• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE AMD DRIVERS THREAD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
I'll ask this in here rather then create another thread as it touches on many bases...

I'm far too happy with my current system and setup, so I'm going to keep it and do another build but a much smaller one...decided this build will feature a single 290/290x (what ever I get my hands on the cheapest!). The build will be mainly for big screen gaming (fifa on the tv etc..) as well as something transportable for Bf4!

So my question is regards to cpu/mb/socket and which one would likely to be the least problematic and most beneficial for mantle. I've narrowed my self to 3 options:

1. Z97 itx with a Pentium K

2. Fm2 itx with an 760k

3. Am3+ (itx seems slim pickings!) And a second hand 8320 or similar.

I'm leaning towards the Pentium k as it should be stronger in lower threaded games and benefit from mantle in the games I play that require higher thread counts.

Thoughts?

Soldato
Still getting driver issues since updating from 14.4. 14.9 gave me red screens, 14.9.1 cured the issue, but the fans on my GPU now go crazy whilst gaming.

Back to 14.4 I suppose.

Caporegime
Still getting driver issues since updating from 14.4. 14.9 gave me red screens, 14.9.1 cured the issue, but the fans on my GPU now go crazy whilst gaming.

Back to 14.4 I suppose.

Red screen indicates instability in your cpu or memory. Try upping cpu voltages, memory voltages and ensuring memory is stable, timings are correct etc.

I've diagnosed hundreds of red screen problems and every single one has been solved by the above.

Associate
Hopefully someone has a solution to this as it's a bugbear and not a performance issue but is caused by the AMD drivers.

Basically the High Definition Audio controller gets the exclamation mark after installing the drivers, regardless of whether it's 14.4 / 14.7 / 14.9 / 14.9.1

Any ideas or fixes?

iAEsley.png
^ before install ^

PrdXlD8.png
^ pre-install ^

HjRJtGZ.png
^ completed install ^

XsDK9dh.png
^ post install ^

Soldato
Matt, do you know if there is a fix incomming to stop the VRAM running at full speed on card 1 if you have 2 monitors with different resolutions connected?

I'm really tempted by the 8GB 290Xs but it annoys me that with my 2 x 290s the top card runs at 55ºC idle because the VRAM is constantly at 1250MHz.

With 3 x 290Xs I'd imagine they'll get even hotter than that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom