• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Caporegime
One of my dom plats sticks died at a **** poor 1.62v so at 1AM this morning I thought it would be a good idea to buy some more RAM, and also a Lightning :). Doubt it'll get sent till Tuesday :(

Ohhhh the ol "My ram has failed, so must order some more....And a 290X Lightning" post. I am sick of seeing them pop up all the time :D

Soldato
Are your other sticks ok or has Lightning struck twice.:D

give it a go first, i picked one yesterday and quite pleased with the temps, i ran a few benchies of heaven with the core at 1100 and fan at stock speeds and didnt go over 72c

lol :D

Yeah just the one stick. I think it might have been a bit of a runt as I'm sure I had problems with it registering on the first couple of days but was fine since. Seems it's died with puny amounts of voltage! Shame as it was a great kit, hopefully the replacement will be.

Can't wait to play with the Lightning

Associate
I was just reading something elsewhere about an Nvidia card upgrade, and people were pointing out the card was fine, and their mobo vers only supported PCIe 2.0, therefor throttling its performance.

My existing Mobo (1155 P67) is also 2.0, and i was wondering if anyone knew A) if this was true, B) if so, to what degree is it likely to be throttling the card?

Im only running a 270X currently (is that likely to be getting the same treatment?) but im planning on adding a 290X and probably a 2nd if need be, but just wondering whether im going to need a 3.0 Mobo too (Z77 probably).

Man of Honour
OP
I was just reading something elsewhere about an Nvidia card upgrade, and people were pointing out the card was fine, and their mobo vers only supported PCIe 2.0, therefor throttling its performance.

My existing Mobo (1155 P67) is also 2.0, and i was wondering if anyone knew A) if this was true, B) if so, to what degree is it likely to be throttling the card?

Im only running a 270X currently (is that likely to be getting the same treatment?) but im planning on adding a 290X and probably a 2nd if need be, but just wondering whether im going to need a 3.0 Mobo too (Z77 probably).

There is practically no difference between using PCI-E 2.0 or 3.0

Here is a couple of runs using 4 stock 290Xs and a 4930k @4.0gz using both 2.0 and 3.0

PCI-E 2.0
8ydv3gR.jpg

PCI-E 3.0
TUmXPt2.jpg

The difference is so small it is not worth bothering about.:)

Caporegime
give it a go first, i picked one yesterday and quite pleased with the temps, i ran a few benchies of heaven with the core at 1100 and fan at stock speeds and didnt go over 72c

Wow, you were on the money!

I gave it a brief run mining, fans at 75%, in a closed case, and temps never breached 74ºC. Gaming is much lower in both heat and fan noise.

Very happy with this card!

Can't be bothering with upping the voltage, are there any worthwhile gains to be made overclocking at stock volts?

Soldato
Delivery yesterday :)

photo1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom