• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Official 5830 Thread!

Associate
Thanks Spirit.

I just ran Vantage at high settings with only the resolution changed to 1080.
The card is at c875 m1200

Results are:

GPU 7897
CPU 13458

GPU Test 1: 24.79
GPU Test 2: 21.42

Feature test 1: 1383.70 GTEXTELS
Feature test 2: 4.31 GPIXELS
Feature test 3: 43.84 FPS
Feature test 4: 30.84 FPS
Feature test 5: 45.18 FPS
Feature test 6: 114.43 FPS

Running the test at c1000 and m1200 now will post results in a bit. Just for info i'm comparing with: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd5830/16.htm and my results at 875/1200 are lower than their high test at stock clock where they got 8952 (although i run it at 1080 they run it at 1050), does it sound about right?

Edit New results:

Card OC at c980 m1200

GPU 8633
CPU 13455

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Muel, sorry to hear you are having an issue with a blank screen after gaming. That does sound like a driver issue, although you've probably delt with it by now since it was a month ago.

It just went away, I think the upgrade from 10.7 to 10.8 sorted it.

I've been neglecting my gamer side recently, I've just moved out and I've been really busy getting to know a new city and new people. Still got my Powercolor at stock settings, just can't see the point in clocking it considering the tiny gains people tend to get out of them. Considering future upgrade options now though, I'm thinking another 5830, a couple of SSDs in RAID 0 and a 95w 1055t clocked to silly levels. :)

Soldato
OP
Long time no posts!

Who's overclocked their Powercolor 5830 PCS+ then? I'm gonna have a crack at mine I think, just wondering what kinda level to be aiming at?

Associate
Muel, long time no post as you said.

So, finally going to go for that crossfire eh? Nice one! The great thing about all these shiny new cards that have come out since we last spoke is 5830's are going cheap. :D

Ideal for you my friend. I'm afraid I sold mine because I had the opportunity to buy a 6850 for £100. Guess what - it's barely faster than a 5830!

Which brand did you get? Hopefully one with a fan as quiet as the powercolor one. Really impressed me that cooler. I was tempted by the VTX 5870 for £170 currently on offer with OCUK as it uses the same cooler. I know it will be quiet, and the 5870 is a beast of a card. Your 5830 crossfire will beat it however, especially in minimum frames and tessellation!

Let us know your results. :) I may crossfire this 6850 in the future too.

Soldato
OP
Hey dude, you traitor! Get out! :p

6850 for £100 is seriously good though, nice going.

I got a matching Powercolor PCS+ for £90 posted, with all the packaging and that. Think that's a pretty good price really; I paid £170 for mine and the cheapest I've ever seen them brand new was £135. (Nearly bought one).

I'm expecting some dodgy results, but at least I'll be able to say I tried CF, and if it all goes wrong I doubt I'll make a loss on it if I wack it back on eBay.

Associate
I know, I know - I'll grab my coat.... :p My 6850 was a one off from someone I knew.

That is a good price - as you well know 5830's crossfire well, just hope you don't have any motherboard or power issues.

Very well done on grabbing another PCS+ - you will need those quiet and large fans with two on the go!

Soldato
OP
"Should" be ok on the power front. 650w power supply and in one benchmark review I saw the system was pulling 500w from the wall. That was on an i5 though and I have a 140w 965BE...

Motherboard is a goodun; Gigabyte GPA890-UD3H.

Just need to get it, test it/bench it to get some results of both cards running on their own, then if it's all working fine get the cabling for it and test the CF setup!

Soldato
not the same but my crossfired 5870's running furmark and cpu running prime95 my system was pulling 400w from the wall , the 5830's in crossfire would pull a little less although i do still have both my 5830's in other systems

Soldato
OP
Hmmm cheers for that info! I reckon I should be safe with my PSU then. Corsair 650w. (Either HX or TX, can't remeber. The yellow one.)

Soldato
OP
No mate. Still not arrived. Guy is being very helpful and keeping in touch, but the tracking number doesn't work.

Mildly worrying, but he has 60+ feedback. Says he's gonna sort it so we'll just have to see.

Associate
Worrying indeed. :( Hope it works itself out, or it's the long journey of paypal dispute if he won't refund...you'll win of course, especially if the tracking number is not valid, but it takes a month or so to get the cash back.

Hopefully it won't come to that.

