Scottish Elections Result

Soldato
arent they the shetland islands oil? who can break off from scotland if scotland breaks off from the uk?

I'm not entirely sure. Sure Shetland has a proud norse history and see themselves in some respects separate from Scotland. I don't know how strong a feeling this is though.

For the oil and gas Shetland could have claim for some of it. But some is closer to mainland Scotland (pipelines to St Fergus and Cruden Bay). Jokester might have an idea.

Man of Honour
wouldnt northern ireland and wales need there own refferendum on independance? why would sotland having one mean everyone else leaves aswell? its not like scotland is the majority binding everyone else together

It's a political union - once you withdraw one part of the union you affect the whole. Whether everyone left subsequently decides that they want to go back to how it was (or near as damnit) wouldn't affect that a significant change has taken place to the Union.

Soldato
I'm not entirely sure. Sure Shetland has a proud norse history and see themselves in some respects separate from Scotland. I don't know how strong a feeling this is though.

For the oil and gas Shetland could have claim for some of it. But some is closer to mainland Scotland (pipelines to St Fergus and Cruden Bay). Jokester might have an idea.

They see themselves as seperate from Scotland and Britain, not part of it, its a certainty if Scotland broke free then the Shetlands would do the same.

Caporegime
what did it say?

i cant remember it was some anti english qoute.

i mentioned it in a post but never bothered to qoute what it said his reply was
It's tongue in cheek as a rebuttal to somewhat challanged people who constantly press xenophobic nonesense in relation to anything Scottish; although given your record and performance today I'm not suprised the irony flew right passed you...

(Is this OK?)
AKA its a troll baiter sig

Last edited:
Soldato
The Queen can easily remain head of state, just as she is for Australia and Canada.

I really can't see anyone in Scotland wanting the Queen head of state after the break up of the Union. I don't want her as the head of state now. They aren't our royals, I feel no connection to them and would overthrow them :)

Some of the anti Scottish posts in here are bang out of order. No sign of moderation though unless you say you pity some **** like BA would.

Carry on with your trolling you only reinforce some peoples opinion of why we should split from the "teet"

I very much agree with this statement, I really feel the mods should be more reactive in this thread. Some of the posts I've seen, troll or otherwise are absolutely disgusting racism.

It's essentially the same as me saying "Kill all N-words" or similar... it's utterly unacceptable in a modern society and thus should be nowhere present on a family forum where we are having a political discussion.

Associate
The treaty of union was signed in 1707. Now the Scottish parliament was not closed or disbanded it was in fact adjourned. England’s parliament reflected exactly
the same sentiment and was also adjourned. A new UK parliament was established in Westminster as a result we had one monarch under different laws, one parliament for the two countries.

Many of the posters here Scots and English alike seem to think that Scotland has no control over (whatever subject) as they are ‘reserved issues’ this is in fact mere Westminster propaganda.

There seems to be a furore surrounding the idea of independence, Unionist who refused a referendum to be tabled now calling for an immediate referendum, presumably believing it would be instantly
defeated and that would put paid to the question, however I’m not a fan of this notion of independence as for such a thing to exist there would need to be a dependence in the first place.
Any international treaty is open to amendment or revocation by the expressed will of either nation.

When our parliament in Scotland was reconvened in 1999, that simple act meant that nothing is or can be reserved unless we choose it. The decisions are ours.
It was so asserted on the opening day when Winnie Ewing opened the proceedings with the statement that “the Scottish Parliament adjourned on the
25th day of March in the year 1707 is hereby reconvened” declaring purposefully that the parliament of 1707 was back in session.

The reconvened Scots parliament was a conundrum for the UK. The United Kingdom now has a parliament in Westminster with limited authority over Scotland
for as long as we choose it, and only in the areas that we choose to accept.

England’s parliament suspended by the 1707 treaty has never been reconvened; therefore they remain entirely subject to the whims and vagaries of the UK parliament. This certainly does not benefit
the English having Scots, Welsh and N. Irish deciding their local affairs. They need to fix this, but that cannot be our problem.

It appears the UK cannot allow an English parliament to re-convene for exactly the same reasons they tried to stop the Scots. The English must see the UK parliament as “their parliament”.
The propaganda has apparently been exceedingly effective in England.

With the Scots parliament reconvened, parliament again had all rights accorded a sovereign entity, excepting those rights voluntarily placed with another. Preventing assertion of those rights is the primary goal of
the Unionist parties at Holyrood. Absent the blocking tactics of the three Unionist parties there is literally nothing in Scotland which can be “reserved” to another nation.

In other words there is absolutely no need for any referendum on Scottish independence!

------

Last edited:
Don
They see themselves as seperate from Scotland and Britain, not part of it, its a certainty if Scotland broke free then the Shetlands would do the same.
I'm not sure where this keeps coming from other than anti-independence propaganda and 1 Shetland councillor, but there's no credible evidence that Shetland would actively persue independence from Scotland. There's no politicial representation at all for it, either at a Scottish parliament or a UK parliament level, and no candidates stand on an independence platform.

