GUIDE: Adblocker for IE8 (from adblock plus) (list updated regularly)

Associate
Help for IE9 Element Hiding

I had to post and give something back to you all... First, a Huge Thanks to everyone here. I have a solution which works for me to hide elements in IE9, since the TPL lists don't. I will link to a piece of software which I grabbed while still in beta. If you do not update the software, it will not have to be purchased. The beta works flawlessly, but the final release allows only blocking of 100 ads per day for free (not many), but this one will block unlimited. It places a small icon on status bar (not shown by default in IE9), so you will have to enable the status bar once, and right click on the icon, go to settings, choose country, check privacy filters, and click update settings. Just don't update the software itself. Happy hiding!

It is also fully compatible with IE9 64-bit

https://cid-0d21e50b424e7db3.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/simpleadblockbeta.zip

UPDATE: You can also even write your own filters if you want!!! Simply add them to the easylistpersonal.txt file located at C:\Users\"Your Username"\AppData\LocalLow\SimpleAdblock Folder

Last edited:
Associate
To all here,
Just wondering if you had any idea how to syntax a tpl list to hide elements.. Any ideas would be great... I am currently hiding with an addon.. I have figured out a way to load my own custom tpl, but the syntax must be wrong because it isn't hiding anything at all. It's currently run with a dash and a space in front of each line.

Many thanks in advance.

Michael

Associate
With the help of the awesome script you wrote! I just can't seem to get my list to actually HIDE elements..... I'm not sure if IE even supports it. With powershell, I can modify the list anyway I want to in seconds, I just haven't figured out how to format it to HIDE the empty elements.... Anyway, I will keep on trying, and if I get it to work, I will post it with instructions to install it.
"Better to try like hell and fail, than to not try at all!"

Associate
Haha yeah go for it! IE can't hide the elements, only thing keeping TPLs from being legit full-featured adblocking, as EasyList mentioned in thier blog, and also why they aren't officially supporting EasyList TPLs. Best of luck :)

Associate
Dang it! Figures... I don't know much Java.. I deal with Windows server and Windows 7..Cisco... but I wonder if you could write a PAC script to do it, or are those strictly for blocking as well? Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Associate
Another solution for hiding elements in IE9 is to use fanboy's opera css. I found it to be the fastest hiding solution so far. I modified it slightly to remove some extra items, namely things at cnet and softpedia, since I frequent those sites. Here is a link to my version, although all credit belongs to fanboy.

http://cid-0d21e50b424e7db3.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/fanboy-IE9-Mod.css

To use it, save it to your computer somewhere, and when you open IE9, go to tools, internet options, and click on the accessability push button on the bottom right of the general tab, check the box for "format documents using my style sheet", and browse to the css file. Restart IE, and you're done!

Cheers!

Associate
But the best solution to block ads not only on IE9 but on ALL browsers, is using Ad Muncher. Of course, it's not free. But it's so advanced and elegant, I think the price may be worth it.

Associate
Agreed. ;) I got one of those 4.x premium licenses back in the day for $25. Some of the best money I've spent. What they're charging for the lifetime licenses nowadays though... wow, expensive. Possibly still worth it though, you're right. They're constantly updating and improving it.

Associate
Will have to look into this.. Thanks.. Anyone ever use webwasher? I have heard it is rather good also. Is Ad-Muncher fast? or does it have to wait for the page to load before it executes?

Associate
Fanboy is outright supporting TPLs now :) : http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/ie.html

When I have some free time I'm going to see about adapting it for use with IE8 using my MakeFilters script... or as I said before: if there's some PowerShell wizard out there who wants to do a better job of it, please go for it, as mine was more meant as a proof-of-concept/exercise for myself.

Last edited:
Soldato
So you have to update the filter manually?

That's a chore, and people will inevitably forget. I'm not sure I see the point when Firefox and Chrome have adblockers which automatically update.
You could probably use wget and a batch file if you wanted it so it auto updates...

I'm using a 1 month old filter list on Iron and get suprisingly few Ads...

Associate
Manually update for IE8 of course, but the TPLs in IE9 function as subscriptions, expiring and updating themselves regularly from the source. :)

(When/if I get around to updating MakeFilters to convert TPLs to InPrivate Filter Lists for IE8, automated update instructions will be included so you can schedule it in Windows Task Scheduler.)

Associate
The procedure in the first post is no longer required in IE9 because InPrivate Filters has been replaced with Tracker Protection Lists. Use the official fanboy page I linked a couple posts above. Add TPL and you've got yourself a subscription to fanboy's adblock list for IE. No need to ever update again. :)

Back
Top Bottom