• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** MSI 290X LIGHTNING IS NOW AVAILABLE!! **

Caporegime
He did a SE version for the 770/780 Lightning cards so that was my thinking on this

I'm probably off the mark - nothing unusual there :D

No you may well be right. Just read the description of the Extended Voltage thing and thought it could apply to this. Its been there for a while though, so you might be right.

Man of Honour
Either way - I hope they don't/haven't limited this card for the normal user.

I am starting to get a bit annoyed by NVidia and AMD bringing out uber cards like this and then making users jump through hoops to use them.

If Asus can do a reference 290X complete with its below par cooler and you can put 1.412v through it out of the box why are the manufacturers making life so difficult with these "Special Edition" cards. And as for NVidia they really are taking the .................

Permabanned
Kaapstad +1
Asus has +200mv from day one Crap cooler cards. MSI is making 620 pound version of card and limits it to +100mv ??
If so its poor card in my opinion for silly money they are asking.

OcUK Staff
Guys spoken with MSI myself this morning. I have suggested +200 Core minimum, + 200 mem minimum I would like to see +300 and PLL +150 for you guys to play with.

MSI have confirmed to me they are reviewing. I will push guys. They have a full 6 Pin supplying only the phases to memory so come on give us the voltages too.

One important thing I was further updated on is only Samsung in this card. Which is exactly what we suggested. No Hynix at all. This means great efficiency and clocking. Gibbos card 1750 no effort +300 This will be 1850 mems which is outstanding.

Associate
I am starting to get a bit annoyed by NVidia and AMD bringing out uber cards like this and then making users jump through hoops to use them.

If Asus can do a reference 290X complete with its below par cooler and you can put 1.412v through it out of the box why are the manufacturers making life so difficult with these "Special Edition" cards. And as for NVidia they really are taking the .................

I do agree with you completely ! It s the same story as with MSI GTX 780 Lightning : a beefy PCB , PWMS and mosfets , but borked BIOS and measly chips - Nvidia hass got problems as well and not having so many good chips for OC as well- see : at first ref GTX 780Tis were great, but after that EVGA etc needed the better chips for Classy , so the refs went down . Now they
need good chips for TITAN BE . And on top of that Nvidia /AMD
"green restrictions " on 700+€ video cards. :D

OcUK Staff
With Nvidia MSI's hands are tied.

Give them chance to fix this before everyone slams them.

What we have here is a very well designed card, great cooler and excellent memory.

We have asked the questions about voltages lets see how they respond.

Caporegime
It may already be possible, see above. :)

If it doesn't work through your method it wont at all, Unwinder has already said regarding MSI that it's nothing to do with him and he turns his back. Funny that he works with MSI but doesn't want to fix the voltage limits.

MSI turns around and says it's a safety limit and they wont touch it because basically they don't trust the user

Soldato
Guys spoken with MSI myself this morning. I have suggested +200 Core minimum, + 200 mem minimum I would like to see +300 and PLL +150 for you guys to play with.

MSI have confirmed to me they are reviewing. I will push guys. They have a full 6 Pin supplying only the phases to memory so come on give us the voltages too.

One important thing I was further updated on is only Samsung in this card. Which is exactly what we suggested. No Hynix at all. This means great efficiency and clocking. Gibbos card 1750 no effort +300 This will be 1850 mems which is outstanding.

Nice one Ian! Makes no sense to me and I fully expected this card to be pretty lax on lock downs.

Caporegime
We have asked the questions about voltages lets see how they respond.

Dear sir/madam
Thanks for contacting MSI technical support.
Regarding your concern,the bios voltages locked in order to protect the GPU,If long time work under high voltage, the GPU is more likely to burn out, MSI may be not release an updated the bios that enables us to overclock

Thanks for your cooperation in advance!

Best Regards,
MSI Technical Support Team

That's what I got on my 280x lets see if your response is similar

Soldato
Nice one Ian, I really do hope they listen to you.

You should tell them to do an 8 pack edition shipped with no cooler and big out of the box volts ;)

Associate
Very nice : e.g. pay 620 GBP for the locked card just for your good feeling, for its fancy looks and for our shareholders joy .

As I wrote, the game is the same with EVGA and Nvidia .

;););)

Permabanned
fa5719 so you will keep warranty on 520 pounds worth of card ?? I know you dont loose it with OCUK but what about Germany Poland France ?? They dont have OCUK to buy MSI cards from.

I would say 600 pounds with waterblock would be cool. But with voltage lock its pointless anyway....

Associate
Right, mate I have to agree with you on that ... with voltage lock they can keep the cards to themselves. That includes Nvidia too

Associate
Your running a Ti thats voltage locked man!!
Yes , I am well aware of that ;) but with Skyn3ts BIOS it is finally the card that i was aiming at- no boost , higher PWTGT... But tell me , what is the sense in buying the 620£ card that s got the +100mv capped BIOS ?

Back
Top Bottom