New Samsung S23A700D 120Hz

Soldato
I swear being a PC gamer is like a disease. I literally could not sleep knowing that this bargain was passing me buy. I really can't afford it right now but had to buy it haha, just clicked the purchase button xD hopefully I get a good one with no dead pixels.

Right, I can now sleep as I have work in 5 hours LOL.

Associate
I swear being a PC gamer is like a disease. I literally could not sleep knowing that this bargain was passing me buy. I really can't afford it right now but had to buy it haha, just clicked the purchase button xD hopefully I get a good one with no dead pixels.

Right, I can now sleep as I have work in 5 hours LOL.

Ha ha I had to check the username to make sure myself conscience wasn't speaking to me. I feel the exact same. I stopped my Custom PC mag sub few years back but every time a friend asks for help with an upgrade I end up getting itchy hands and start reading and reading and reading and trying to convince myself it's not much money.

I too didn't want to miss out n ended up buying. Then as I see some reviews start noticing some of the negatives. I really hope I too am not disappointed as I did really think my 226BW was a good screen at 1680x1050. Just hope for no dead pixels and a smiling face :0)

Here's fingers crossed for us both. Let me know how ya find it. Mine arrives weds but other half is here so won't have a good look at it until prob Sunday.
Well up in.......jeeez 4 n half hours (n prob a few snoozes).
Peace out folk n be back with ya later :0)

Associate
Just a FYI, you can get frame sequential working with nvidia 3d vision but it is not excally simple to setup, especially if you're like me and own a 680 therefore are limited to the latest drivers.

S9V29.png

(It says Alienware because I've modified the edid of the monitor to make it show up as a 3d vision ready monitor)

If anyone is interested in how to do this just say and I'll put up some kind of guide.

Soldato
@manju, excuse my ignorance on the matter, but is frame sequential better?

I found this here if it helps:

'OK, I uninstalled the 11.8 drivers with the ATI uninstaller and installed 11.5b. Frame Sequential worked fine with the DVI cable and so did 3D Blu-Ray playback with PowerDVD 10. I then installed 11.8 again without uninstalling 11.5 and things still worked, so that is the trick.

The only difference is that when using HDMI I didn't need to manually set the monitor to 3d mode but with DVI I do have to. I can set it before launching a game but then when the game starts I have to set it again as it seems to reset to "No 3D" - anyway all is right again.'

http://www.tridef.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1234&start=20

@Tomdarkness, you better get that guide ready, your going to be a hero in here!

Associate
Frame Sequential is apparently better.

To set it:
Install Samsung Syncmaster
Install Tridef 5.2
Open Tridef Control Panel under-All programs-Tridef3D-Utilities
Select- Manufacturer:AMD
Model: AMD HD3D Technology

Then launch games using the Tridef launcher/portal

That was the only way I got my games to start in Frame sequential.

I'd attach an image of it but not sure if I can?

FYI
I think some games profiles may still start in SBS. And some work better in SBS like Crysis 2

Also when launching games through Steam or Origin make sure you close them each time before you start a game so Tridef has to open them again or you may get an error

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Permabanned
Just a FYI, you can get frame sequential working with nvidia 3d vision but it is not excally simple to setup, especially if you're like me and own a 680 therefore are limited to the latest drivers.

S9V29.png

(It says Alienware because I've modified the edid of the monitor to make it show up as a 3d vision ready monitor)

If anyone is interested in how to do this just say and I'll put up some kind of guide.

A guide would be great as it would help those with NVidia cards.

Also can I ask what graphics card people are using who have gotten frame sequential? It appeared to me that it may not be supported by my 4870x2.

Yes FS is better tommyboy fior active shutter tech
http://www.best-3dtvs.com/what-is-frame-sequential-3d/

Side-by-side 3D squashes the left eye and right eye image in to one 2D frame. This halves the horizontal resolution of the image, but can still produce good results without requiring more data or HDMI 1.4 hardware in the device chain.

Frame sequential 3D displays both the left eye image and the right eye image at full resolution (I'm sure I read once that in the actual encode one is stacked on top of the other). When output it flickers between the left eye frame and the right eye frame. When this is done with a 1080p video stream it is often referred to as Full HD 3D.

edit - yup, fs is only supported by 5000 series cards or higher. I wonder if that was why I couldn't get the scaling option in catalyst too. Anyway I'm not bothered as my 7850 should be here this week and I can test it out then. Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
A guide would be great as it would help those with NVidia cards.

