• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Associate
Thanks very much guys, I appreciate your help.

tommybhoy, that's the card I was looking at yesterday as a likely candidate if I was able to get one. My current cards are using the Hynix ram so that will fit in nicely.

I'm just trying to find a suitable waterblock for it now. I have the WC-460-EK ones at the moment but I can't seem to find them.

Many thanks again fellas.

P.S. On my CPU issue thread it was mentioned that the mother board would need upgrading if I was going to add a third card, is that right ?

I have the Gigabyte Z87X-OC.

Associate
Many thanks for the help again guys, I've got my pc RMA'd for Monday and I'll be getting that Sapphire card fitted along with an extra 8GB 2400 memory and a backplate for the top card and an EK triple terminal. So I'm actually happy to have my pc going in for repairs now.

Just a bit of advice though. Should the new card be at the top of the pile, the first card ?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Just ordered the Sapphire 290X Tri-X from OcUK. This will be my 2nd AMD card, the last one was the 4870 portable heater :eek:

I'm slightly upgrading from a vanilla GTX 780 which just sold on MM. I game at 3440x1440 so the extra VRAM will come in handy and reviews point the Tri-X 290X to be a fair figure above the 780 at 1600p.

I've been more than pleased with the 780 performance but with the new round ofgames coming out I just know the extra bit of power will come useful and I fancy a bit of a change to see what AMD are now like with drivers and performance.

Excited, should be here tomorrow!

Caporegime
Just ordered the Sapphire 290X Tri-X from OcUK. This will be my 2nd AMD card, the last one was the 4870 portable heater :eek:

I'm slightly upgrading from a vanilla GTX 780 which just sold on MM. I game at 3440x1440 so the extra VRAM will come in handy and reviews point the Tri-X 290X to be a fair figure above the 780 at 1600p.

I've been more than pleased with the 780 performance but with the new round ofgames coming out I just know the extra bit of power will come useful and I fancy a bit of a change to see what AMD are now like with drivers and performance.

Welcome to the dark side mrk. :cool:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
So are there any common issues I need to be aware of? My searching hasn't brought anything obvious to light. Also I used to use nVidia Shadowplay, what is AMD's equivalent?

Thanks!

Caporegime
Kaap any way to extend the overclocking limits that you know of in gpu-tweak? Default voltage is 1.225v and i can max out the core and memory with only 1.3v at 1320/1800. I can only imagine what 1.5v might do...

Man of Honour
OP
Kaap any way to extend the overclocking limits that you know of in gpu-tweak? Default voltage is 1.225v and i can max out the core and memory with only 1.3v at 1320/1800. I can only imagine what 1.5v might do...

I don't know, I bought Asus cards as I knew by default they could do more than 1.4 with GPUTweak.

Soldato

Great choice!

Soldato
Got my prize today from ocUk/AMD, the simply stunning Asus Radeon R9 290X DirectCU II OC.

SusanDPD lady (pretty;)) arrived on time and the toys are now sitting proud waiting to take a pounding tomorrow from the wee man.:D

Asus Radeon R9 290X DirectCU II OC CrossFireX with Powercolor 290(X)Sitting on top of a modded AC 5870 Xtreme<Beast VRM mod>
Also threw in the Superflower 1300w and it is a beast of a psu.

k3RI4XH.jpg

6LFZhZq.jpg

I didn't take any card shots, but I should have, it's a very, very high quality piece of kit, it is solidly built(better than MSI/Gbyte etc), the back plate is simply gorgeous, I should add that the cooler is very wide too, and it's just shorter than my 32cm Xtreme.

The cooler-it's going to be very well up for the task, as it ramps up well to keep temps in check.

If you are used to AIB custom cooled gpu's then noise/temps won't be an issue this ones a cracker(only read the spoiler if you are like me-Anal about fan noise):)

My only gripe is I'm anal about fan noise, as above, I only use AC Xtremes on my gpu's, the DCUII OC for my ears unfortunately isn't happening, so the cooler is getting ripped off and I'll put my other Xtreme on and that'l be me sorted:D

Yet another thanks goes out to 5UB/ocUk and Warsam/AMD for giving me another 290X that's enabling tommy a CrossFire setup for a grand total of £324.:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Got my prize today from ocUk/AMD, the simply stunning Asus Radeon R9 290X DirectCU II OC.

SusanDPD lady (pretty;)) arrived on time and the toys are now sitting proud waiting to take a pounding tomorrow from the wee man.:D

Asus Radeon R9 290X DirectCU II OC CrossFireX with Powercolor 290(X)Sitting on top of a modded AC 5870 Xtreme<Beast VRM mod>

k3RI4XH.jpg

6LFZhZq.jpg

I didn't take any card shots, but I should have, it's a very, very high quality piece of kit, it is solidly built(better than MSI/Gbyte etc), the back plate is simply gorgeous, I should add that the cooler is very wide too, and it's just shorter than my 32cm Xtreme.

The cooler-it's going to be very well up for the task, as it ramps up well to keep temps in check.

If you are used to AIB custom cooled gpu's then noise/temps won't be an issue this ones a cracker(only read the spoiler if you are like me-Anal about fan noise):)

My only gripe is I'm anal about fan noise, as above, I only use AC Xtremes on my gpu's, the DCUII OC for my ears unfortunately isn't happening, so the cooler is getting ripped off and I'll put my other Xtreme on and that'l be me sorted:D

Yet another thanks goes out to 5UB/ocUk and Warsam/AMD for giving me another 290X that's enabling tommy a CrossFire setup for a grand total of £324.:D:D:D:D

Very nice and on the Roll of Honour (twice!!!).:)

Will we be seeing any benches.:)

Caporegime

k3RI4XH.jpg

6LFZhZq.jpg

Jelly....

Back
Top Bottom