• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Associate
Got mine but is anyone else getting an issue where the card is being picked up as a Standard VGA adapter and AMD drivers is refusing to pick up that it is a R9 290x? Possible DOA?

the drivers currently on amd's site dont support the 290x so it looks like we need to use the install dvd drivers until amd release the newer ones which should be today.

Associate
I saw that so I downloaded the ones from Sapphires website as I dont have a functioning disk drive atm and it still refuses to work.....
the drivers currently on amd's site dont support the 290x so it looks like we need to use the install dvd drivers until amd release the newer ones which should be today.

Associate
hmmm well only thing i can think of without sounding condescending is to remove all old drivers check the card is seated correctly and the power cables attached and reinstall the drivers again that you got from sapphire. Be really unfortunate to get a DOA but stranger things have happened

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
I suspect you're right.

I have one on order for £388 but I have my doubts about whether they'll honour the sale. I'm tempted to cancel it anyway and wait it out for the AIB, boards, because all the components I've used so far have been designed for low-noise.

I doubt they will get stock for a very long time, some etailors try this with new launches who have no stock allocated to them. Customers are left waiting for very long periods or nothing shows.

I hope I am wrong, but seen it many times.

Soldato
I doubt they will get stock for a very long time, some etailors try this with new launches who have no stock allocated to them. Customers are left waiting for very long periods or nothing shows.

I hope I am wrong, but seen it many times.

It's a non-BF4 edition too which you guys don't even have in stock. And let's be honest, if you don't have them, nobody has them.

I ordered purely on a whim. What I really want are 2 x 290s with 2-slot custom coolers. Then I will be happy :)

Associate
Got mine but is anyone else getting an issue where the card is being picked up as a Standard VGA adapter and AMD drivers is refusing to pick up that it is a R9 290x? Possible DOA?

I had the same problem at first, the old drivers i had don't know about the card or its config so uninstalled them then installed the ones form the CD until the new ones come out tomorrow. But the CD drivers work they seem a little off but they work. I sometimes get 100% load on the card at random times but its looking OK.

Give it a go.

Soldato
Have a go on 3dmark11 and firestrike, these should run a lot better.:)

Scores below at stock 1000/1250, not going to push it too much now until I get my waterblock for it.

How do these look, I've not used these before so dont have any point of reference as to how it compares.

3DMark11

51ni.jpg

Firestrike (and others)

zxs8.jpg

Associate
71ms.jpg

got mine this morning, had to use the drivers from the cd. haven't really tested it in games yet, busy day. the uid for bf4 does not work on the website.

Back
Top Bottom