• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte GTX 780 performance revealed.

Soldato
20-25% quicker than top tier (Titan excluding) cards and roughly 30-35% more expensive, sounds about right.

That's not offensively priced and priced somewhat decent if you were to compare to the Titan lol, decent upgrade for someone coming from a 680 etc. All guesswork till tomorrow though.

It is not 30-35% more expensive, it is ~50% more expensive than a 7970GE or GTX680. I wouldn't call that price with a 20-25% performance increase a decent upgrade.

GTX680 or HD7970GE £360
GTX780 £520 (conservative guess)

£170 = roughly half of £360.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just looked in the crystal ball. It appears that current 700 stock will sell out within a week, pushing up prices for the short term before settling back down again. With AMD having nothing to counter in the near future, prices will hold up well. The outgoing 600 series will match any AMD price reductions until stock runs dry.

Associate
Bah thats disappointing.

Skipped going the GTX680 after the GTX580 as didnt think the performance increase was worth while upgrading to.

So like others, wait a whole extra year for nvidia to simply say "Eureka! lets change the name from "GTX680" to "GTX770" & charge the same amount". Brilliant! Think thats pretty dam poor by nvidia IMO. Usually what happens is we get the new card called the gtx*80 with an improvement of a further 15-20% at the same price as the card the year before. Its called technology progressing.

The new GTX780 is using the Titan now to justify a whole new price range. I do hope for a backlash from the public. Like fashion labels, im up for paying more, i prefer nvidia to AMD (my own issues over the years, I find nvidia cards simply work better), but there a limit before you have to say "hang on! you're taking the ****".

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Think many people would have cracked 6 months ago & bought something already if we knew this was what we were going to get.

Rant over! Ill likely get drunk this weekend & click the "Buy" button anyway but only because at the time ill be like "its only money" :)

Last edited:
Soldato
770 is 680 price level ;)

Bear in mind were selling 680's now close to £350 as 770 will eventually replace that model.

Seems rather than give customers price drop on the year old GTX 680, they just slapped a new sticker on it and keep charging the same price.

That's a bit to greedy imho..

Edit just seen,

The outgoing 600 series will match any AMD price reductions until stock runs dry.

So Nvidia are going to have price drops on 6XX series cards? Not all bad then.. Everyone needs to look out for bargains over the next few weeks...

OcUK Staff
Whats going on with there vantage results. our own thread here shows the 7970 to have the advantage over the gtx680. I take it the nvidia cards were using physx?

Nope I had the world record with GTX680 over my 7970 and all the other clockers cards some running at 1800mhz. Nvidia has the edge on Vantage.

I am up for these 780's now the MSI Lightening will be the dogs for benching. I think they are gonna do well on LN2 like Titan does and not a massive perf drop which could easily be made up by an 1800-1900mhz card.

Soldato
Nope I had the world record with GTX680 over my 7970 and all the other clockers cards some running at 1800mhz. Nvidia has the edge on Vantage.

I am up for these 780's now the MSI Lightening will be the dogs for benching. I think they are gonna do well on LN2 like Titan does and not a massive perf drop which could easily be made up by an 1800-1900mhz card.

Maybe on extreme cooling, our list of cards on water and air show the 7970 to have the advantage except for your extreme result. That's with no physx though. The 3dmark hall of fame shows the same as well.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18459197&highlight=3dmark+vantage

http://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-...+score+performance+preset/version+1.1.2/1+gpu

Last edited:
Associate
If/when they drop down to below £500, even £499 I will consider one of these bad boys. I just have a feeling I might be waiting a while. My 7970 isn't exactly holding me back but the itch is getting worse...and I would like a new graphics card too. :D

Back
Top Bottom