New ISP advice please

Associate
Moving house and need ISP advice please. The new property has pretty much all the main ISP's as an option including FTTC and Virgin Media.

I'm happy to spend around £20 notes a month on the Internet as long as it is unlimited with no throttling, so my question is which ISP is currently top dog for all round customer service and performance?

Cheers.

Associate
As you're on a budget, Plusnet.

They do throttle. However for a cheap service they are pretty ok. On the Zen recommendation the cheapest unlimited home fibre package is £27.00pm but also requires line rental (£15.44pm) and activation (£30). Its also only a 40/20 service. The 80/20 service is £30 (line rental £15.44, no activation). There is no throttling.

I work at Zen, so I'm only providing facts, rather than a recommendation.

Associate
'Throttle' tends to imply overall rate limiting, which they don't.

Yep, all your downloads will run at full speed and not be rate limited ...

Plusnet pros -

- Reliable
- Fast
- Cheap
- UK Support staff(typically polite and helpful) who also visit other forums beyond the official Plusnet one.

Plusnet cons -

- They seem to have had some issues with phone waiting times as they've expanded. You can see live stats on that here - http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=212

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Plusnet cons:

- Interfering traffic prioritisation (£5 per month to disable)
- Internal IP profile

Associate
Plusnet cons:

- Interfering traffic prioritisation (£5 per month to disable)
- Internal IP profile

Point one(which is either ignorant or disingenuous) - http://community.plus.net/blog/2012/12/21/its-unlimited-why-is-it-still-traffic-managed/ . It is quite likely a user will get a worse experience(like an average ISP) by turning prioritisation off - so save yourself a fiver.

Point two - I'd spend more time worrying about DLM and my profile, which nobody can do much about anyway.

Associate
OP
Does your £20 include line rental?

No, the £20 figure is just for the internet access.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, Virgin is an option so I'll do some further digging on congestion in my area. Plusnet seems like a decent deal atm, seems like I missed out on some nice cashback sadly.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Point one(which is either ignorant or disingenuous) - http://community.plus.net/blog/2012/12/21/its-unlimited-why-is-it-still-traffic-managed/ . It is quite likely a user will get a worse experience(like an average ISP) by turning prioritisation off - so save yourself a fiver.

Point two - I'd spend more time worrying about DLM and my profile, which nobody can do much about anyway.

This is an enthusiast forum. Many of us are capable of managing our own networks. If it were a useful feature to have, more providers would be offering it. I wouldn't have an issue with it if it were free to disable.

PN internal IP profile shaves 1-2Mb/s off max throughput.

Back
Top Bottom