Anyone Using an Asus DSL-AC68U

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I believe this version is the first one with true gigabit nat capability. All the others would max out somewhere about 200mbit to the internet.

OllyM on here has posted several speed tests at 800+ using an RT-AC66U (connected to gbit fibre), i cant believe that the 68U is limited... :)

Last edited:
Associate
Installed it ok last night. Didnt have much time to play around with it but initial impressions are good.

Wireless coverage seems excellent. Much better than the HomeHub5 and better than the RT-N56U I had before.

As far as the VDSL side for BT Infinity 2 that was easy. It auto detected BT Infinity 2 and all I had to do was set the username as "[email protected]" and a password of a single space and it connected straight away.

My Download sync speed has jumped from about 71,000 kbps to 77996 kbps. The Upload has gone from ~18k to 20k. I think this is the line maxed out.

The max Datarate down has also increased from ~80,000 to 98,000. Time will tell how stable it is but it stayed up overnight.

Associate
I'm assuming my fear that it can't be wall mounted in any way is true?

There does not appear to be any way to wall mount it. If you look at the images the base stand that sticks out very slightly at the bottom is a single moulded piece. And there doesn't appear to be any kind of other mounting option.

As an update the line has been stable for a couple of days now whereas I used to find the Homehub 5 would be resetting the connection every day or two.

I also notice that stuff like speedtest shows a rock solid and consistant download speed whereas the homehub used to fluctuate quite a lot.

Seems like a nice piece of kit so far and very happy with initial impressions.

Associate
Very tempted to get this. The 2nd wave RT-AC87 is coming out soon.

I have talk talk fibre medium so have the phone socket connected to the openreach vdsl modem which is connected to the crap talk talk n wireless router (Huawei HG533).

This should eliminate the need for both of these.

£200 is a bit expensive though. I wonder how long the wait for the VDSL version of the AC87? (Asus DSL-AC87U)

Associate
I am on talktalk FTTC, and I am seriously considering getting this version as soon as it becomes readily available, so that I can get rid of the cr@p Huawei HG 635 and the BTOR modem.

You guys do realise that this modem version has only 1 x USB 3 port as opposed to 2 x USB ports on the non modem version?

Permabanned
The American FCC requirements are gimping the Asus routers. The transmission power and chnnels that are available are affected. You can modify the bootloader to bypass this but stock n and ac throughput in real life environments and not a lab aren't worth singing about.

Associate
VDSL performance issues

Has anyone else had a go with one of these on BT FTC?

I've been running mine for a bout 2 weeks now and while I'm happy with the wireless speed and coverage, I am having some problems with the VDSL modem stability.

I might try my old OR modem with some unlocked firmware to see if it's any better.

Soldato
Installed it ok last night. Didnt have much time to play around with it but initial impressions are good.

Wireless coverage seems excellent. Much better than the HomeHub5 and better than the RT-N56U I had before.

As far as the VDSL side for BT Infinity 2 that was easy. It auto detected BT Infinity 2 and all I had to do was set the username as "[email protected]" and a password of a single space and it connected straight away.

My Download sync speed has jumped from about 71,000 kbps to 77996 kbps. The Upload has gone from ~18k to 20k. I think this is the line maxed out.

The max Datarate down has also increased from ~80,000 to 98,000. Time will tell how stable it is but it stayed up overnight.

Does your VDSL stats showing such as CRC, HEC, FEC, Interleaving INP? as this part is very important for VDSL and are your FTTC cabinet Hauwei or Eci?

Associate
Does your VDSL stats showing such as CRC, HEC, FEC, Interleaving INP? as this part is very important for VDSL and are your FTTC cabinet Hauwei or Eci?

It only shows CRC Errors on the stats page alongside the sync speeds, max attainable speeds, SRNM. No details of HEC, FEC or interleaving depth. I suspect there may be a way to get all the additional info from command line if you enable telnet/ssh access.

Soldato
It only shows CRC Errors on the stats page alongside the sync speeds, max attainable speeds, SRNM. No details of HEC, FEC or interleaving depth. I suspect there may be a way to get all the additional info from command line if you enable telnet/ssh access.