Also can I ask what graphics card people are using who have gotten frame sequential? It appeared to me that it may not be supported by my 4870x2.

Yes FS is better tommyboy.

I have a 7950 I'm not sure about your card's sorry.

Heres a link to the Tridef AMDHD3D forums:

http://www.tridef.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19

Here's a link to the forums concerning this monitor:

http://www.tridef.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

And here's a link to Game profiles and Performance forums:

http://www.tridef.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

Hope people can find some answers on there but it is difficult as most either don't get answered or need updating.

Associate
Ha ha I had to check the username to make sure myself conscience wasn't speaking to me. I feel the exact same. I stopped my Custom PC mag sub few years back but every time a friend asks for help with an upgrade I end up getting itchy hands and start reading and reading and reading and trying to convince myself it's not much money.

I too didn't want to miss out n ended up buying. Then as I see some reviews start noticing some of the negatives. I really hope I too am not disappointed as I did really think my 226BW was a good screen at 1680x1050. Just hope for no dead pixels and a smiling face :0)

Here's fingers crossed for us both. Let me know how ya find it. Mine arrives weds but other half is here so won't have a good look at it until prob Sunday.
Well up in.......jeeez 4 n half hours (n prob a few snoozes).
Peace out folk n be back with ya later :0)

Hope you enjoy it, and I know mines been a nice upgrade.

Just on the TriDef Software. I installed everything as per the guide here; i.e. Samsung software first (from download link) then the 5.2 TriDef software - and only a few of my games actually showed up in TriDef Ignition, i.e. not L4D, Witcher, TF2 etc. I could add these manually so wasn't that bad. However SS:HD, SWTOR, Crysis, Magicka, or Witcher just wouldn't work.

Tonight I uninstalled everything and just installed the 5.2 TriDef Software only and first of all all games show up in in ignition. Not only that but SS:HD, SWTOR, Magicka now work (haven't got around to the Witcher).

I know from the TriDef forums that the Samsung OEM software hasn't been updated for a while and a few others have had issues with SWTOR not working. Just wondered if anyone else had this? I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit btw (i920, ATI 6950 2GB, 8GB RAM).

Only route left to try is Install Samsung OEM Software (from disc, rather than download) then install TriDef 5.2 on top.

Soldato
Right i have Finaly got this monitor fully working with my GTX 570 SLI setup.

I have it working with the newest nvidia driver 301.watever.

Nvidia 3D vision is working perfectly and is incredable.

I also found out from Samsung customer service which glasses work with this monitor and they are

SSG-3100GB
SSG-3300GR
SSG-3700CR

if u want proof its on my twitter @danpassey

Also guide to get nvidia 3D working

Steps taken

1. Download and install the 3d vision emulator

http://hotfile.com/d...ulator.zip.html

2. run the DSF-KitSetup.msi file

3. Run the init_x64.bat file (running win 7 64 bit)

4. run the enablestereo.bat file, but the console window just immediately closes?

make sure u run all .bat files from command prompt

let windows install the new usb device - THIS IS WHERE IT GETS STUCK

5. go to nvidea 3dvision set up and install the 3dvision usb emitter option

6. go through all the menus

Now you need to make the following changes

(if you've already attempted to install, go into device manager find the device its trying to install and remove it - might be called generic hid or along those lines)

Before you do anything you need to disable Windows from fetching drivers from windows update else it will download drivers you don't want and won't work (System > Advanced System Settings > Hardware > Device Installation Settings > Never install driver software from Windows Update)
Next thing you need to do is alter the init_x64.bat and remove the /i /s option from the regsvr32 then when you run it this time you should get a message confirming it was successfully installed.

After running enable_stereo.bat you'll need to download nvidia drivers version 285.62 and extract the files but don't install anything. Go into device manager and find NVIDIA steroscopic 3d usb controller, right click and update driver software > browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer > Have Disk... > Browse to "C:\nvidia\DisplayDriver\285.62\WinVista_Win7_64\English\NV3DVisionUSB.Driver" (alter as appropiate if you selected to extract the driver files somewhere else). Let it install those drivers which it should do successfully.

