• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Soldato
Yes! I believe this is one of the possible reasons for the black screen bug. Set a manual fan profile in CCC or afterburner.

I've reported that bug to Thracks & AMD so they're aware of it. Are you on Windows 8?

http://i.imgur.com/dEtbWpY.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Cheers for that, didn't know you could set a manual profile in Afterburner, so thanks.
On Windows 8.1, just tried to 13.11v9.5, see if that made a difference before making the profile, which it didn't, so I'll go back up to 13.12 now, and keep that manual profile.

It's only for a time being anyway, as I'll be putting together a custom water loop soon.

Caporegime
Cheers for that, didn't know you could set a manual profile in Afterburner, so thanks.
On Windows 8.1, just tried to 13.11v9.5, see if that made a difference before making the profile, which it didn't, so I'll go back up to 13.12 now, and keep that manual profile.

It's only for a time being anyway, as I'll be putting together a custom water loop soon.

Good lad. I noticed it while back and reported it immediately.

Y3qXNf9.jpg

Soldato
Has anyone had any issues when using Flash player for sites like 4od or anything? This is my GPU usage when trying to watch something on 4od;
JWWKcIU.png

This all worked fine when I had my 7950, literally swapped out the card, and now having quite a few issues. I've removed and reinstalled drivers, and it doesn't seem to have done the trick. I've not got time tonight to fully investigate, 24 hour duty at work, so I'll be looking again tomorrow, but wondered if anyone had any quick idea what may be causing it. It happens in both Chrome and Firefox just for reference.

Caporegime
Has anyone had any issues when using Flash player for sites like 4od or anything? This is my GPU usage when trying to watch something on 4od;
JWWKcIU.png

This all worked fine when I had my 7950, literally swapped out the card, and now having quite a few issues. I've removed and reinstalled drivers, and it doesn't seem to have done the trick. I've not got time tonight to fully investigate, 24 hour duty at work, so I'll be looking again tomorrow, but wondered if anyone had any quick idea what may be causing it. It happens in both Chrome and Firefox just for reference.

Disable hardware acceleration in chrome (advanced) settings. :)

Man of Honour
OP
My toys up and running

itqz.jpg

Will be fitting waterblocks soon.:D

Associate
hi all
i have a problem with my 290x in cf when gaming.
after an hour or less pc will shut down and reboot no bsod in event viewer it saying error 41 i have recently done a new build and the switch on my power supply no longer works,only way to turn off is remove plug completely not really a problem as pc runs 24/7
i have overclocked my cf in catalyst 15% power 10% gpu 12% memory no issue with heat max temp never hits 50 on either card my power is ok on the 3v,5v 12v is this overclock to high ? or is psu struggling for power ?
thanks in advance

Caporegime
hi all
i have a problem with my 290x in cf when gaming.
after an hour or less pc will shut down and reboot no bsod in event viewer it saying error 41 i have recently done a new build and the switch on my power supply no longer works,only way to turn off is remove plug completely not really a problem as pc runs 24/7
i have overclocked my cf in catalyst 15% power 10% gpu 12% memory no issue with heat max temp never hits 50 on either card my power is ok on the 3v,5v 12v is this overclock to high ? or is psu struggling for power ?
thanks in advance

Sounds like a dodgy psu.

Associate
Got mine back in November, just didn't post here. Could you add me please (it's a HIS one)?

NglRfZw.jpg

FEKyf0P.jpg

ev09FZL.jpg

I got pretty unlucky, my first 290x was a screamer (massive coil whine) and had to go back. Second one (which I kept) isn't a great clocker and has a small amount of coil whine.

I can generally get the core to 1150 before it starts giving me grief in games. I can clock the memory to about 1400 for benchmarks but anything over stock causes black screens in games. It's nice and quiet though under water, and cool (55-60 degrees max with a 4770k in the loop).

The plan is to get a 1440p 120Hz monitor and another 290x at some point.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom