Remember to check your phone bills!

Caporegime
My landline is never used (it's actually a bit annoying we have to have one at all) so when I received a bill for £180 I was taken a back.

Turns out some crafty scoundrels have somehow hijacked my line and made many expensive calls to a premium number in Guinea-Bissau. 20 or so 5 minute calls, totalling just over £180.

Apparently it's a common scam, and the most popular techniques to do this include physically accessing the line at the junction box on the road, or up the pole (ooer), or even the terminal box on your property. They can also, with some DECT devices, register as an extra handset and use your line that way.

Anyway, my provider are doing an investigation (and have taken the money for the bill by DD in the process, the nitwits) and will refund if they find the intrusion happened outside of my control (whatever that means, hopefully they aren't going to call me a fibber) but I read that asking your neighbours if the have been affected by it as well, and a note to the ombudsman (Oftel) is usually enough to stop any unnecessary further proceedings.

So.. ja. Just a friendly heads up :)

Soldato
I'm pretty sure there is an internet provider coming out that disregards phonelines altogether. I think it's based off 4G. Anyways, since you're in London, you should go down that route and then you won't have to worry about this sort of thing again :)

Soldato
Why do you still have a landline then? Maybe get an online number and have stuff redirected to your mobile, if you still have relatives who'd rather talk to you over the phone.

Man of Honour
You still need a landline and pay line rental for it to have FTTC.

Regarding OP there have been a couple of other threads about this sort of thing recently - IIRC one guy had £700 worth of calls made over a weekend or something. Seems to be in the rise.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure there is an internet provider coming out that disregards phonelines altogether. I think it's based off 4G. Anyways, since you're in London, you should go down that route and then you won't have to worry about this sort of thing again :)

Do you know the name of this provider? My TP-LINK router takes USB 3G dongles.

Permabanned
Once in SA my friends house had a boundary wall that was the wall of another house and it had the phone box on that wall. One day i unscrewed the box and plugged in a phone and we got a dial tone, so naturally we ran a cable to our dial up modem and used it for internet. Until the neighbour complained to the phone company that when they pick up the phone they hear the modem noise. They came around to investigate and saw the wire going to my friends bedroom and he was forced to pay R2000 haha

Soldato
I have Virgin Media 100mb and I don't pay for a phone line.
I have SKY TV and I don't pay for a phone line.

Unnecessary evil these days when I have a mobile phone with virtually free everything.

Soldato
... do I really need to spell that out? I have a phone line. With line rental. Which naturally has an account. Which is mandatory if I want an internet connection (at least a fibre one.)

That's absurd in this day and age. Surely if someone who doesn't ring premium phone lines on a dormant account then that would flag up as suspicious. Just like if you had your credit card details stolen and you use it for a one-off, and something that maxes the balance out in one go would be fishy.

Soldato

Unnecessary evil these days when I have a mobile phone with virtually free everything.

Not really unnecessary for everyone. We don't get cable here, or 3G or 4G, so phone line is required.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime

Virgin is available to a small fraction of the country geographically, ditto 4G mobile data services.

You are forced into a landline contract with a BTW connection :(

Back
Top Bottom