• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**** CRAZIEST PRE-ORDER SPECIAL EVER! MSI GTX 670 POWER EDITION ONLY £199.99 Inc. VAT!!!! *****

Soldato
Btw mate, i see you have the gigabyte Z87 oc board, ive got a 4770k coming this week. Looks like a nice board, kinda stuck between it and the asus maximus VI hero. Id appreciate your findings/opinions. Sorry to take the thread of topic.

I've just replaced a faulty Maximus Gene with the OC. Not had enough time with it, but it seems to be about the best ATX board under £200.

Ah sorry i didnt know that aa was better there is couple to pick from and i just left that as it was. What is the difference between them? And i guess you learn thing new every day . well i guess i will try it with aa on :) see what happens

FXAA is just a filter applied, so it's easy on the GPU - but most people find it looks worse than regular AA (MSAA, SSAA, etc.) High AA settings at high resolutions will kill even the best GPU framerates.

Getting back to your question though, 2x670s is probably a bit excessive for 1080p gaming since, as you've found, you can lower AA settings etc. to get good framerates on one card in the most demanding games. If you really want a 144Hz display then some games would benefit from two, but it's a lot of money for one screen at that resolution.

Last edited:
Associate
I use to have a Q6600 running at 3.60GHz, and even at that speed, my 5850 (around twice the speed of the GTS250) was frequently getting bottlenecked, in many games with GPU usage dipping down to only 60-80% range, and frame rate dropping to 20-25fps. After upgrading to my i5 2500K (and overclocked), the GPU usage hardly ever dip below 99% anymore, except for Guild Wars 2 (which is insanely CPU intensive is some parts i.e. 40 people fighting dragon plus its minions).

Between your overclocked Q6600 and the GTS250, your GTS250 is indeed the weaker link so it should be upgraded first...with that said, I think you should just pick up a 2nd hand 5850/5870/GTX470...or 7850 2GB at sub £100. I don't see much reason for you to spend over £100 extra for a card that do 50-80+fps in most games, only to pair it with a CPU/platform that can only deliver 20-45fps on average, meaning a GTX670 with you system would barely be delivering better frame rate than a 5870/GTX470. Unless you are planning on upgrading the rest of your system shortly after, I wouldn't recommend getting the GTX670.

ordered one anyway :p

if worst comes to worst the 670 will still be a decent card if i move it into a new pc in say 1-2 years time or?

Soldato
Wow, 670 still sells for £200? Looks like the EVGA 670 ive had some time has held its value quite well. Almost tempted to sell it seems as I haven't played anything since Crysis 3 was released :(

Awaiting any good new games. Answers on a postage stamp

OcUK Staff
OP
but gibbo said he took it all :confused:

:rolleyes:

I did, from MSI.
Does not mean to say however that such competitor did not have stock already or found stock at a local distributor and requested MSI give them a deal.

Fact is OcUK were the ones who went searching for such a deal and actually made it happen so that we could bring such a deal to customers.

I actively go looking for deals or giving manufacturers ideas. Were proactive! Whereas our competitors would rather wait until they are offered a deal or basically follow the deals we do. We try to lead from the front and be first, creating great deals.

Stock should be here today. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

MSI Stock just landed - I shall honour this pre-order price until 12 today!

All orders will ship today!

GET YOUR WALLETS OUT!! :D

Back
Top Bottom