You need to install custom drivers so your pc thinks your monitor is 1 that works with nvidia 3D. I used the alienware 120hZ driver

you'll want to use a different .inf from another monitor as the .inf in that link does not support 120hz 1080p. The one I used is the Alienware AW2310 Active 120hz monitor one from here:http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2025&start=10.
Then you should be able to run the nvidia 3d vision setup wizard fine. However, one thing I had to do was swap the l/r image on the monitor (you can do this via the osd on the monitor in the 3d options) as you'll find if you don't change it when it asks you to test the left/right images on the setup wizard they'll be the wrong way around.

Associate
I also found out from Samsung customer service which glasses work with this monitor and they are

SSG-3100GB
SSG-3300GR
SSG-3700CR

none of the above,the correct model is SSG-M3150GB.

if you have any of the above 3 glasses you will find yourself sitting with your head tilted 45 degrees to view 3D properly. don't believe what CS people say,most if not all are technically clueless. :)

Associate
Ahem, if you're going to copy my instructions at least give credit :p

http://www.overclock.net/t/1242216/3d-vision-emulator#post_16994113

Right i have Finaly got this monitor fully working with my GTX 570 SLI setup.

I have it working with the newest nvidia driver 301.watever.

Nvidia 3D vision is working perfectly and is incredable.

SSG-3100GB
SSG-3300GR
SSG-3700CR

if u want proof its on my twitter @danpassey

Also guide to get nvidia 3D working

Steps taken

1. Download and install the 3d vision emulator

http://hotfile.com/d...ulator.zip.html

2. run the DSF-KitSetup.msi file

3. Run the init_x64.bat file (running win 7 64 bit)

4. run the enablestereo.bat file, but the console window just immediately closes?

make sure u run all .bat files from command prompt

let windows install the new usb device - THIS IS WHERE IT GETS STUCK

5. go to nvidea 3dvision set up and install the 3dvision usb emitter option

6. go through all the menus

Now you need to make the following changes

(if you've already attempted to install, go into device manager find the device its trying to install and remove it - might be called generic hid or along those lines)

Before you do anything you need to disable Windows from fetching drivers from windows update else it will download drivers you don't want and won't work (System > Advanced System Settings > Hardware > Device Installation Settings > Never install driver software from Windows Update)
Next thing you need to do is alter the init_x64.bat and remove the /i /s option from the regsvr32 then when you run it this time you should get a message confirming it was successfully installed.

After running enable_stereo.bat you'll need to download nvidia drivers version 285.62 and extract the files but don't install anything. Go into device manager and find NVIDIA steroscopic 3d usb controller, right click and update driver software > browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer > Have Disk... > Browse to "C:\nvidia\DisplayDriver\285.62\WinVista_Win7_64\English\NV3DVisionUSB.Driver" (alter as appropiate if you selected to extract the driver files somewhere else). Let it install those drivers which it should do successfully.

You need to install custom drivers so your pc thinks your monitor is 1 that works with nvidia 3D. I used the alienware 120hZ driver

you'll want to use a different .inf from another monitor as the .inf in that link does not support 120hz 1080p. The one I used is the Alienware AW2310 Active 120hz monitor one from here:http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2025&start=10.
Then you should be able to run the nvidia 3d vision setup wizard fine. However, one thing I had to do was swap the l/r image on the monitor (you can do this via the osd on the monitor in the 3d options) as you'll find if you don't change it when it asks you to test the left/right images on the setup wizard they'll be the wrong way around.

Associate
Just to confirm, is frame sequential mode the mode the monitor is on when it says "3D is on" or something like when starting a game through tridef.

(my monitor is being picked up as amd hd3d - and always has been afaik)

Associate
well ****! I thought the prices of the duel and tripple would go back to 330 and 500, but its now more like 240 473 and 700!

had been sat waiting for 10% code cos I thought the prices would just go up a lil bit :'(

OcUK Staff
well ****! I thought the prices of the duel and tripple would go back to 330 and 500, but its now more like 240 473 and 700!

had been sat waiting for 10% code cos I thought the prices would just go up a lil bit :'(

Hi there

I've reset the bundles so discounts are huge again, so those buying 2 or 3, nice savings to be had. :)

Associate
god sake went to purchase one last night but got called out in work, i've been unable to use a PC all morning and the stupid price has gone back up. Is there no way of me getting it at the cheaper price gibbo :(

Back
Top Bottom