• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD - Home of the world’s fastest GPU

Associate
I understand they're all excited about the 7970, and if they had left it at "World's Fastest GPU" nobody would've contested it. But for 785 days and counting? they must've taken breaks between the days to count, like between 5870 launch and 480 launch, continuing that approach right back to the days of the Radeon 9700.

Associate
Hmm... I'm assuming this is referencing to the 5970 back in 2009 with no direct competition, then the 6990. But the 590 is pretty much tied with the 6990... so... *slaps AMD*

Except the 5970 is not a GPU. It's two GPUs. And each of those were slower than the GTX 480. They should've said "home of the world's fastest graphics card then" ...

But 785 days and counting. I want some of whatever they're smoking. Maybe they can give me their dealer's name.

Associate
Maybe it stands for graphic pimping umpire. Since graphical processing unit is an nvidia coined term, just like SLI... AMD can't use the same term :p

Caporegime
You're reading it wrong obviously, its counting down....... they know already know Kepler's launch date ;)

In fairness, its said I'm 99% sure fastest graphics card on there pretty much since the 5870 launched, and they've been right, 5870, then 5970, then 6990.

The 590gtx was on par with the 6990 in some things but noticeably behind in others and overclocked there was no competition. One company limited overclocking to prevent cards blowing up, the other massively overspecced the VRM's to deal with whatever the cores can handle with ease.

Associate
You're reading it wrong obviously, its counting down....... they know already know Kepler's launch date ;)

In fairness, its said I'm 99% sure fastest graphics card on there pretty much since the 5870 launched, and they've been right, 5870, then 5970, then 6990.

The 590gtx was on par with the 6990 in some things but noticeably behind in others and overclocked there was no competition. One company limited overclocking to prevent cards blowing up, the other massively overspecced the VRM's to deal with whatever the cores can handle with ease.

That did look true early on, with the first batch of 590s and early drivers, but this requires some reassessment. Games where 6990 had a massive lead, like dragon age 2, got fixed with newer drivers where 590 had over 100% gain. http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...-gtx-590-oc-vs-radeon-6990-oc-conclusion.html If u look at more recent benches like anand bench 2012 the reverse seems to be the case where when 6990 wins, it wins by a small margin but there are games where 590 wins by a lot. Keeping in mind the590 is low clocked I've seen it OCed to 580 clocks which is a 170mhz OC. The 6990, then, is no faster and I suspect it might be slower on average at max OC-- though it may still have a slight lead at 1600p

Caporegime
The problem being, 590gtx's have a habit of blowing up at decent overclocks, and afaik later drivers put in throttling so overclocking was more and more pointless, the 6990 you could stick under water and get great overclocks out of.

The 590gtx could have been very fast but they ultimately cheaped out on it, which is madness because if they'd way overspecced the VRM's and other bits and let watercoolers go silly with voltage and clocks it likely would have been faster.

Associate
The problem being, 590gtx's have a habit of blowing up at decent overclocks, and afaik later drivers put in throttling so overclocking was more and more pointless, the 6990 you could stick under water and get great overclocks out of.

The 590gtx could have been very fast but they ultimately cheaped out on it, which is madness because if they'd way overspecced the VRM's and other bits and let watercoolers go silly with voltage and clocks it likely would have been faster.

True about the poor power system, but as for blowing up but afaik that was an early issue and more rece t benches still show good gains from OCs. I don't know about water. Perhaps the 6990 is better there. I've never seen a 590 under water in review or anywhere else

Soldato
e5957344fc47fa2e8a67331f7c90b1ef.jpg

It's probably in reference to the fact that they have held the crown since the 5 series for high resolution gaming, which in turn equates into the fastest gpu where no single Nvidia card could compete.

Whether or not it had the grunt for most games is questionable, but the card could technically achieve it.

Associate
e5957344fc47fa2e8a67331f7c90b1ef.jpg

It's probably in reference to the fact that they have held the crown since the 5 series for high resolution gaming, which in turn equates into the fastest gpu where no single Nvidia card could compete.

Whether or not it had the grunt for most games is questionable, but the card could technically achieve it.

You do realise there are NVIDIA cards with twice the VRAM for high resolutions? Anyway, as stated before if they had said "fastest Graphics Card" there might have been some argument there. But to say fastest GPU is an outright lie.

Soldato
Yes I do realise that, but can 1 of those cards output@5760x2160 ?

Has there been any single Nvidia card run 6 screens that has been able to best even the 6970/6990?

The only one I saw was a custom made 570 with extra display ports, but that was only made a couple of months ago.

I'm not arguing the fact that the 580 hasn't held the crown in real world scenarios until very recently, just stating what I think is the reasoning behind AMD's claims.

Last edited:
Associate
That is a terrible lie and should be removed asap as it is false advertising!
Asus for example produced a proper version of the 590 nvidia graphics card last year which beat all others including ati's amazing 6990 so for ati to state on there homepage that they are the home of the worlds fastest card for the last couple of years is a big mistake.

Here's the proof if you doubt me btw...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/Mars_II/

This card^^ smashes your poor little 5970 and 6990 and spits on its grave!! all hail the true "590" !!!

Associate
Yes I do realise that, but can 1 of those cards output@5760x2160 ?

Has there been any single Nvidia card run 6 screens that has been able to best even the 6970/6990?

The only one I saw was a custom made 570 with extra display ports, but that was only made a couple of months ago.

I'm not arguing the fact that the 580 hasn't held the crown in real world scenarios until very recently, just stating what I think is the reasoning behind AMD's claims.

There is no reasoning behind AMD's claims. When the morning came I bet they started to realize it themselves, no matter how much sense it may have made the previous night in their drug-addled state. Having 6 output ports does not make a fast GPU. And moreover, since when has fastest GPU benches been determined on some extreme condition like whether it's running games on 6 monitors? You're using oranges in your argument to make a case for apples. Most gamers play on 1050p-1200p, and some play on 1600p. The percentage playing on 3 monitors (leave alone 6!) is infinitesimally small.

Furthermore, any single AMD card that can run 6 monitors will only give crap performance on them anyway. You need at least 2-3 cards to play anything on 6 monitors.

A GTX 580 3GB will beat any single-GPU card that AMD has (until the 7970). The GTX 580 remained, defacto, the fastest GPU since it was released, and to make any claim otherwise -- particularly, over a span of 785 days and counting -- is not just disingenuous, it is downright dishonest...

... Notwithstanding any apologetics you may wish to write on their behalf.
The facts are these: AMD - Home of the world's fastest GPU - 3 days and counting...

Last edited:
Soldato
Not being apologetic on Amd's behalf at all mate, just stating the possible reasoning behind their claim.

It's not oranges I'm using in my reasoning, it's facts, regardless whether anyone uses it or not.

It's very, very misleading advertising from AMD, but technically their claim will probably be valid due to the eyefinity resolutions.

I also stated above:

The 580 had been the king of gpu's since it arrived, you won't see any argument from me there.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what anybody here says about the claim, it's not going to sucker us, it's the masses that it will impress.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's very, very misleading advertising from AMD, but technically their claim will probably be valid due to the eyefinity resolutions.
Still doesn't make sense though...would you call a car that can carry 7 people faster than a car that can carry only 2 people, just because of it can carry 7 people and the other car can't?

Back
Top Bottom