• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The OcUK ComputeMark Leaderboard***

Soldato
Now I'm not trying to start anything here here, just an honest question, but does this mean that Nvidia cards, or at least 780/780Ti (and presumably Titans), are better at compute than AMD cards?

I ask because I thought that AMDs cards, at least the GCN cards were supposed to be good at compute stuff? (Honestly, I'm not trying to wind anyone up or turn this into an AMD vs. Nvidia thread, we have enough of them)

I'm not saying it's why I bought AMD cards, so it's not an issue, but until now I thought AMD cards were stronger at Compute based stuff.

Soldato
Had another shot with a slightly higher overclock... she locks up if i push her any further:(

Single 780 @ 1215 core / 1677 mem
i7 @4ghz
Score 9712

dfyjbm.png

Soldato
Now I'm not trying to start anything here here, just an honest question, but does this mean that Nvidia cards, or at least 780/780Ti (and presumably Titans), are better at compute than AMD cards?

I ask because I thought that AMDs cards, at least the GCN cards were supposed to be good at compute stuff? (Honestly, I'm not trying to wind anyone up or turn this into an AMD vs. Nvidia thread, we have enough of them)

I'm not saying it's why I bought AMD cards, so it's not an issue, but until now I thought AMD cards were stronger at Compute based stuff.

I'm not an expert but my guess would be as this is a shader benchmark, the much higher clock of nvidia shaders comes into play (AMD shaders are clocked same as the core i believe)

Associate
And none are Titans so far which has non crippled DP Compute. ;)

I ran a test on my titan, scores were lower with full fat DP enabled on this test, as this test is just SP and the card clocks lower when the DP units are enabled.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not an expert but my guess would be as this is a shader benchmark, the much higher clock of nvidia shaders comes into play (AMD shaders are clocked same as the core i believe)

So are Keplar shaders. Nvidia's OpenCL performance has always been poor when compared to what the hardware is capable of, almost as if they want people to use something else...

Soldato

No it's just one Benchmark. Here is tests done on a whole lists of programs.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforce-gtx-titan-opencl-cuda-workstation,review-32670-4.html

I think by the end its a real mixed bag and it all depends on what is used.

Caporegime
OP
Will update this later guys. :)

What breadturbo said here

Its a DirectX shader Compute performance benchmark, the 290X and 780TI are actually somewhat similar in this and they do have about the same amount of shaders, the performance difference is more to do with the 780TI's here running higher clocks.

I think your thinking of Floating Point Compute performance, in that yes AMD are a lot faster and there is an app to demonstrate that if you want me to make a thread for it?

Associate
I think your thinking of Floating Point Compute performance, in that yes AMD are a lot faster and there is an app to demonstrate that if you want me to make a thread for it?

I imagine you expected this thread to do that. ;)

AMD are not 'a lot faster'. It depends on the app and the language used. Keplar has always had very poor OpenCL performance, but professional apps based around CUDA are very strong. Plus the likes of IBM use Nvidia GPU's to make some of the worlds fastest super computers for a reason, if AMD were just that much faster like you asert then surely they would choose otherwise.

Caporegime
OP
I imagine you expected this thread to do that. ;)

AMD are not 'a lot faster'. It depends on the app and the language used. Keplar has always had very poor OpenCL performance, but professional apps based around CUDA are very strong. Plus the likes of IBM use Nvidia GPU's to make some of the worlds fastest super computers for a reason, if AMD were just that much faster like you asert then surely they would choose otherwise.

The website has a leaderboard with GPU's listed :rolleyes:

If i wanted to make a benchmark thread that i knew AMD would blow Nvidia into the dark ages i would have made a LuxMark thread,.

Caporegime
3b85be91cd5231633fd7d009fb665f24.jpg

Anyone else have this problem? Seems I can run it but ccant see my results or click anything either.

Yes i had the same issue, its because you have zoom mode on in windows. If you turn it off and restart your pc then you can run it. Pain in the bum. I turned it off, ran it once and now will never use it again.

Back
Top Bottom