** AMD R290X NOW AVAILABLE & OVERCLOCKING REVIEW!! **

Soldato
Gibbo, what happens to all the cards you've unboxed/removed coolers and benched etc?
Do they end up as future B-grade or marked for extra staff discount or something?

I simply must know...

Associate
Should have released these with none stock coolers, from what I can see there is no difference between each brand, same cooler, clocks and package, what gives?

I really want to get one but not going to touch it with stock cooler and I don't have time to wait a week let alone months?? Is there any speculative dates on when none stock will be released?

Soldato
they go back in the box get taped up and you buy them :p

Y'know, there have been a few posts here from people that have received what appear to be used cards now that you mention it.

Of course, I wouldn't suggest anything of the sort.

Should have released these with none stock coolers, from what I can see there is no difference between each brand, same cooler, clocks and package, what gives?

Some have different brand memory chips (OC potential between the two brands) and of course, there's the varying RMA situations with each manufacturer. Other than that...

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Gibbo, or anyone available/interested - would love to see some distributed computing benchmarks, how about running a 290 on F@H for a little while to get some numbers for us?
Looks like they might have potential.

2ajwdgy.png

r0nhuh.png

zwmjb6.png

Odd thing is, it seems to do very well in all the other compute tests...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7457/the-radeon-r9-290x-review/18

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
**UPDATE**

Hynix and Elpida are both just as good as each other.

I took my Elpida card which could only do 5700MHz, flashed the Asus BIOS to it, pumped up the voltage and now the Elpida card is matching with 6600MHz. :)

So there you go, Elpida, Hynix, it don't matter. What matters is voltage control. ;)

Asus BIOS FTW. :D

By the way this is an R290 I've flashed with R290X BIOS, works a tread, but shaders not unlocked, but can now hit 1220 core and 6600 RAM on the regular R290 as well. At these speeds this also obliverates Titan. Incredible value!

Soldato
**UPDATE**

I took my Elpida card which could only do 5700MHz, flashed the Asus BIOS to it, pumped up the voltage and now the Elpida card is matching with 6600MHz. :)

So there you go, Elpida, Hynix, it don't matter. What matters is voltage control. ;)

By the way this is an R290 I've flashed with R290X BIOS, works a tread, but shaders not unlocked, but can now hit 1220 core and 6600 RAM on the regular R290 as well. At these speeds this also obliverates Titan. Incredible value!

That's really good news!

Do you know the ETA of the non-BF4 cards? I'm confused by these, as I thought these would be up too?

Soldato
**UPDATE**

Would this work for the 7970's too?

Soldato
**UPDATE**

Great work. Flashed R9 290 with voltage control is extremely interesting.

OcUK Staff
OP
I can see them, just didn't see an ETA on them :)

Cheers!

edit: Also, any word on MSI RAM type?

We won't bother checking now, as it seems both RAM types are equal, the overclock is down to voltage.

Simply buy any card, flash the Asus BIOS to it and overclock. :)

Lets remember all this knowledge was provided to you by OcUK, no review site, not a competitor, OcUK!! We go the extra mile and don't just shift the boxes, we give you everything! :)

Back
Top Bottom