As it is, I think it's about 50/50 in terms of reserves between mainland Scotland and Shetland.

I would keep the royals, they have actively represent the UK in a positive light (even Charles and Phillip :p ) and they have a strong connection to Scotland so I would still keep them. Doing away with them would be cutting your nose off to spite your face in my opinion.

50% of Scotland's GDP is public spending, subsidized by English taxpayers.

What could possibly go wrong?
It's not 50%, it's more like 45% compated to the UK average of 44%, nothing that can't be dealt with by proper government. The difference can be funded by oil revenues and a similar level of deficit that the UK as a whole has.

Soldato
I am pretty sure I read the Oil wouldn't even be in Scottish waters... and that Thatcher signed the ownership of it over to Westminster. Pinch of salt though, I am having trouble finding any sources.

Associate
I am pretty sure I read the Oil wouldn't even be in Scottish waters... and that Thatcher signed the ownership of it over to Westminster. Pinch of salt though, I am having trouble finding any sources.

You’re basically correct the Scottish Adjacent Waters Boundaries Order 1999 was set up in addition to the Scotland Act 1998. It moves the waters regarded as English by Westminster 0.09km north of the boundary for oil installations set out by Civil Jurisdiction (Offshore Activities) Order 1987. However I very much doubt that a Westminster parliament, in the event of a separation between Scotland and England, could justify not returning the boundary between the two countries to pre 1707 status.

------

Soldato
All the arguing in this thread :(

Why can't we all just get along for our MUTUAL benefit? This island is bloomin' tiny for crying out loud...

Caporegime
You’re basically correct the Scottish Adjacent Waters Boundaries Order 1999 was set up in addition to the Scotland Act 1998. It moves the waters regarded as English by Westminster 0.09km north of the boundary for oil installations set out by Civil Jurisdiction (Offshore Activities) Order 1987. However I very much doubt that a Westminster parliament, in the event of a separation between Scotland and England, could justify not returning the boundary between the two countries to pre 1707 status.

------
We'll cut you from england and set you sailing towards iceland the oil wont follow you :D

Don
How is Salmond viewed in Scotland ?
People generally view him as being a smug git, even if they support the SNP :p

I think politically he's well respected as he turned a party that was, well, little more than fringe into the majority. What's more incredible is that the PR system was used to effectively prevent the SNP from getting into this position. If a pure FPTP system had been used, the SNP would have won almost 73% of the seats.

Man of Honour
People generally view him as being a smug git, even if they support the SNP :p

In all fairness it seems like as close to a factual statement as you'll get in politics "Alex Salmond appears to be a smug git" - well that's something we can all agree on. :D

I'd say he was a very capable politician (whether that's a compliment depends on your views on politicians) who as you say has managed to deal well with bringing a fringe party into being the clear majority party - timing and the incompetence of his opponents has helped no doubt but equally he's been able to capitalise on it neatly. He's smart in keeping his goals centre stage and maintaining debate on them but generally not forcing the issues too much so that people immediately dismiss them. Furthermore as far as I can tell (from a slightly detached but interested position) the SNP have done a fairly decent job of governing the country over the last term.

Soldato
yup comes across as a right smug git with a coupon you would never tire of slapping

BUT

he seems a decent bloke and has a rare quality for a political figure, he does what he says. personally think he's done a decent job as FM so far and will do so for the next parliment again

Permabanned
OP
I read your posts pre-tensed because you're so aggressive in your tone and attitude towards England

:confused: :rolleyes:

Show me once in this thread where I have done anything like that. Quite the opposite, I've been very positive towards England's future.

that we should be so grateful for Scotlands being part of it rather than the other way round,

Erm....

your dislike for Westminster and the UK in general

And? What's that got to do with you?

and your seemingly unwaverable attitude that Scotland would be better off without the Union.

That is absolutely no justification to get aggressive with someone plat.

I'm sorry, but you really are talking a lot of urine.

talk about facts and figures yet when people provide facts and figures that show just how much Scotland would suffer and indeed how much England would suffer you tend to ignore them.

:confused:

No one has produced figures in this thread?

I would dearly love to have a reasoned debate on the subject, and for the most part they are, but in order to have debate one must be willing to have ones mind changed; I've never for once thought you are that kind of person.

Absolute nonsense.

Your sig may well have been "tongue in cheek" but its indicative of your general attitude.

No it isn't you are bitter and clutching at straws here, I've already explained it and if you can't understand it your failings are not my fault.

You can guarantee if it had been the other way round you wouldn't have been so "understanding" of its irony and hilarity. It's always the same. It's ok to bash England, bash the UK, etc but have a go at Scotland? Heaven forbid.

You quite simply are talking out your hairty bum hole I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom