• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Man of Honour
OP
Got mine back in November, just didn't post here. Could you add me please (it's a HIS one)?

NglRfZw.jpg

FEKyf0P.jpg

ev09FZL.jpg

I got pretty unlucky, my first 290x was a screamer (massive coil whine) and had to go back. Second one (which I kept) isn't a great clocker and has a small amount of coil whine.

I can generally get the core to 1150 before it starts giving me grief in games. I can clock the memory to about 1400 for benchmarks but anything over stock causes black screens in games. It's nice and quiet though under water, and cool (55-60 degrees max with a 4770k in the loop).

The plan is to get a 1440p 120Hz monitor and another 290x at some point.

My MSI R9 290X Arrived today! Can you add me to the LBL (Lucky Buggers List)?

5M88ofw.jpg

The Roll of Honour has been updated.:)

Associate
Yeah, I'm trying to get a stock voltage OC here, I'm just wondering if theres anything I can do to increase stability.

In afterburner:

+50% power limit (this is not the same as core overvolting)
1100 core
1350 mem

job = jobbed ;)

This is stable for me in bf4 and requires no extra core voltage. 1150 and 1400 seems stable in benchmarks and other games but bf4 dont like it.

Can get to 1200 core and 1500 mem with +100mv core but again bf4 dont like it and I have ref blower so is very hot and noisy at this point!

Associate
In afterburner:

+50% power limit (this is not the same as core overvolting)
1100 core
1350 mem

job = jobbed ;)

This is stable for me in bf4 and requires no extra core voltage. 1150 and 1400 seems stable in benchmarks and other games but bf4 dont like it.

Can get to 1200 core and 1500 mem with +100mv core but again bf4 dont like it and I have ref blower so is very hot and noisy at this point!

I tried that and it crashes opening GPUZ. I also left it mining last night and Ive woken up to a shutdown PC. I'm confused.

Associate
Have had my 290X since Christmas and in that time I have upgraded my old i5 760 setup to new i7 4770K with MSI Z87M Gaming and not had a single problem.

Currently benching my Gigabyte Windforce 290X at 1,115-1,480 which is still at stock volts.

I have installed the latest beta of MSI Afterburner so now have the voltage change option but not sure I even wanna mess with it as am so pleased with the performance as is.

Been very very happy with this version of the 290X.

Soldato
Kaapstad, can you stick me on the roll of honour? Got mine on Christmas Eve, finally got around to posting pics:

IMG_5850.jpg

Only just barely fit in my case, the card is a beast:
IMG_5851.jpg

Associate
Okay so I have installed my 4930k in. It fix one of my issue with QuadFire. But I have another issue remaining. I have been trying to find it for almost 2 months now and I am lost.... completly.

I can run:
-QuadFire R9 290x on 1440p Panels via DVI
-Or each card individually in eyefinity 3 x 1440p (2 x DVI and 1 x display Port)

BUT
I cannot run CrossFire / Trifire or QuadFire in eyefinity, or I can't even with the display port output but its fine with the DVI outputs :confused:

Conclusion: Display Port output + CrossFire : Doesn't work.

I really don't know why, I have tried all of the drivers.

I am using that dongle on the Display Port monitor
http://www.accellcables.com/B087B-002B.html

I know its not the dongle (adapter) because I have tried two, I have tried them on each monitor and also Eyefinity works on single card. But when I try to run a game using eyefinity or a single monitor vis the display Port output of the card, the monitors start flickering like if the display port is loosing signal.

I'm really tired of testing everything and trying everything I have in mind.

Man of Honour
OP
Okay so I have installed my 4930k in. It fix one of my issue with QuadFire. But I have another issue remaining. I have been trying to find it for almost 2 months now and I am lost.... completly.

I can run:
-Or each card individually in eyefinity 3 x 1440p (2 x DVI and 1 x display Port)

BUT
I cannot run CrossFire / Trifire or QuadFire in eyefinity, or I can't even with the display port output but its fine with the DVI outputs :confused:

I know its not the dongle (adapter) because I have tried two, I have tried them on each monitor and also Eyefinity works on single card. But when I try to run a game using eyefinity or a single monitor vis the display Port output of the card, the monitors start flickering like if the display port is loosing signal.

I am sorry to hear about your multi monitor problems, I only use a single 1600p monitor so I don't know enough to help.

It is good that the 4930k helped a little bit.

If you post a pic of your 290Xs I would really like to put you on the Roll of Honour in the OP.

Soldato

I can run:

BUT

what refresh rate you using?
what monitors are they?
Also the adapter you linked to say its been tested with eyfinity but i can see where it states if its passive or active? i know its powered for the dual link i can see that.
The cable has a 120hz limit from what it says thats why i ask, also my AOC monitor display port wont go above 60hz until a firmware is released.

Im no expert so excuse me if it doesnt help.

Man of Honour
OP
How many of these are needed at 1440p I currently have crossfire 7950 but if one of these is close to that and could handle 1440p smooth then that could sway me towards one worth an eye to getting a 2nd later if need be

One could just about handle 1440p but it would be a bit of a drop in performance compared to what you are using now.

If you want to upgrade a couple of non ref 290Ps would be a better and cheaper way to go. The performance would only be a few % less than using 290Xs but it would be a lot cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom