• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sandy Bridge 2500k Just Died

OcUK Staff
Dave getting almost the same build as you tommorow; GD55 + Geil Values but 2500k.....ExCiTeD!!.....unfortunately, will only be able to put it together after my exams on 19th.
Gibbo, one queation, were these Geils released/stocked especially for Sandybridge?

I got them in mainly because GeIL are on of the worlds best memory manufacturers and never cut corners on quality and they DBT everything for ultimate reliability. Then their pricing is excellent and yes these do the have the bonus of been fine with SB. :)

Soldato
Yeah I've always liked GeIL and I'd expect it from their memory as they always over-engineer the stuff, but the Corsair has really surprised me. Yes for the money they are both amazing deals.

You tried say 8-8-8-24 timings with the GeIL, will it do it?

I tried, but the system wouldn't boot, but hey, it's value ram, that does what it says on the tin :D

Soldato
The other to try is 8-9-8-28 at 1.55v

Then work from there mate. :)

Tried that at 1600mhz, won't boot.

It runs at 8-8-8-24 at 1.5v but 1333mhz, is the tighter timing better than the higher frequency?

EDIT: Just ran SuperPi a few times at 4.8ghz and 1333mhz ram with 8-8-8-24 timings, and it's slower.
May try and run 1800mhz with looser timings...

They ran at 10-10-10-34 and 1800mhz with 1.55v, but was still slower than the standard 9-9-9-28 and 1600mhz with 1.50v

Will keep experimenting

Last edited:
Associate
Ive ordered Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-15000C9 1866MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9) [CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9]
with my asus pro and i7-2600K it should be here today what speed should i run the ram at please full spec 1600 or 1333 ? any advice much appreciated.

Soldato
seems a lot of these chips are dead after a few days

No not really. I think i've seen one dead chip and a bunch of folk with stability problems which at this time could easily be BIOS problems or memory problems. Having one chip die out of 10 would be bad. OCUK said they've sold over 600. Not counting how many were sent out early to all the e-tailers to test in rigs and so on.

If come today or tomorrow there are a lot more threads then yes there would appear to be a problem as that's when the majority will be getting hands on time with their kit.

Associate
No not really. I think i've seen one dead chip and a bunch of folk with stability problems which at this time could easily be BIOS problems or memory problems. Having one chip die out of 10 would be bad. OCUK said they've sold over 600. Not counting how many were sent out early to all the e-tailers to test in rigs and so on.

If come today or tomorrow there are a lot more threads then yes there would appear to be a problem as that's when the majority will be getting hands on time with their kit.

yeah but plus mines people who are not signed up for this forum and so. So not many people would come here to share their problems, but overall i am seeing the sandy bridge death trend all over the net "/

Soldato
yeah but plus mines people who are not signed up for this forum and so. So not many people would come here to share their problems, but overall i am seeing the sandy bridge death trend all over the net "/

Please share. Even on the almighty NeoGaf the only mention I can find of anything to worry about is a quote from Gilly about safe voltages and the like.

Google brings up a few posts on other boards but they all link back here too.

Please post a source.

Associate
Care to quote some posts?

Please share. Even on the almighty NeoGaf the only mention I can find of anything to worry about is a quote from Gilly about safe voltages and the like.

Google brings up a few posts on other boards but they all link back here too.

Please post a source.

4chan /g/ xD
i know not the best source but people were sharing their experiences, which didn't impress me too much

Soldato

*****.net, Overclockers.com and Tomshardware.com all speak of this forum and there watching very closely. Sweeping statements like that with no facts dont help.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Well our system is still prime stable with memory set at 1.65v, its been running now for over 24hrs under constant load and no signs of flaking or falling over. :)

Soldato
sorry i had no bad intentions it's just i am getting my rig this friday just a bit worried

Dont worry mate, there is lots of people like you in the same position including me. Its very promising Gibbo's results so lets just hope its a mix of wrong configs and 1 faulty chip.

Soldato
I remember wolfdale chips being pushed too far by some people on release. Some people carried on as if they were like the indestructible 65nm conroe chips.

In fact the second hand market was full of these "degraded" chips.

The problems with Wolfdale I think was more down to people choosing to overclock on cheap motherboards that didn't have any VRAM cooling.

Back
Top Bottom