• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Permabanned
I recently decided to try a 290x and went with the MSI 290x gaming, Mainly because I've had some great MSI cards in the past and this was the cheapest non-reference so it looked like a good option.

It's been a huge disappointment,

First of all there's the +90 degree temps which everyone claimed the non reference models fix, Do they heck it runs 20 degrees hotter than an EVGA 780 Classified (in the same build) and after turning my two 14cm side window fans around so that they exhaust air it turns my room into a friggin sauna.

There's also a few niggling issues like when I pause a game and go to desktop for an extended period of time I find that when I re-enter the game the graphics card fails to ramp up and I get stuck chugging along at 10 to 20 fps forcing me to end the game and do a restart. An issue I've never had with previous AMD or Nvidia cards before.

Sadly I can't get rid of it quick enough.

To top it off AMD have refused to allow me to use the Gold label games card because they apparently have a 2 cards per person rule (It is in the rules but I'm unsure how long it's been there for). It's interesting because Overclockers give you three cards when you buy an 8 gb 290x?

Last edited:
Soldato
Despite my 290 Tri-X OC being perfectly adequate I feel I want a 290X now, just because. The PowerColour one looks like one of the highest clocked for the price although I'm unfamiliar iwth this brand and I think it might be 3 slot instead of 2 like the TR-X.

Caporegime
Despite my 290 Tri-X OC being perfectly adequate I feel I want a 290X now, just because. The PowerColour one looks like one of the highest clocked for the price although I'm unfamiliar iwth this brand and I think it might be 3 slot instead of 2 like the TR-X.

If money is no object and you're a single card user, the fastest single gpu always makes more sense in my eyes. Even if it will only grant you 5-10% extra performance over the model below.

Soldato
Yeah, so I should go for a 780ti Classified then I guess. Money is an object of course so I won't get something crazy for the sake of it. I really wan't to stay AMD because I'm hoping Mantle might actually become something good and used a bit more.

Caporegime
Yeah, so I should go for a 780ti Classified then I guess. Money is an object of course so I won't get something crazy for the sake of it. I really wan't to stay AMD because I'm hoping Mantle might actually become something good and used a bit more.

You should've just got a 290X to start with. They're still around the same price (give or take a few quid) as your typical 780. :)

Soldato
Sorry :(

VaporX is a good bet too, I cannot see a 290X tri-x OC but then I know you can obviously overclock them anyway to get near the factory clocks of other cards.
Where would your money be going given £450?

Caporegime
Sorry :(

VaporX is a good bet too, I cannot see a 290X tri-x OC but then I know you can obviously overclock them anyway to get near the factory clocks of other cards.
Where would your money be going given £450?

Give me your 290 and I'll forgive you. :p

If i had £450 I'd get a 290X lightning, followed by a 290X Tri-X or a 290X PCS. I'd avoid the Vapour simply for the fact that it has a throttling limit so extreme overclocks appear to be out of the question according to Frosty. If i was a single card user I'd absolutely be wanting to overclock my card to around 1200/1500 to maximise performance.

Soldato

I would just keep the 290, i had a msi 290x gaming edition and now a powecolor 290 pcs+ and at 2560x1440 i cant tell the difference whilst gaming

Soldato
Not sure about the Lightning as I'm not a water overclocker and what I've seen it doesn't clock much better on air than others. I know oldgamer, just this is what happens when I get bored, shiny things arrive.

Man of Honour
And in she goes :cool:

pc_290X_installed2.jpg

Soldato
Any-one running crossfire and wanting to reduce temps I cant recommend this enough, LtMatt made the suggestion.

120mm high static pressure Corsair fan, I mounted it using cable ties to fix it tightly into place and its situated mainly to push air between the card where all the hot air gathers.

My case had poor airflow NZXT H440 and it's reduced my temps by 11c on the top GPU, cases with good airflow will still see a 8c drop.

Man of Honour
Very nice, how are you finding the Tri-x?

Seems fine so far, it produces more heat inside my case though whereas the GTX 780 pushed it out the back of the cooler. Speedfan locked the fans to 20% though which I thought was weird and wondered why the pc was releasing epic heat when gaming! Turned off speed control for gpu off and now sorted.

Back
Top Bottom