• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Man of Honour
OP
Kaapstad add me on the list. :)

A proud owner of a mighty Sapphire 295X2 :D

Which for some of my colleagues doesn't make sense. One saw yesterday the card, asked the price and said "why not buy xbox one to play games, is cheaper".

(and that came from someone who buys the latest Apple toys all the time....lol).

I would like to put you on the list but this is the 290X thread and the guys over in the 295X2 owners thread would probably get a bit upset.:D

Soldato
I'm now thinking getting a 290X is not a good idea until I upgrade my CPU. I'm still rocking the 1st gen i5 750! My CPU will only bottleneck the 290X

Associate
I'm now thinking getting a 290X is not a good idea until I upgrade my CPU. I'm still rocking the 1st gen i5 750! My CPU will only bottleneck the 290X

I had an i5 760 when I first got my 290X and running at 3.8Ghz there was no bottleneck in anything that I ran.

In all the latest benchmarks the 290X was the bottleneck not the i5 760.

You will be surprised.

Soldato
I had an i5 760 when I first got my 290X and running at 3.8Ghz there was no bottleneck in anything that I ran.

In all the latest benchmarks the 290X was the bottleneck not the i5 760.

You will be surprised.

Thanks for your input really is swaying me to get a Sapphire 290 Tri X..hmmmmm really tempted

Associate
I hope someone can throw some light on this for me.

I noticed that since I updated the drivers ( it could have happened before but that is when I noticed this) that in CCC it now says :

3 GPU's (6 0 12)
2 GPU's (6 12)
2 GPU's (6 0)

I don't remember exactly what it said before but the numbers were a lot higher. Is this anything to be concerned about or do I ignore it ?

Man of Honour
OP
I hope someone can throw some light on this for me.

I noticed that since I updated the drivers ( it could have happened before but that is when I noticed this) that in CCC it now says :

3 GPU's (6 0 12)
2 GPU's (6 12)
2 GPU's (6 0)

I don't remember exactly what it said before but the numbers were a lot higher. Is this anything to be concerned about or do I ignore it ?

Mine says this for whatever it's worth:

12 6 0
12 0
12 6

Buggered if I know what it means, apart from something to do with pcie something or other :D :o

Nothing to worry about

Sometimes the numbers will change when updating drivers and they can change again when you reboot.

It is only where CCC gets a bit confused referring to the different cards but it does not effect performance.

On my motherboard the lowest number refers to the top card, the next highest number to the next card down and so on.

Here is mine

zkB08Qh.jpg

The above is what they normally are but when I change drivers they could be 0,12,6,14 or 0,12,6,22 or some other 4 numbers. Normally after a couple of reboots or restarts they will settle down to what you see in the pic.

It is nothing to worry about just ignore it.

Associate
Kaapstad, many thanks for the info mate, that's really good to know.

So I need to post a pic of my cards to get on the roll of honour then.

Here you go. Still lots of work to do on this but you can see the three cards. Is that enough ?

bluspc_3.jpg

Associate
Wow, thanks CEUOTC and Matt.

Sadly I'm not able to use it to its full potential yet as I don't have the required cooling capacity to run the real heavy load games on it without going over 60°. So I'm currently gathering parts for an external res and rad setup on the wall to the side of the rig.
I've got most of the parts, I just need a radiator stand that will allow me to get it sideways on the wall, which I've managed to source but funds are holding me back at the moment. It's been more costly than I anticipated.

Back
Top Bottom