I think they do have it under ADSL log see below:

Associate

I've been running mine for a bout 2 weeks now and while I'm happy with the wireless speed and coverage, I am having some problems with the VDSL modem stability.

I might try my old OR modem with some unlocked firmware to see if it's any better.

I'm not impressed with this router - whether it's because I was testing and had swapped over between the OR modem and the DSL-AC68U a few times, or had a dodgy RJ11 that caused a load of CRC errors, but DLM kicked in an forced some interleaving on my line for couple of weeks back on the OR modem.

ECI cabinet - the DSL consistently syncs 3 - 4Mbps lower on downstream but upstream rate is higher by about 2 - 3Mbps compared to the ECI modem.

I may wait for another firmware update before trying the DSL-AC68U again - for the moment I'm back with the RT-AC68U and OR modem combination which is stable for me for weeks on end.

Soldato
That's a pity for overpriced Asus DSL AC68U for not showing extra stats. I think it ashame really. Asus never learn to listen to what customers want.

I think u best off with RT-AC68U and OR modem (unlocked)

Associate

I'm not impressed with this router - whether it's because I was testing and had swapped over between the OR modem and the DSL-AC68U a few times, or had a dodgy RJ11 that caused a load of CRC errors, but DLM kicked in an forced some interleaving on my line for couple of weeks back on the OR modem.

ECI cabinet - the DSL consistently syncs 3 - 4Mbps lower on downstream but upstream rate is higher by about 2 - 3Mbps compared to the ECI modem.

I may wait for another firmware update before trying the DSL-AC68U again - for the moment I'm back with the RT-AC68U and OR modem combination which is stable for me for weeks on end.

Reference the DSL-AC68U I can confirm DSL re-sync issues & modem instability with BT FTTC Infinity 2. (The routing side of the router works well, but the modem side at the moment is next to useless).

Over a 2 week period it would re-sync at least 10 to 15 times per day. The DLM kicked in hard and reduced my line stats from a reliable 54Mbs Dpwn / 8Mbs Up to 29Mbs Down / 5Mbs Up with a high level of interleaving. At this point I took the router off the line and raised a fault with BT.

The BT engineer that attended was very helpful and really went out of his way to identify any faults with the line, which tested ok. The BT engineer performed a DLM reset and put the Asus router back on the line which connected at 56Mbs. We both watched it re-sync about 8 times in 5 mins. He then went to the cabinet and a performed a lift and shift to make sure the port was not at fault. Again we tested the Asus router and it continued to re-sync.
The BT engineer then performed another DLM reset and put the ECI OpenReach modem on the line. (I am on an ECI cabinet FYI).
As the ECI modem is locked and you cannot get stats from it, the engineer made a phone call and stated it was connect at 55Mbs Down / 7Mbs Up on Fastpath. He said before leaving the DLM is in its 10 day test period so may re-sync from time to time. He advised leaving the OpenReach modem on the line for the time being. Its currently been connected for 47hrs without a single re-sync. I have to agree with the BT engineer here. It kinda difficult to expect BT to fix the issues a third party product has caused etc..

I have been in touch with Asus support who have been great and given me lots of different settings to try and even a beta firmware to test (Which was worse still).
I have kinda given up on this router for the time being and await a better firmware to be released, so its sat in the draw for now which is a little disappointing to say the least.

Best Regards

Bill.

Soldato
Did you know you can use BT Openreach HG612 Modem (unlocked) with stand alone directly to PC Lan port and will not using wifi. Will be fine without any wireless router. Been connected for five days!

Downstream Upstream
Attainable rate (kbit/s) 102332 36393
SNR margin (dB) 12.2 23.2
Line attenuation (dB) 0 0
Output power (dBmV) 12.5 -0.3

System up time 5 days 1 hours 13 minutes 58 seconds

Path 1
Downstream Upstream
Line rate (kbit/s) 79999 19999
CRC errors 151 105
FEC errors 0 0
HEC errors 169 0