• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Soldato
Well this proves i got worst clocking 290x around here like.
Even with max volts in gpu tweak i get artefacts at 1200mhz even tho my ASIC quality is 79%

On other hand Elpida memory is ok i had them stable up to 6500 but THERE IS NO POINT pass 1500 it just does not give any extra performance..

ATM i am on 1.4 1170/1500 thats maximum stable clock without artefacts with gpu temperature up to 52c

Other thing i noticed is that voltage is all over the place... I wish i could force lock it at 1.3 cause most of the time gpuz says i am at 1.250.
Well waiting for TRIXX or some other custom bios.

Why not give the asus pt3 bios a go as that stops the voltage dropping unlike the stock asus bios.

Associate
I can't put my R9 290X over 1175 core clock or I get artefacts/crashes in BF4/Dota 2. I only used MSI Afterburner and maxed out voltage. Did I get unlucky? Would a custom BIOS get me higher overclocks?

Associate
Well this proves i got worst clocking 290x around here like.
Even with max volts in gpu tweak i get artefacts at 1200mhz even tho my ASIC quality is 79%

On other hand Elpida memory is ok i had them stable up to 6500 but THERE IS NO POINT pass 1500 it just does not give any extra performance..

ATM i am on 1.4 1170/1500 thats maximum stable clock without artefacts with gpu temperature up to 52c

Other thing i noticed is that voltage is all over the place... I wish i could force lock it at 1.3 cause most of the time gpuz says i am at 1.250.
Well waiting for TRIXX or some other custom bios.

Mine clocks very well. 3D mark11 gfx score of over 19k and i only have ASIC quality score of 72.6%

Associate
Evening all

First post for me, however I have lurked for a while.

Just been reading this great thread for a while and trying to decide whether to splurge on a 290x or save further for 780ti.

Obviously decided on the 290x :)

I've been a loyal nvidia fan for a long while now but have been a little underwhelmed with my 670 4gb ex oc and haven't owned a red card since my x800xt when I used to work at gladiator, nearly 10 years ago I'm sure.

Anyway, Something about this card screamed "Buy Me" so it was a win for the reds this time.

After installing it something screamed at me again, it was my wife, she was screaming to get me to hear her over the 6000,73db cooler!

I was torn between water and a gelid icy but after reading about peoples mixed result with aftermarket air and vrm temps I went water, my vrm2 was already hitting 82 deg at stock in firestrike. core was holding 1000 for most of the run but started to throttle towards the end by 5% ish.

Off to OCUK today for EK waterblock and some new fans for my rad as one was about to suffer extreme bearing failure and sounded like a sewing machine.

A few hours later and I have just started a few benches and things look good, loop hasn't got up to temp yet so I will report back when it has but first three runs of firestrike at stock only hit 37 on core and 22/28 vrm 1/2, im sure this will get higher as the loop warms up. cpu is a 2700k at 5.00 and its on a single loop just cpu and gpu with 480mm of rads, hoping thats enough but we willknow for sure soon.

Thanks for all the advice and stuff I've gleaned from you guys over the last few days.

20131128_215710.jpg

ok clocks at 1100 core 5000 vram, this was the best yet and only hit 41c on core, happy so far, cpu also not much hotter now the 290 is in loop, tops out at 62 in prime

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1224866

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP

Just been reading this great thread for a while and trying to decide whether to splurge on a 290x or save further for 780ti.

I've been a loyal nvidia fan for a long while now but have been a little underwhelmed with my 670 4gb ex oc and haven't owned a red card since my x800xt when I used to work at gladiator, nearly 10 years ago I'm sure.

Anyway, Something about this card screamed "Buy Me" so it was a win for the reds this time.

After installing it something screamed at me again, it was my wife, she was screaming to get me to hear her over the 6000,73db cooler!

I was torn between water and a gelid icy but after reading about peoples mixed result with aftermarket air and vrm temps I went water, my vrm2 was already hitting 82 deg at stock in firestrike. core was holding 1000 for most of the run but started to throttle towards the end by 5% ish.

Off to OCUK today for EK waterblock and some new fans for my rad as one was about to suffer extreme bearing failure and sounded like a sewing machine.

A few hours later and I have just started a few benches and things look good, loop hasn't got up to temp yet so I will report back when it has but first three runs of firestrike at stock only hit 37 on core and 22/28 vrm 1/2, im sure this will get higher as the loop warms up. cpu is a 2700k at 5.00 and its on a single loop just cpu and gpu with 480mm of rads, hoping thats enough but we willknow for sure soon.

Thanks for all the advice and stuff I've gleaned from you guys over the last few days.

20131128_215710.jpg

ok clocks at 1100 core 5000 vram, this was the best yet and only hit 41c on core, happy so far, cpu also not much hotter now the 290 is in loop, tops out at 62 in prime

Which make was your card ?

Soldato
Just ran MemoryInfo 1005 and found my 290x got Elpdia :(

I wonder if people that are suffering black screen when overclocking their memory clock is because they got Elpdia instead of Hynix...

Permabanned
Orangey heard about that buy you should see how my voltage is all over the place... When it hoes below 1.2v i get artefacts for second even tho i got 1.4 set. All i want to try is constant voltage around 1.280 like my 7950 was for 18 months with no problems.
I know it will draw more power. But who cares about that. Not like i will have this card longer than 2 years.

asus pt3 afaik does not have 2D clocks thats why i dont have it.

Associate

20131128_215710.jpg

Is it ok to fit the inlet/outlet on the same side of the gpu. I see lots of photos of them like this where one is top and other is bottom but i want to have them both on the top. I assume thats ok?

Associate
Is it ok to fit the inlet/outlet on the same side of the gpu. I see lots of photos of them like this where one is top and other is bottom but i want to have them both on the top. I assume thats ok?

Yes it's fine to have both inlet and outlet on one side. It's how I used to have mine setup.

ekb0he3l.jpg.png

Associate
Anyone else have bad coil whine, mines not as bad as in the videos on youtube but its annoying, I was hoping the backplate might soak up some of it but it hasnt

Soldato
ok ocd my vtx 290 unlocked to a 290x (thanks ocuk)

I have set the following anjd would like some advice please.

core voltage - +81
power limit +50
core clock - 1150
memory clock - 1450

now i think the stock cooler is noisey and dont want to increase the fan speed beyond 60%, but my max temps hit 93 while running 3d mark.

what would peeps say is a safe temp as it seems a bit high to me, and can i decrease the voltage or something rather than sacrifice the core speeds?

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1749465

Back
Top Bottom