I've noticed parcels being slower as of late - I think Royal Mail still have a backlog to clear from the bad weather.

Soldato
OP
It was sent with someone I've never heard of before calle Hermes.

Anyway good news! Just arrived. I have it in now, it seems to work. Gonna run it solo for a few days to check everything is OK, then on Monday I'll order the cables I need to power the thing.

Think I'm gonna treat my system to a fresh OS install with the latest drivers and profiles. I'm still running on the 10.8 drivers, haven't bothered to change them over the last few months. Might try the 11.1 beta drivers, if not it'll be the 10.12 from the dl site.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
repost

EDIT: Ready to go! The filthy one at the top is the existing one. This is now in the box awaiting cleaning and cabling. The lower one is now in place, has been fine all day and is running a fair bit cooler than the dust filled one! £90 well spent so far...

2011-01-20115006.jpg

5:45AM Update: I've been working on a uni assignment all not, got it submitted but I was still wired. No way I would have slept, so I've ordered the cables I need and given the old 5830 a good clean. Now all that remains is to get it set up and bench this beast! :)

25/01/2011 12:28 Update: Cables have arrived! not got time to set it up now but will do tonight, then it's benchy time! My plan is when AMD 11.1 is released officially, I'm going to reinstall W7 fresh. I just lost a hard drive yesterday though so now would be a good time to start from scratch and work out exactly what to do, so I may well order an SSD for the OS, return the knackered HDD for a replacement and buy another, so I'd have 3xHDDs for RAID 5.

26/01/2010 01:20 Update: Got it set up earlier today, had a bit of time to bench. So far I've tested with Crysis Benchmark (35.4-35.9fps, or 1.4% increase), DiRT2 (39.6-65.8fps, 66.1% increase), Unigine Heaven Benchmark (19.1-35.2fps, 84.2% increase), Unigine Tropics Benchmark (27.6-51.2, 85.5% increase), 3DMark06 (17673-20332, 15.0% increase) and 3DMark11 (3256-5380, 65.2% increase). Quite happy with the results overall! Older pre-5*** tests aren't performing as well, particularly in the case of Crysis, but DiRT2 showed a significant increase and is probably the benchmark I value most highly. Was shocked by the Heaven benchmark, 84% increase, then Tropics gave an 85.5% increase!

Last edited:
Associate
With two cards, you're probably CPU limited in a few tests - you have that much 3D power! :D Yes - lots of dust you had to clear away - however, these cards are thankfully easy to clean. I've had past cards that were a knightmare. All cards should have a plastic shroud that only takes four normal screws to remove. :)

Thanks for the update! I can't see any reason for you to upgrade in a while - it should play any game going, especially with your near double tesselation performance as shown in heaven. What is the noise level like? I'd imagine it's still pretty good.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This is my guess mate, I have a big benchmarking test lined up, expect results this week. Got some of it done so far, but lots still to do. The results above were from when I was experimenting with overclocks, now I've got it all sorted. Benching at [email protected] CPU, [email protected] CPU-NB, cards at 900/1125 and 24/7 at [email protected] CPU, [email protected] CPU-NB, cards at 875/1100. Cooling is an issue with the big voltages needed for the bench clocks, so I have to remove the front panel of my case so the dust filters aren't restricting it, and take the CPU fan off auto and run it at full chat because on auto it maxes at 1800rpm, and at full speed goes to over 2200rpm.

I'm going to bench it at everying stock and everything at the bench clocks, (because that's my CPU, CPU-NB and cards maxed out), with CF on and off, so several hours benching to fit in this week!

Filthy card was easy to clean, didn't remove the shroud, just used a tooth brush to get the thick out then a feather duster to get it properly clean. Not perfect but it's easily cool enough at the bench clocks now.

EDIT: BTW, any benchies that people would like to see? I'm doing 3DMark06, 3DMark11, Unigine Heaven, Unigine Tropics, DiRT2, Crysis and if I can get it working, Crysis Warhead.

Last edited:
Associate
As long as you get it clean I guess it doesn't matter - just be careful of static discharge! I found it easier just to remove the shroud, as it doesn't have any warrenty stickers over the screws.

You could try LostPlanet2 free benchmark - that is a GPU limited card killer, although it is bias towards nvidia hardware it would be interesting how your crossfire gets on. :)

Soldato
OP
I have never had an issue with unwanted discharge yet mate, should be reet. :p

I've finished benching at last, mad busy at the moment. Write up to come next week. I have run Lost Planet 2. Results are indeed interesting.

