• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** AMD R290X BF4 EDITION - WE ARE NOW TAKING PRE-ORDERS / DEPOSITS!! **

Soldato
From our testing:-

SK Hynix does 5800-6200MHz with stock voltage
Elpida does 5400 - 5700Mhz with stock voltage

SK Hynix is better clocking memory. :)
So at 6200MHz on 512-bit, memory bandwidth= 396.8GB/s
At 5700MHz on 512-bit, memory bandwidth= 364.8GB/s

Shame about not able to break the 400GB/s :D

not likely to be bandwidth bound with any brand of ram.
Not if playing Metro or using SuperSampling etc. Would still take lesser performance hit with the higher bandwidth.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So at 6200MHz on 512-bit, memory bandwidth= 396.8GB/s
At 5700MHz on 512-bit, memory bandwidth= 364.8GB/s

Shame about not able to break the 400GB/s :D

Not if playing Metro or using SuperSampling etc. Would still take lesser performance hit with the higher bandwidth.

6200 is only 1550mhz. I'd expect it will be possible to get more from it. Nonetheless thats very close to 400gb of bandwidth.

OcUK Staff
OP
Thanks for dedication Gibbo just One more question if you can answer.
Do any of cards you took apart had any crappy stickers on screws?? Just asking for Water cooling purposes/warranty heh

Asus has a warranty sticker over a screw.

Sapphire and Gigabyte does not.

HIS and MSI I shall check later/tomorrow, waiting on delivery still.

OcUK Staff
OP
6200 is only 1550mhz. I'd expect it will be possible to get more from it. Nonetheless thats very close to 400gb of bandwidth.

I can only coax the cards into giving a little more voltage by setting power limit to +50 and setting low GPU temperature card.

Keep the card cool, use +50 power and the card adds a little more voltage automatically. Once you've coaxed it 6000MHz is stable, but not until the card has warmed up and started increasing it voltages within the set tolerances.

Elpida 5700Mhz is the limit, maybe 5800 if your lucky, Hynix is better for sure by 200-400MHz.

These cards are crying out for custom/voltage control, I hope software comes out, otherwise we shall have to wait for customPCB designs from AIB's before we get voltage control. I hope software comes out as I feel the card has way more OC potential with a few extra volts, even on stock cooler, put it under water and these things will absolutely fly.

Caporegime
I can only coax the cards into giving a little more voltage by setting power limit to +50 and setting low GPU temperature card.

Keep the card cool, use +50 power and the card adds a little more voltage automatically. Once you've coaxed it 6000MHz is stable, but not until the card has warmed up and started increasing it voltages within the set tolerances.

Elpida 5700Mhz is the limit, maybe 5800 if your lucky, Hynix is better for sure by 200-400MHz.

These cards are crying out for custom/voltage control, I hope software comes out, otherwise we shall have to wait for customPCB designs from AIB's before we get voltage control. I hope software comes out as I feel the card has way more OC potential with a few extra volts, even on stock cooler, put it under water and these things will absolutely fly.

I expect full voltage control will be available when Unwinder updates afterburner for the 290X. Should be very soon id imagine as MSI will want it working on release day.

The problem is the 290X has a different voltage regulator from the 7970 so until the software is updated it shall remain locked, or semi locked, i think.

Associate
i think he means adding the waterblock, don't you have a deal with them where we can put blocks on and still have warranty if we bought it from you?

Soldato
On the 7970 it had the warranty sticker on the screws. I was told by a member of staff on these forums (might have been you) that you have a a deal with MSI. If the user purchased the card from ocuk they would honor the warranty even if the cooler was replaced.

Soldato
Found the post gibbo

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=23844594&postcount=594

it's simples really

Buy MSI VGA from OcUK
carefully remove cooler
carefully fit aftermarket cooling
enjoy
if, god forbid, the card becomes faulty
carefully remove aftermarket cooling
carefully refit original cooling with suitable TIM
return to OcUK for RMA
wait for OcUK to send you your replacement

If you don't buy the MSI card from OcUK then you aren't officially covered

the sticker is for everyone who isn't buying MSI from OcUK.

Soldato
interesting results, maybe hynix have a stronger solution for these particular sizes of vram chip as they are larger than the ones in the 7970.

the high water mark for my vram on my early batch XFX 7970 cards is around 1850MHZ with no overvolt.

on the xfx 7970 card that was 3 months older than my 'uber' cards, I believe XFX changed to the cheaper ram chips and cheaper pcb and I get a maximum of 1500mhz out of that card on the vram.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Thanks Gibbo Sapphire it is for me then :) Would go for Asus but stickers put me off :p
My water cooled 6950 with 6970 mod was sapphire still working good in my mates rig. Good 3.5 year old card :)

Back
Top Bottom