored on the array itself?

Kimbie

Soldato
I'm now running 4*2TB F4's in (effectively RAID 10) on ZFS. Here's a Bonnie benchmark on the pool. Also did one on a RAIDZ (similar to RAID5) for comparisons sake - no 13 hour initialise here :)

Code:
NAME	SIZE	Bonnie	Date(y.m.d)	File	Seq-Wr-Chr	%CPU	Seq-Wr-Blck	%CPU	Seq-Rewr	%CPU	Seq-Rd-Chr	%CPU	Seq-Rd-Blck	%CPU	Rnd Seeks	%CPU	Files	Seq-Create	Rnd-Create
mirrors	3.62T	start	2011.01.06	8G	35 MB/s		97	214 MB/s	84	122 MB/s	42	25 MB/s		99	338 MB/s	43	1275.8/s	7	16	7847/s		17480/s
raidz	7.25T	start	2011.01.06	8G	34 MB/s		94	205 MB/s	63	152 MB/s	56	25 MB/s		99	360 MB/s	48	499.8/s		3	16	17958/s		18905/s

Looks good to me, I was surprised by the RAIDZ CPU usage being lower than the RAID10.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm now running 4*2TB F4's in (effectively RAID 10) on ZFS. Here's a Bonnie benchmark on the pool. Also did one on a RAIDZ (similar to RAID5) for comparisons sake - no 13 hour initialise here :)

Code:
NAME	SIZE	Bonnie	Date(y.m.d)	File	Seq-Wr-Chr	%CPU	Seq-Wr-Blck	%CPU	Seq-Rewr	%CPU	Seq-Rd-Chr	%CPU	Seq-Rd-Blck	%CPU	Rnd Seeks	%CPU	Files	Seq-Create	Rnd-Create
mirrors	3.62T	start	2011.01.06	8G	35 MB/s		97	214 MB/s	84	122 MB/s	42	25 MB/s		99	338 MB/s	43	1275.8/s	7	16	7847/s		17480/s
raidz	7.25T	start	2011.01.06	8G	34 MB/s		94	205 MB/s	63	152 MB/s	56	25 MB/s		99	360 MB/s	48	499.8/s		3	16	17958/s		18905/s

Thank you! This is exactly what I'll be setting up tonight (same HDD's too).
Did you use FreeNAS or just plain FreeBSD?
Looks good to me, I was surprised by the RAIDZ CPU usage being lower than the RAID10.

Edit: Also - what params did you pass to Bonnie++ to get that output? I'll do the same tonight to compare!

Soldato
Thank you! This is exactly what I'll be setting up tonight (same HDD's too).
Did you use FreeNAS or just plain FreeBSD?

Edit: Also - what params did you pass to Bonnie++ to get that output? I'll do the same tonight to compare!

I'm running Solaris Express 11, rather than BSD. I'm using a great web interface called napp-it. I was fine with the CLI for setting up zpools and folders, but the web interface was very handy for working out how to do iSCSI. Running Bonnie from the web interface returns that nicely formatted output, I expect you can check his source code out for more details.

Associate
Thanks for clearing that up, i wasnt sure if you had moved the supplied hard drive to the optical bay or not.
Im currently using unraid as a trial, but i dont think im gonna stick with it, ideally i want something that will give me remote access to download files on my hard drive on a remote computer with no additional software on it i.e. internet explorer. Can ubuntu desktop allow me to do this? One last noob question, why didnt you use the server version of ubuntu?

I wish I could have used the server version, but as it stands I don't think there's a 'live cd' version of it, which is what I needed for hassle free booting/running from the stick. I guess I may be able to install from server cd onto a stick or something like that, but it's a lot of hassle.

afaik, there aren't huge differences between the two, so unless I hit some brick wall I don't need to change it. If the time comes I do move over to that, I can just use mdadm and get my raid array back again.

My only reservation about using raid in Ubuntu is if your install corrupts, do you lose your array? Or is the config data about it stored on the array itself?

The data to rebuild the array is on the drives themselves. For example, I wiped my usb stick a few times trying slightly different versions of the method I used in the end, and each time I could get my array back with:

Code:
sudo mdadm --assemble --scan

This is the advantage of using linux software raid, it's not dependant on specific controllers/hardware.

Last edited:
Associate
Can you remote download files in ubuntu?

What exactly do you mean? Just so I give the right answer :)

I just gave the system a proper test; turned it off, popped out a drive and powered it up again. Sure enough the array is deactivated, I reactive with 3/4 drives, and I can go on like nothing happened. Pop the drive back in, and it rebuilds in the background. Yeah, yeah I know this is just normal raid5 operation, but I've never had my own setup before :)

k3v

k3v

Associate
Thanks for helping

What i would like to be able to do is download a copy of say an mp3 from a friends house but by not having to install software on their machine, i.e. by using internet explorer. As i understand it ( might be wrong) WHS lets you do this, the drive extender gobbbles half your capacity if you switch on folder duplication, so this is why im looking at raid 5 or unraid.

Associate
Dear xyz,

I do apologise for the delay in sending out your rebate payment, due to the popularity of the promotion and the Christmas holidays we are running a bit behind schedule sending out cheques.

I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by this delay. Your cheque will be sent out as soon as possible.

Kind Regards
Claire King

FFS, well over a month for me (purchased in Nov so on the £50 rebate). They havent even posted the cheques yet, this is from the official email i received on the 6th December saying it would be with me within 31 days. 31 days, not working days i hasten to add !?

Anyone else having any more joy ?

Back
Top Bottom