Soldato
OP
Righteo everyone,

I’ve finally finished benching my CF Powercolor 5830 setup, here are the results and write up, but first, a naff phone pic.

2011-02-15144451.jpg

How much hardware can you fit in an Antec 300? Still room for a couple of SSDs and a 240 Rad in there. I have a thing for the little 300, doubt it'll be leaving any time soon.

Testing Method

My testing method was to run every test 5 times, and pick out the one with the highest average FPS result. I should have average them I suppose for more accurate results, but I’m an overclocker! The highest result counts in my book.

System Spec

Here is my system spec:

• CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965BE
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GPA890-UD3H
  • RAM: 2x2gb G.Skill 1600mhz C9
  • Graphics: Powercolor 5830 PCS+ Crossfire
  • PSU: Corsair TX650w
  • Storage: 1x Samsung F3 1tb
  • Case: Antec 300 (HDD bays removed, HDD suspended in 5.25” bays, 2x120mm front & 1x140mm roof Xigmatek white LED fans, second gutted PSU as a cable store, loads of cable management holes).

Clockspeed Profiles

These are the clock profiles I tested at:

settings.jpg

I only tested at the Stock and Bench settings, because I don’t have enough time to do it all, and if I had a case that could deal with the temps with the front panel attached, I’d run the Bench settings day to day. I performed the test throughout 4 times, Stock with CF disabled, Stock with CF enabled, Bench with CF disabled and Bench with CF enabled.

Benchmarks & Settings

I deal with real life benchmarks where possible, so some of these are modded, for instance Crysis has the Extreme Quality V1.31 Mod Extreme Version because that’s how I play it. I wanted an accurate figure for my setup. Unfortunately this means that it won’t be an accurate result for comparing to other systems, but it shows the scaling and that on my system.

The Benchmark tests I used were:

• 3DMark06 (Free, so the stock settings).
  • 3DMark11 (Free, so the stock settings).
  • Crysis Time Benchmark (Extreme Quality V1.31 Mod Extreme Version, 1920x1080 (wouldn’t allow 1920x1200), 64 Bit, DX10)
  • Crysis Warhead Benchmark (1920x1200, Very High (tweaked), Airfield, DX10)
  • DiRT2 (1920x1200, 60hz, 8xMSAA, everything else maxed).
  • Unigine Heaven Benchmark (DX11, Stereo 3D off, Shaders high, Tesselation normal, Ansiotropy 4, AA off, 1920x1200)
  • Unigine Tropics Benchmark (DX11, Stereo 3D off, Ambient Occlusion on, Reflection on, Shaders high, Ansiotropy 4, AA off, 1920x1200)
  • Lost Planet 2 (1920x1200, DX11, 60hz, Anti-Aliasing M8AA8X, Motion Blur on, everything else maxed)

Results

I could provide proof, but I can’t be bothered uploading and linking 32 screenshots, so I’ll just wack the results in.

results.jpg

Summary

As you can see, in some cases by adding a second GPU and overclocking everything I could, I got over 100% increase, sweet! However, when you delve a little deeper, things are not so great.

Firstly, if I only consider the results of things I can actually play and use, (“real” results in my book), which here are Crysis, Crysis Warhead, DiRT2 and Lost Planet 2, the average increase for them going from Stock Single to Bench CF is 62.16%, still not bad, but then I ran into that loveliest of issues with CF setups, microstutter. It was most obvious in Lost Planet 2, in fact it was so bad I had to look away while it was running, it was painful. It was so bad that even with the increase of 77% in average framerates, if I actually played it I’d disable Crossfire.

DiRT 2 and Warhead gave the most satisfying results for me. Visual improvements on screen.

Crysis gave some funny results! I got a higher result on a single card overclocked than both cards stock. I guess it’s just not “tuned” for multi GPU setups.

In real terms then that everyone can understand, adding the second GPU gave

Conclusion

To sum up then, yes you can run Crossfire 5830s with success, it gives a pretty dual GPU setup to fill your case, does a fantastic job of keeping your room warm, and some decent results in most things, but it cost me £90 for another card, plus £20 to cable it in. I could have got around £100 for my 5830, add the £110 it would have cost me to add another 5830 to it, take £10 off for posting the current card off, then I’d have £200 kicking around. GTX480/6950 anyone?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom